GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Do you prefer the GS with no spoiler, the stock spoiler, or an aftermarket spoiler?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-02, 08:38 PM
2SAVVY
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I think I have to side with Fever and say that the GS looks wrong without a spoiler.. And the stock spoiler IMO looks really nice.. Without the spoiler like someone mentioned before makes the GS look like an OLD man car and it loses its sporty flare..

I'm still trying to source a neon third brake light that would fit in the stock spoiler like what Caddilac uses on the DTS.. Much brighter and lasts much much longer.. If I find out who can make it I will start another thread if anyone else is interested..

If our GS didn't come with a factory spoiler I think I would of gone with the TTE lip one like Qbranch got done to his car so I wouldn't have to fiddle with the brake light on the inside of the car.. With the 3M tape no holes to drill either..
Old 01-17-02, 12:19 AM
v300
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Veilside It completes the aerodynamic line from the hood to the trunk.
Old 01-17-02, 05:22 AM
GoldRush
Driver School Candidate

Cool Function

Just curious... None of the respondents on this thread talk about the function of a rear spoiler. Does the stock spoiler work only above a certain speed and/or do the aftermarket models work as well or better?

Seems I would worry a little about double sided tape in the southern climes during the summer season; especially at speed. Can you trust tape on a 117 degree day at high speeds?

And if the Lexus spoilers are for looks only, forget about it! Makes washing & waxing a lot more difficult. I enjoy a clean ride and anything that makes that easier is okay by me.

Most every car today is designed on a computer with wind and slip coefficients factored in. The GS series are very smooth moving through the air; does the addition of something not designed at the Lexus factory really help that smoothness?

Thanks for the opportunity to present this view...
Old 01-17-02, 05:43 AM
D-MAN63
Lexus Champion

NO SPOILER. It does look like an old man's car if its STOCKED. Add rims and drop it, you will get a clean looking GS.
Old 01-17-02, 05:43 AM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Function

Originally posted by GoldRush
Just curious... None of the respondents on this thread talk about the function of a rear spoiler. Does the stock spoiler work only above a certain speed and/or do the aftermarket models work as well or better?
Disclaimer: I don't know jack about aerodynamics

I'd say 90% of the spoiler is looks. Very little true functionality.

Seems I would worry a little about double sided tape in the southern climes during the summer season; especially at speed. Can you trust tape on a 117 degree day at high speeds?
Sure - that stuff is tronger than snot - it was probably developed with computers too. Mine actually uses bolts.

And if the Lexus spoilers are for looks only, forget about it! Makes washing & waxing a lot more difficult.
Nah - not difficult at all. They are flat surfaces with plenty of clearance.

Most every car today is designed on a computer with wind and slip coefficients factored in. The GS series are very smooth moving through the air; does the addition of something not designed at the Lexus factory really help that smoothness?
No, again, I'm guessing little functionality - just personal preference for aesthetics.

Welcome to CL!
Old 01-17-02, 06:27 AM
ThemisN
Pole Position

The problem with this past guy's questions is that he goes back and referencing both an aftermarket lip (with the double sided tape) and the stock spoiler.

My take on both and the so-called issues....

Stock:
Work? It has a function? Possibly..couldnt really care less...again this adds to the car and makes it look like the sports sedan it is.

Waxing and Washing more difficult?You have to be kidding! I am picky about those things too, but while I am willing to spend extra time on the car, I can assure you washing and drying the car will take you a total of 10 secs total more than without the spoiler. And waxing is just as easy as it is a VERY FLAT surface with plenty of room underneath to do what u have to do.

Lip:
Function...not really...just a little spice. BMW uses it on the M cars also.

Washing..no problem. I dont have the experience from trying to wax a car with a lip, but I would think it would be more difficult removing residue in the crack between the car and the lip. I wouldnt worry about the thing flying off at any speed, unless u didnt thoroughly clean the surface of the trunk when u installed it, thus installing it incorrectly.

Also, in either of these cases, I am sure the change , +/-, in the drag coefficient is so meaningless for our purposes, this shouldnt be crossing your mind. Perhaps if you planned on running 20 or so laps on a track at 140 mph....then maybe it would mean SOMETHING.
Old 01-17-02, 07:18 AM
mcgong
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm for the spoiler. So 1 vote for spoiler. Like everyone else, it gives the car a more sporty look. Personally I like the stock spoiler or the LSportsline one. JMO.
Old 01-17-02, 07:52 AM
damnboy
Pole Position

No spoiler. I like the clean look and it looks so sexy.
I totally agree DIESELMAN63 said " It does look like an old man's car if its STOCKED. Add rims and drop it, you will get a clean looking GS."
Old 01-17-02, 03:10 PM
QBranchCars
Lead Lap

Default Re: Function

I just posted a Car and Driver article entitled "Do Air Dams, Spoilers, and Wings Work?" in the main CL section.
Old 02-16-02, 11:36 AM
alexus
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Cool

i prefer to have a custom spoiler!
Old 02-16-02, 08:39 PM
MichaelC
Driver School Candidate

A vote for no spoiler. I used to own a Nissan Maxima with a spoiler and it was annoying to clean under there. I also think that the GS spoiler-less has a cleaner look.
Old 02-17-02, 11:49 AM
ezlyf
Driver

Default Re: Do you prefer the GS with no spoiler, the stock spoiler, or an aftermarket spoiler?

Originally posted by SuperLex
What do aftermarket spoilers cost compared to the stock lexus one?
If you are still thinking about a spoiler or wing..... i posted a research and development picture gallery on this thread..... https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...threadid=38003
Old 02-17-02, 12:51 PM
GS400_PUSHER
Lexus Champion

I like both set ups but since I have a spoiler.......You know which one I going for.
Old 02-17-02, 01:18 PM
LexusRules
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

say what u want but this is sweet stuff.
Attached Thumbnails Do you prefer the GS with no spoiler, the stock spoiler, or an aftermarket spoiler?-whitegshugewing.jpg  
Old 02-17-02, 01:20 PM
LexusRules
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

this is nicr
Attached Thumbnails Do you prefer the GS with no spoiler, the stock spoiler, or an aftermarket spoiler?-ap161rr.jpg  

Quick Reply: Do you prefer the GS with no spoiler, the stock spoiler, or an aftermarket spoiler?