GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Veritek's GS400 Vertex-ed

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-07, 08:15 PM
Wringo
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default How did I miss this?

The two tone is catching on! It looks great!
Old 11-06-07, 08:26 PM
LEXUS_KID
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can't wait to see the pictures
Old 11-08-07, 09:02 AM
carbongs
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

quick update. the car should be done end of this week or early next.

Old 11-08-07, 12:16 PM
speedaddic
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The problem I see with the 2 tone is that because the shop didn't blend the bumpers, it looks like a bad paint job. Looks like none of the panels match and the 2 tone was not on purpose. Look at the front bumper and the fender...and the rear bumper and the quarter. Looks like everything on the car was butt matched instead of blended including the hood, roof and trunk. If they blended the bumpers then the two tone wouldve looked better...just my opinion man.
Old 11-08-07, 12:51 PM
carbongs
Lexus Champion

i believe it was the decision of the owner to keep costs down. the gs was not in bad condition so he decided to just paint the kit and the hood, top and trunk
Old 11-08-07, 01:55 PM
V8_Aristo
Bippu

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So why go 2tone instead of doing the paint job right? If you are in the show circuit, you know that there's more point deduction for unmatched panels than points added to a 2tone paint job. And eventhough it's not a show car, it still looks tacky and "half a**".

If my friend was going to do something like that, I would've insisted (not only suggested) to blend the adjacent panels than to do a 2tone paint job.
Old 11-08-07, 03:43 PM
carbongs
Lexus Champion

this is veritek's car and is going to be his daily. it was his decision and not mine. he also quoted to paint the whole car, was out of reach since he has other projects going on. but what can we say? we need to hear it from him.
Old 11-08-07, 05:50 PM
Chin
Former Sponsor

It's not that bad... go to a good detailer, have him put some life back in the original paint and call it a day. It's a daily driver and I wouldn't lose sleep over it. Even if it was blended, at some point the blend would have ended and you would still have slightly different shades/colors. The color may not even be off, but there is no way to duplicate paint that has been faded and is a few years old. Plus this is the internet, the car is dirty, and there are shadows all over the place in those pics...
Old 11-08-07, 06:48 PM
V8_Aristo
Bippu

I don't know what kind of bodyshops you got over there in GA, but if they can't do a simple blend to a panel to make it match, then they are light years behind.
Old 11-08-07, 06:57 PM
speedaddic
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Chin
It's not that bad... go to a good detailer, have him put some life back in the original paint and call it a day. It's a daily driver and I wouldn't lose sleep over it. Even if it was blended, at some point the blend would have ended and you would still have slightly different shades/colors. The color may not even be off, but there is no way to duplicate paint that has been faded and is a few years old. Plus this is the internet, the car is dirty, and there are shadows all over the place in those pics...
I own a bodyshop, if the internet doesn't hide the non colormatching, neither will some wax or compound...
Old 11-08-07, 10:04 PM
bluelex
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by speedaddic
I own a bodyshop, if the internet doesn't hide the non colormatching, neither will some wax or compound...
I have to agree with this statement, the internet will always hide things more than the naked eye will. I'm sure Bing with the help of his freinds and teammates will get everything sorted out. Noone will pay a body shop for mismatched parts unless they didn't notice. I'm sure Bing and the bodyshop will come to an agreement on what is cost effective and also what is exceptable work. Can't wait to see what wheels Bing has coming for this GS.
Old 11-08-07, 10:11 PM
1QWKGS4
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

I seen it in person since my car is at this same shop. It looks pretty good to me.. But what do i know - I like Silver cars.. hahaha
Old 11-09-07, 09:36 AM
veritek
Lexus Champion

Thanks for all the feedback, both critical and positive. That's what I like about CL, cuz for the most part, the critical feedback is good, honest advice, as long as it is stated that way, and not meant to be a put down. I hear you guys (V8 Aristo, and Speedaddic)about the mismatched paint, cuz that was my initial thought when I first walked up to the car. Overall, from many angles, you can't tell, due to the way the light hits the car, but from other angles, you can definitely tell, and me being in the show scene in the past and a being a bit nit picky myself, it just doesn't flow. I told the shop foreman about it, and we are working to resolve it. My first thought was the factory paint was in good condition, except for some minor swirls and scratches, but still had a very good polish and shine to it, but obviously, it has faded. Thanks Chin for the comments, but a good detail will only make the finish look good, but won't do anything for the color/hue difference in the new paint and the old.
Old 11-09-07, 10:31 AM
V8_Aristo
Bippu

Good to hear that you are getting it resolved.

You can't really blame your car from fading, since all paint manufacturers can only get close to matching the factory paint. On top of that, most clear coats will leave a slight tint that can throw off a perfectly matching color. This is just the nature of automotive refinishes and blending is almost always the answer to perfectly match panels.
Old 11-09-07, 01:30 PM
veritek
Lexus Champion

Yeah, I hear ya, trust me, I know the best way to match a bodykit is to repaint the whole car (sometimes even on a brand new car). Anyway, talked to the head guy, and he said the front and rear bumpers were reworked and match the car now. We'll see. They are wet sanding, buffing and finishing up today. They should have it done Monday. I told them to make sure there aren't any fish eyes in the clear coat too. He said he's going to go over the car himself. Again, we'll see.

Quick Reply: Veritek's GS400 Vertex-ed