GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

I hit a Deer! I hate Bambi

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-07, 12:32 AM
d3fc0N_21
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad to hear you're okay. Now find a "nice" body shop and get a JP GS160 front bumper, front grill, and 10th Anniversary Aristo Headlamp Housing
Old 11-01-07, 12:03 PM
LexusIV
Pole Position

On the topic of hitting deer, my dad was driving down the turnpike in Kansas (lots of deer). He saw one on the other side of the road and it started across. He was in the left lane with a semi on his right and another car behind him so he couldnt brake hard or try and dodge it. But right as the deer was about to jump the median into his car its hind legs got snagged by a semi. Talk about bloody.
Old 11-20-07, 08:54 AM
Georg
Driver School Candidate

Interesting you should mention the airbags did NOT deploy ! Going 70 ! How come ? Are they defective ? It's not like you went through marshmellow ! With that kind of damage you obviously hit pretty hard. What did it feel like sitting behind the wheel during impact ? Any injuries (seatbelt-burn ... etc) ? Would you have preferred to have the airbags deploy ? Do you think they should have deployed ?
Old 11-20-07, 09:01 AM
jdmpwr07
Driver

sucks dude...hope you get it fixed

i once hit a deer in my old rsx...it barely did any damage because i was going so slow. but my now ex gf hit one a week or two before i did and it totaled her car. just got to be careful.
Old 11-20-07, 09:35 AM
MrG4Life
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did anyone see in the news today about a deer that was caught on a police dash cam that ran towards the car and hopped over the hood and ran away?
Old 11-20-07, 09:41 AM
MRD13
Rookie

a street sweeper hit me and ,made me hit a tree. trade ya. haha
Old 11-20-07, 08:13 PM
ReLexin
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hows Bambi? Still alive i hope eating berries in the forest..
Old 11-20-07, 10:10 PM
2turbo4u
Lexus Test Driver

I hate Bambi!
Old 11-20-07, 10:39 PM
VNN326
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

i guess bambi likes close-up's of gs's lol.......
Old 11-20-07, 11:31 PM
Stage3
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by blacksc400
where is the blood? hair? furs?
you sure you hit a deer at 70MPH??? your car could been a lot worse.
Anyway, you are OK, that's the news we wanna hear.
Hope it is not a total loss. ( could be if there is any engine damage )
You have to remember something about this... a deer is a soft target. By the looks of the damage, the track of the car and the deer were perpendicular. Meaning that they intersected at a "T". Looks like he hit the deer in the rib cage. In the other photos you see of deers being blown to bits with blood and guts everywhere, the angle of attack is much different. When you hit a deer in the rib cage, you aren't going to get much carnage. You are just going to get a dead deer and a heap of damage to the vehicle (as evident with the photos provided). I can assure you that there is deer hair there... Having hit a deer before myself, even the darkest deer hair is almost white (if not clear) when it's not on the deer itself.

If the driver would have hit something harder, say a pole or another car, the shape of the impact would be MUCH different. The impact on a pole is more of a "wrap around" rather than an "absorption." The difference between the two is that a pole will leave the shape of a pole in the front end of the vehicle (unless you are moving rather slow) because of the rigidity of the object. A "softer" target, such as a deer or a human, leaves more of an impact implying that the target that was struck gave little bit before it bounced off the hood of the car. That's why when you look at the under the hood pics, you see a lot of smooth bends rather than sharp and angular bends (like you would get in an impact with a car or a pole).

As for the air bags... chances are the air bags wouldnt go off. A deer that would create that sort of damage doesn't weigh a great deal. Maybe 100-150 lbs. Anything more than that and you are making a bigger impact and and more force would come into play. The brain for the air bags on the GS (as are for most cars) is in the center console under the arm rest. While the collision would have had an impact speed of 140 mph, the target was forgiving and did not have much mass to it resulting in a non airbag deployment. If you have the same impact with another car at about 35-40 mph (collision speed of about 70-80 mph), you'll more than likely see a deployment mainly because of the mass of the object he's hitting.

Man... i guess all these engineering classes are paying off!

Sorry to see your GS like that... I know what it's like to have a deer dart out on you. Luckily for me it was in my neighborhood and at slow speeds. I can't even imagine it at 70-80 mph. Yikes. It's over before you even knew what happened.

BTW... after that impact, Bambi is worm food.
Old 11-24-07, 05:33 PM
99Aristo
Lead Lap

Holy Schnikes! That sucks......she'll be back soon though....hope you get a good rental car. Doubt it'll compare to the Lex.
Old 11-30-07, 06:43 PM
Lexamatic
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jjll25
If I had hit a light poll the bumper would be crushed as light polls do not hover 2 feet off the ground. Second when I hit the deer it shot straight up into the air off to the side. When you hit an animal standing still at 70mph with something as heavy as a car it doesn't come towards you. I takes flying lessons. If were going around 45 or so I suspect that it would've landed on my windshield or through the sunroof. That would've been a great picture.
Having hit a deer myself many years ago, this is quite literally what happens.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=Q26wXGN_0Zg
Old 12-01-07, 11:12 AM
jjll25
Driver School Candidate

Well I finally get my car back this next week. Ended up having to have an engine replacement. The car overheated and lost a rod or something like that. Oh well atleast the new engine has about 10,000 miles less than my old one. Final bill with everything included, from towing to rental coverage body work and engine replacement, 12K. Geez
Old 12-01-07, 12:28 PM
MrG4Life
Lexus Champion

That's good news to hear. Be sure to to post a pic or two of the results.
Old 12-01-07, 06:00 PM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Stage3
The brain for the air bags on the GS (as are for most cars) is in the center console under the arm rest. While the collision would have had an impact speed of 140 mph, the target was forgiving and did not have much mass to it resulting in a non airbag deployment. If you have the same impact with another car at about 35-40 mph (collision speed of about 70-80 mph), you'll more than likely see a deployment mainly because of the mass of the object he's hitting.

Man... i guess all these engineering classes are paying off!
Actually, impact speed would of been 70mph in his case. Bambi is running perpendicular to the car. Now, if Bambi somehow managed to run head on into the car at full speed...I'd say maximum impact velocity would be about 90-100mph. Last time I checked, deer don't run 70mph

As for the airbags, the sensors are actually right behind the headlight. Looks like the deer caved the car right in the middle so the sensors didn't get crushed. Those sensors will also trigger airbag deployment if it senses an excess amount of deceleration G forces. I would say a 3800lb car hitting a 150-200lb deer would slow you down no more than 5mph. While that is quite a bit of energy absorbed, it is not enough to trigger the airbags. And luckily for him that the airbags didn't deploy. It would NOT be a good thing for those bags to pop out at that speed. You would probably lose control and go off the road or crash into some trees due to the sudden shock/scare from the bags.

Quick Reply: I hit a Deer! I hate Bambi