GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Do you prefer the GS with no spoiler, the stock spoiler, or an aftermarket spoiler?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-02, 10:59 AM
(f)-LEX-ible
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I like the GS without a spoiler. I just can't seem to get cozy with the idea of a four door car with a spoiler. It's kinda like a four door convertible... just out of place.

Although if I were forced at gunpoint to put a spoiler on my car it would be a "lip" type spoiler. Subtle is better.
Old 01-16-02, 11:52 AM
TLEX
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No spoiler for me. I just took my stock one off. Imo, the spoiler messes up the GS's beautiful bodyline. If I were to get a spoiler, I would get a flat-flush style. Classy, clean, and elegant.
Old 01-16-02, 11:53 AM
ThemisN
Pole Position

I dunno guys...just something about the car with a spoiler. I like the lip idea also...subtle but makes the point. With the spoiler...it looks like the car is ready to take off...what is so out of place with a SPORTS luxury sedan having a spoiler? If I wanted a regular sedan I wouldve bought one..hehe.

[IMG WIDTH=200 HEIGHT=100]http://members.bellatlantic.net/~vze24mkh/TNN_GS4_REARANGLE.jpg[/IMG]
Old 01-16-02, 11:54 AM
ThemisN
Pole Position

Default lets try that again...looks hot

Old 01-16-02, 12:47 PM
Christobol
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

ThemisN I LOVE the way your car looks!!! Man seeing that I start to regret my IS.

Okay done regretting it.
Old 01-16-02, 01:03 PM
xsuperjoex
Lexus Test Driver

I love the LIP Spoiler ala Explosion..take a look...it changes the *** of the car to something a little different!
Attached Thumbnails Do you prefer the GS with no spoiler, the stock spoiler, or an aftermarket spoiler?-the-ass.jpg  
Old 01-16-02, 03:14 PM
CamRen
Lexus Champion

i likeeeeeeee this one.

Old 01-16-02, 03:41 PM
LS4fun
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I VOTE FOR BOTH.

I have the stock spoiler AND an aftermarker spoiler...well....its the rear window spoiler...does that count?????

ehehehe
Attached Thumbnails Do you prefer the GS with no spoiler, the stock spoiler, or an aftermarket spoiler?-rear8.jpg  
Old 01-16-02, 03:46 PM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by Dexter

Mine has a little more of a lip - the comparison side-by-side with an OEM pictures are on my other machine - the local dealer actually uses these on all his GSs.

I'll post a pic later tonight.
Attached Thumbnails Do you prefer the GS with no spoiler, the stock spoiler, or an aftermarket spoiler?-dsc00541.jpg  
Old 01-16-02, 04:03 PM
gs3_4me
Intermediate

I like the 2001s and newer without the rear spoiler. However, the 1998-2000 model looks better with.

I think it has something to do with how they changed the rear lights....
Old 01-16-02, 04:50 PM
garnet92
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Another opinion

Apparently I’m not a big fan of spoilers of any kind. I always felt like the first generation SC3 with its clean deck looked better than my SC4 with it’s factory spoiler.

When I bought the GS, I would’ve gone for the “spoilerless” look If I’d had that choice. Of course, in a perfect world, I’d scrap the redundant trunk lights as well. And while several aftermarket spoilers look nice, I still prefer the stock one. I do envy the dudes without the spoiler but not enough to fight the hassle of removing mine. I do like the rear end look a little better now since debadging though.

In my opinion, the basic GS design has always cried out for several cosmetic improvements – the most important is lowering – the single greatest bang for the bucks in looks you can make, the car looks so much better lowered – nice aftermarket wheels probably next – then I’d go for the de-badged trunk (leaving the oval “L”) and an aftermarket or chrome grille (I chose RMM). And finally, since my ride is pearl white, dark tinted windows. I know some others will disagree with this list but after all … its MY list!
Old 01-16-02, 05:30 PM
ThemisN
Pole Position

That deck spoiler is nice. I was thinking about getting it too, but since I may be dumping the car soon, SCRATCH THAT. As far as front grill goes, There are a whole bunch that look great.. I also opted for the RMM , to continue with the flow of how my car was developing...

Old 01-16-02, 05:53 PM
LS4fun
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by ThemisN
That deck spoiler is nice. I was thinking about getting it too, but since I may be dumping the car soon, SCRATCH THAT. As far as front grill goes, There are a whole bunch that look great.. I also opted for the RMM , to continue with the flow of how my car was developing...

Yeah RMM grill IS the best...love that mesh backing..
Old 01-16-02, 07:40 PM
Sleepyboi
Lead Lap

i like the RMM 3 piece "lip" spoiler. I just got one...cant wait to get it on. =)

Boris
Old 01-16-02, 07:50 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I used to think that only 2-door cars look good with a spoiler. Then a buncha sedans look nice with spoiler. Then I thought sedans can't use the HIGH-type spoilers. Then cars like WRX and EVO came out
Attached Thumbnails Do you prefer the GS with no spoiler, the stock spoiler, or an aftermarket spoiler?-prodrive.jpg  

Quick Reply: Do you prefer the GS with no spoiler, the stock spoiler, or an aftermarket spoiler?