GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Anyone doing a timing belt job. Want to split tool costs?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-07, 01:56 PM
cpone
There can only be One

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Damn you guys are scaring me man. I need to do this thing this weekend.
Keeps fingers crossed.
Old 11-06-07, 09:32 PM
ElitistK
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Euphoric
Oh and Jeff, once you said that tool I remembered someone made one that worked for them. Said it cost them $2 in materials, this is the only pics I could find of it though. Might want to try this before dropping coin on the read deal.

hmm, so can we also attach that triangular thing onto the stock pulley?
Old 11-06-07, 10:13 PM
bigmemory
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like a great job to have the mechanic do. ...
Old 11-07-07, 01:42 AM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Euphoric
Oh and Jeff, once you said that tool I remembered someone made one that worked for them. Said it cost them $2 in materials, this is the only pics I could find of it though. Might want to try this before dropping coin on the read deal.
I don't know if that $2 tool will work. Either way, I'm too damn frustrated lol. I just went and ordered the real tool. The one I bought gives you two points of leverage...almost doubling the torque. That tool you posted a picture of just holds the crank in place while you try for dear life to loosen it. You still only have one point of leverage...as in one breaker bar pulling on it. With the special tool you have 2 breaker bars and two people pulling in opposite directions. I hope the tool holds up. I'm gonna kill someone if this thing snaps in half because I'm all out of ideas lol. I really don't wana heat the bolt up and risk damaging the pulley, but if this tool doesn't work then that's what I'm gonna have to do.
Old 11-07-07, 08:26 AM
Euphoric
Pole Position

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffTsai
I don't know if that $2 tool will work. Either way, I'm too damn frustrated lol. I just went and ordered the real tool. The one I bought gives you two points of leverage...almost doubling the torque. That tool you posted a picture of just holds the crank in place while you try for dear life to loosen it. You still only have one point of leverage...as in one breaker bar pulling on it. With the special tool you have 2 breaker bars and two people pulling in opposite directions. I hope the tool holds up. I'm gonna kill someone if this thing snaps in half because I'm all out of ideas lol. I really don't wana heat the bolt up and risk damaging the pulley, but if this tool doesn't work then that's what I'm gonna have to do.
I feel ya, I just tossed that out there since it would have been cheaper than the FST. Are you running the stock dampner or a lightweight pulley? I was switching back to the stock dampner from an unorthadox LW one since I replaced the clutch with a LW flywheel and there was no way I was going to risk running something lightweight on both ends of the crank with no dampner.... so I didn't care about messing up the LW pulley.

Boostlogic has a great SFI approved lightened and dampened crank pulley if that was a route you wanted to take. Unless you already have a LW pulley. I'm rambling, sorry, GL on getting it off!
Old 11-07-07, 08:00 PM
BLAZE
Lexus Test Driver

Did u try the heat route? I would buy a small propane torch and heat that bad boy till it's cherry red, then bust out the breaker bar......worth a shot
Old 11-07-07, 08:14 PM
gserep1
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My stock 99 GS400's bolt came off using a long breaker bar and the starter trick when I did mine. Wow, what a story.
Old 11-08-07, 04:02 PM
Gs430Boi
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by JeffTsai
I don't know why but the freaking crank bolt just won't come off. I've tried everything short of a 2000ftlb impact gun, and this is my last resort. I'm gonna buy a $80 tool that supposedly makes removing that bolt much much easier. It's called a Toyota Crankshaft Pulley Holding Tool. Yes, very creative name I'm sure. Just a very simple piece of metal, not sure why it costs so much but it just does. Basically it gives you two points of leverage. So get two long breaker bars and have two people with one on each end pulling as hard as they can. Reason I considered doing this is because it seems like a few of you guys here doing timing belts are having the same issue as me lol.

Anyways, here's the deal. I'm only going to use this tool once for a very long time. You're probably gonna be in the same situation as well. Timing belt done, and won't ever need it again for the next 90k miles.

Long story short, I propose to do a "tool share". Basically I'm gonna buy the $80 tool, use it and then loan it out for $10. Basically you give me $80 to borrow the tool for a few days(downpayment just incase you snap it in half or "lose it"). You also have to cover shipping both ways. When I get the tool back, I'll send $65 back to you($5 shipping costs on top of the $10 ). You'll probably end up paying $20 total at the end. Much better than spending $80 on a tool that you will use one time

Anyone interested? Mods if this is against the rules just lock/close the thread.
hey jeff you should of rented it at advance auto for free just a deposit
Old 11-08-07, 10:09 PM
ElitistK
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Gs430Boi
hey jeff you should of rented it at advance auto for free just a deposit
do they actually have it? it's an SST so i doubt it.
Old 11-09-07, 02:37 PM
Gs430Boi
Lead Lap

yea they do its called a pulley kit i used it on my gs400 and my friend is300
Old 11-12-07, 03:33 PM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Well, the pulley kit is just to pull off the stuck on pulley. Kinda like how a brake rotor removal tool works. They don't actually have the factory SST to aid in removal of the bolt.

But the good news...I finally got the damned crank bolt off with the new tool. WOOHOO!!!

It took a HELL of a effort to get that thing off. I had my 250lb friend help me. Also in addition to all that we had two 24" breaker bars and one had a 5 foot extension. We basically pulled it like tug of war for a good 10 minutes solid before the bolt finally gave way.

Now, who else needs to borrow the tool. If you do, just PM me.
Old 11-12-07, 04:40 PM
cpone
There can only be One

I'll let you know if I need this on Saturday.
That is when I am doing my Timing belt..

Sits back and prays to the Lexus Gods.....
Old 11-12-07, 09:40 PM
GS FONZy
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Jeff did you already hit 90k or are you doing this for someone else?
Old 11-12-07, 10:43 PM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by GS FONZy
Jeff did you already hit 90k or are you doing this for someone else?
I'm putting a new engine in my car lol
I think I'm the only person in the world replacing an engine in a 2005 GS with 20k miles
Old 11-13-07, 08:28 AM
TRD911
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I had the exact same problems that you guys are talking about trying to get the damper pulley bolt off of my 00 Tundra with the V8.

What I wound out doing was going to the flywheel and wedging a screwdriver into the teath and going back to the breaker bar. It came right off with little effort. This was after i used an air impact, an electric impact and the breaker bar.

A friend of mine did his and used an old serpentine belt to hold the pulley. I did not want to ruin my belt.

BP

Quick Reply: Anyone doing a timing belt job. Want to split tool costs?