GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Starter fried???

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-07, 09:51 AM
Deception
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starter fried???

Well it started this morning. You know how the cold can do many weird things to a car. Today morning i autostarted my car, to warm it up before to class. when i steped outside to my car i heard my car still cranking on the starter and it sounds like a whining crank and i smelled smoke. the car was already started and its stiill cranking. Right now when ever i start the car the starter sounds weak. Im thinking the starter is bad, bad solinoid. I havent got under my car to check it yet
Old 11-07-07, 10:10 AM
ta1972
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Can't really see the starter,because if it's a gs4 like mine it's underneath the intake manifold.If it's a gs3,it's also underneath. I just did the starter on my car last night and what PITA... My starter was still good ,but i changed it anyways since i took out the intake.
Old 11-07-07, 10:29 AM
Deception
Lexus Test Driver

i wonder how much are the starters at the dealer. but im gonna pull up the information on the starter on alldata to see how hard
Old 11-07-07, 04:16 PM
Lexamatic
Pole Position

Avoid the local stealer. They will try to sell you a re-man and not bother to tell you it isnt a brand new unit unless you press them on it.

I would order the starter from Sewell Lexus. Their prices are usually good. There are threads on here explaining how to change it out.
Old 11-07-07, 06:10 PM
Straight6
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

just go to advanced or autozone.. they carry starters with lifetime warranty. just make sure you get new intake manifold gaskets from the dealer. just go ahead and change the starter. it'll give you the peace of mind knowing you dont have to worry about it for a long time.
Old 11-07-07, 07:13 PM
gserep1
Lead Lap

In my humble opinion the TOYOTA Remanufactured starter is a better rebuild than something AUTOZONE or PEP BOYS produces. The quality is in the REBUILD, not the name.

Toyota remanufactured starters are just like new because they use ALL new parts with the exception of the cases. Even they are hot tanked, and all bearings and windings are changed. Even the nuts and bolts are new.

This is the same starter they put in any car that comes to the dealership. The red tag on the starter clearly states that it is a remanufactured starter, so there is no suprise. For about $220.00, I haven't been able to find a better starter. NEW starters for the GS are about $600.00 WHEN you can find one. I would surmise that the PEP BOYS or AUTOZONE or ADVANCED starter costs less than that.

SEWELL LEXUS also sells the remanufactured starter. Just ask them and they will tell you that. They charge a $30.00 core until they get that old one back. MOST times it is just the SOLENOID, or switch on top of starter. The switch clicks each time, and the current burns the contacts up after awhile. The windings and brushes in the motor are usually still good.

The contacts are not sold separately at Toyota for good reason. If only the bad parts are changed and it goes back in, chances are it will not work another 8 years before it goes out again. It needs to be done right the first time for peace of mind.

I've done a 99 GS which is my car, and a 99 LS, which is my brother in laws. The GS is FAR easier, because the wiring harnesses and heater hoses are closer to the engine on the LS. More stuff has to be removed.

I used to work for Pep Boys, and we used to get back starters all the time using that lifetime warranty. ALL we did was give the customer another one if we did not do the install. If we DID do the install, we gave them the starter, but we still charged for the labor. This is okay if the starter is an easy change, BUT we all know that the starter on the GS400 is very labor-intensive, and the greatest part of the charge is for the labor. I like a lifetime warranty, BUT I want a quality starter that doesn't NEED a lifetime warranty. If I can get 8 years out of the starter I just put in, I will be happy. Usually the lifetime provision only applies to the original owner, and doesn't transfer to a new owner. Always a catch.

I did my starter 2 years ago, and have had NO problems whatsoever. I feel confident that it will last a long time, especially if I keep my battery and terminal connections in good shape.

To each his own, but to imply that somehow the Toyota Remanufactured starter is in any way inferior to a PEP BOYS or AUTOZONE starter is in my opinion wrong. Most original starters last 8 to 10 years, and this is all one should reasonably expect from a starter.

I simply don't believe that anyone makes a better remanufactured starter than Toyota. It looks like new and performs like new with the SAME parts that came in the NEW starter.

Thanks

Last edited by gserep1; 11-07-07 at 07:27 PM.
Old 11-07-07, 07:20 PM
Deception
Lexus Test Driver

its for a gs300, i dont know think you need to change the intake manifold. i looked at alldata it doesnt show that i need to change the gasket
Old 11-07-07, 07:22 PM
Deception
Lexus Test Driver

ouch geez thats expensive for a starter. i dont know why the starter was stuck. i went to where i work at murray's and i did a on-car test. checked my battery is still good its outputting 900cca and alternator is working. my next guess is to take the starter out and check the cables. i did smell smoke.
Old 11-07-07, 07:42 PM
gserep1
Lead Lap

What you smelled was the contacts inside the starter. They melted together, and kept the starter turning even after the engine started. The contacts finally came apart and the starter stopped, but now that they melted together that time, they can't carry the complete current anymore. So now the starter turns slower when you turn the key. The windings also got really hot from turning with the engine running. I am sure they turned longer than the 2 to 3 seconds on a normal start. Not a pretty sight.

Chances are we are talking about a 8 to 10 year old car. That starter has been subjected to constant engine heat inside the engine between the block and the intake. It does a hell of a job in those conditions.

I like doing my own work, but would not enjoy changing that starter any more than absolutely necessary. EVERYONE will charge the labor for another starter if you have it done again.

So it is your choice, but you get what you pay for in my humble opinion. You don't have to use a Toyota starter. If you don't plan on keeping the car too much longer, why bother spending the extra cash? But I have a 99, and I have had my car since 2004. I plan on keeping it for quite a while.

Good luck in whatever you decide. If you have any technical questions if you decide to change it yourself, just let us know. I'll look in my shop manual for the GS and see if you have to remove the intake manifold on the 6 cylinder engine. I simply don't know the answer to that just yet.

Thanks again.

Last edited by gserep1; 11-07-07 at 07:49 PM.
Old 11-08-07, 11:01 AM
Deception
Lexus Test Driver

so i have to remove the intake manifold and change the gasket and yeah gserep1 your about right it is about 8 to 10 years. im about to get under my car and check out the starter. the starter still cranks a bit and somethimes it dont, the problem is im just afriad that the starter might die out one day and im stranded
Old 11-12-07, 12:05 PM
gserep1
Lead Lap

Yes,
On the GS400/430 you won't be able to see the starter from uinder the starter. I looked for mine when I did my first oil change. I could not see one. I panicked and said, "I'll bet this will be a bear to change when I need to".

I then decided to check up on this LONG before I needed a starter. I was ready. So far I have done 3 of these, 2 on GS's and one on a LS. The LS is far worse, but is definitely do-able.

This starter is only accessed from the top, under the hood. The whole intake manifold has to be removed, but it is not really that tough.

On the GS300, the intake does NOT have to be removed. The starter is on the drivers' side of the engine below the intake. It is near the firewall out back. I have never done a GS300, but I would assume it is nit the easiest starter to do. It SHOULD be easier than a GS400/430 though.

I wished you were in the San Diego / LA area...I'd offer to give you a hand.

Last edited by gserep1; 11-12-07 at 12:11 PM.
Old 11-13-07, 08:05 AM
Deception
Lexus Test Driver

no doesnt seem that bad, all i need is a universal joint socket and i can fit it underneath and remove the starter, thats if your uncomfortable working at the bottom, but when i looked up it seems easier working from top down then bottom up. but thanks for the offer tho