GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Please share your Double Din HU in your 2GS

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-08, 11:51 PM
LexusK
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Lol well I was just thinking, if these play CDs, why not try to get it where you can store 6 of em and rotate them like for the stock ones. This would be easier than having to take out a CD everytime. It was just a thought. Im looking out for my changer! lol
Old 12-18-08, 12:47 AM
PushinLEX
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LexusK
Lol well I was just thinking, if these play CDs, why not try to get it where you can store 6 of em and rotate them like for the stock ones. This would be easier than having to take out a CD everytime. It was just a thought. Im looking out for my changer! lol
That would be encouraging obsolete technology due to the fact that most are run MP3's, DVDs, and Ipod functions.
Old 12-18-08, 03:19 PM
GS FONZy
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by LexusK
What did you guys do with the 6disk changer in the glove compartment? Is it still possible to use it?
Replaced it with a DVD changer

However; I have heard of a plug that can be made or bought to run a Pionner HU and the stock changer. But, I can not confirm that.
Old 12-19-08, 07:29 AM
Deebo16
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PushinLEX
Eclipse AVN 6620 w/ Eclipse BEC 106 Backup Cam + Carson Double Din Kit (only in-dash kit to get, looks 100% OEM) [Sorry pics are SUPER crappy]

Just for a comparison here is my old setup: w/ the TM Engineering in dash kit, as you can tell it not as flush or OEM looking:

Wow you really brought me back to when I had the same Precision Power EQ in my Civic. I loved that piece so much before it took a crap on me.
Old 12-19-08, 09:03 PM
matty7771
Driver School Candidate

Iso mount it. that is the fastest and cleanest way to do the install..
Old 03-02-09, 11:49 AM
j_version_
Pole Position

Originally Posted by matty7771
Iso mount it. that is the fastest and cleanest way to do the install..
whats iso mount??

and is it possible to keep the factory sub working with an aftermarket DD?

and whats the best install kit?
Old 03-02-09, 03:15 PM
ZippyGuy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by j_version_
whats iso mount??

and is it possible to keep the factory sub working with an aftermarket DD?

and whats the best install kit?
+1

Is there any way to install a DD without rewiring the entire car? I mean, I would LOVE a new stereo but don't want to go through the expense and effort of rewiring my car.
Old 03-02-09, 03:51 PM
Infamous 1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ZippyGuy
+1

Is there any way to install a DD without rewiring the entire car? I mean, I would LOVE a new stereo but don't want to go through the expense and effort of rewiring my car.
I think that there was someone that was able to wire it and keep the factory amp and sub, but it's more work than needed. Doing a DD install with new sub and amp isn't too bad but it requires some time (5 hours +/-). It requires taking out a lot of interior pieces, but the end result is well worth it. I just recently did it and it wasn't that hard, just time consuming. If you decide to do it on your own, shoot me a pm if you have any problems.
Old 03-02-09, 04:07 PM
sam430
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Infamous 1
I think that there was someone that was able to wire it and keep the factory amp and sub, but it's more work than needed. Doing a DD install with new sub and amp isn't too bad but it requires some time (5 hours +/-). It requires taking out a lot of interior pieces, but the end result is well worth it. I just recently did it and it wasn't that hard, just time consuming. If you decide to do it on your own, shoot me a pm if you have any problems.
You don't have to do it all in one day. You can do it and still use the car daily.

Day one: Grab the rear seats and lift up. Remove the two rear headrest and open the flap - unbolt and remove rear back rest. Un-clip the console with some flathead. Put the seats away.

Day two: Pre-wiring

reference: LINKED-UP
Old 03-02-09, 04:47 PM
ZippyGuy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Infamous 1
DUDE!!

You've had your car just over a year and you've modded THAT much!!?? NICE!! I'll hit you up, I've always wanted a DD.

BTW - if you want to stop by sometime and pic up the Weapon-R to see if you like it for a couple of weeks, let me know.
Old 03-02-09, 08:33 PM
Infamous 1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ZippyGuy
DUDE!!

You've had your car just over a year and you've modded THAT much!!?? NICE!! I'll hit you up, I've always wanted a DD.

BTW - if you want to stop by sometime and pic up the Weapon-R to see if you like it for a couple of weeks, let me know.
I have actually only had my car a little over 6 months. Maybe i will come by and pick up the intake from you. More than likely it will be next week before i can get out that way.
Old 03-02-09, 09:00 PM
istundra
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

From my understanding, you must bypass the factory amp due to the multiplexing issue between the factory HU and AMP.

I have personally, and many other 2GS owners, have bought Toyota Stereo Harness and plugged it into the wiring from the amp, which goes directly to the speaker.

Granted since the 2GS does not have a wiring harness, the Toyota harness plugged in will not be color coded. This means, you are using the harness merely for the harness. You still need to know what which wire goes to which.

I did not have to cut any wires while installing my DD. I just used the two toyota harness and a few taps for the other wires.
Old 10-22-11, 11:04 PM
AndyWSU
Driver School Candidate

Where do I purchase a dash kit with the single din and the EQ slot at the bottom?
Old 10-23-11, 10:55 AM
Busha
Pole Position

Originally Posted by istundra
How far does your eclipse HU stick out from the kit? I plan to flush mount mine.

Thank you!
That wood don't Evan look like it matches
Old 11-16-12, 01:47 PM
doug118
Rookie

I'm going to bring this thread back because there are a quite a few people in here with the dash kit I'm looking for but not a single one says who makes it. I'm looking for the double din kit with the beveled trim. Can anyone tell me who makes it?

Quick Reply: Please share your Double Din HU in your 2GS