GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Just wondering...how many of the 2GS owners have sponsors?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-07, 11:50 AM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Just wondering...how many of the 2GS owners have sponsors?

I'm just curious to see who is modding their car with their own disposable funds and who has the sweet life of just picking parts from a catalog and buying them with the sponsor "credit card." Damn...wish I had a sponsor. First thing would be a nice BBK setup and some new 3-piece wheels! OK guys, who wants to sponsor me...I will go to all of the shows (I promise)!lol...
Old 11-07-07, 12:53 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

if that's how you see about sponsorship, it's a big mistake.

do you know how hard it is to get REAL sponsorships? you probably have to throw a lot more money into the car first before people recognize you and willing to sponsor. get a stock car and without reputation on your history no one is going to bite.

just going to shows wont' really cut you much, it's a lot of dedication and hard work. my cars are never sponsored. i sometimes got decent deals on some parts, but i can tell you that's not before i spent crap load of money to build up my name and network first.

i still keep in mind that do what you can, that's how you should. never be a poser. sponsorship is one "plus" for those who are being sponsored, but personally i think a lot of them can just afford those parts by themselves already
Old 11-07-07, 01:17 PM
tommyGS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sponsored by Smartwax
www.smartwax.com
Old 11-07-07, 04:43 PM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Going to a few local car shows isn't enough if you're looking for sponsorships
larger than fog lights or exhaust tips. Larger companies who produce
high-end, high-dollar products want... demand national exposure, media
coverage, the works. Some of the bigger projects I've worked on over the
years were backed by BIG companies (Turtle Wax, McDonalds, GM, etc.)
and they expect the vehicles to be campaigned on a rigorous schedule
across the country... or they occasionally campaign a vehicle themselves!

The best place to start is to build a killer show car yourself... make it unique,
make it clean, make it consistent and not hodge-podge. Once you have some
success at shows and get some media attention, the bigger sponsors will
seek YOU out... but this takes a long time.

That being said (and I've been doing this a while), I've managed to partner
with a few companies on my GS, including Yokohama, StopTech, Daizen,
H&R, MagnaFlow, and Boston Acoustics.
Notice I said "partner with," not "get sponsored by."

Last edited by SoCalSC4; 11-07-07 at 09:14 PM.
Old 11-07-07, 05:59 PM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Don't get me wrong I give credit to those that work hard for what they "built" but lets face it some people are given an "easier road" (sometimes much much easier than others). Hmmm....so I guess there aren't really too many CL members that are sponsored/partnered. In turn this also must mean that EVERYONE on these forums (that has a substantially modded GS) is "loaded" (it seems like 70% of people on here are in that category). Only because I can't see an average/comfortable person spending $20-$40K cash on hooking up a car...IMHO. I mean no disrespect by these remarks...it's just that apparently $100K/year and living in NY just can't cut hangin' with the big boys...I need a raise. lol
Old 11-07-07, 06:16 PM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

I apologize if the above statement came off wrong...I have nothing against anyone or anything having to do with the Club Lexus forums. I love this forum and feel that all members are helpful to each other in some shape, form or fashion. I was just venting on recent personal expenses and less $$$ to play with...my bad.
Old 11-07-07, 06:34 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

ah, bob put it very well, partnered. my cars have been partnered with several companies too, but just like bob, never sponsored by anyone. it's still very good relationship

it's all about finance and planning, rock. if you do it right, you can pull it off. keep in mind, A LOT OF highly modified cars they are all in CA, where living expense is very high just like ny
Old 11-07-07, 06:35 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,240 Likes on 1,359 Posts

I am sponsored by me. The only sticker I have on my car (that didn't come on a part I bought) is from the NC DMV.

I went through 'spurts' of heavy modification (and heavy spending) years since I bought my GS in 1999 and it's been through several transformations.

If you want to do it, you find a way. You can also get great deals on quality used stuff in our CL classified forums if you watch for them, bringing down your investment.
Old 11-07-07, 06:42 PM
pimplux808
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

*SELF SPONSORED*

its a sticker alot of cars run down here in hawaii.....

Old 11-07-07, 07:16 PM
carbongs
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

rominl and socal both said it very well. "partnered" is the way to say it. and most companies seek "marketing opportunities" not sponsorships.

I have a few sponsors. not all of them are full sponsorships. also you do have to do your part to uphold your end of the contract. yes, there are contracts.

it also helps if you compete nationally. elite for example shows at many shows like HIN, DUB, Funk Master Flex, and etc...

nothing is free. these companies want something for what they offer you. when applying for sponsorships you may get 1 yes out of 15 applications you send out and having a great proposal will help too!
Old 11-07-07, 07:20 PM
carbongs
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

also. I am 22 just out of college. I am by no means "loaded". budgeting and networking is how i've gotten to where I have. patience is key
Old 11-07-07, 08:14 PM
V8_Aristo
Bippu

Just like Bob (SoCalSC4), I'm at both end of the industry. Being an enthusiast and someone that works for a car related industry, I can say that getting a sponsorship is not free. Parts are only given to individuals that has either a photoshoot (that will be feature in a major publication) or a major event (like SEMA), and ofcourse both of those options take a lot of time, effort and money to begin with. Then after that, you are committed to those parts for a certain length of time.

I to am not a "baller", just someone that keeps his eyes and ears open to a good deal. I also work hard and bubget my money to achieve my goals.
Old 11-07-07, 09:52 PM
LEXUS_KID
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Everything here done by me and my pockets. So that would make me SELF~SPONSORED. I'm really not the one who like's to put stickers all over my car just to get a hook up. Now like the others have said it's nice to get a deal from here & there but we all know nothing is free. All it takes is time and in the end you will get what you want GOOD LUCK TO ALL
Old 11-07-07, 11:12 PM
Vertex GS3
Pole Position

i was sponsored by the following companies on my old car

NX
Meguiars
BFGoodrich
Rotora
Suspension Technique
Nology

trust me all those parts didn't make my life easy. The commitment I had to do and all the shows i had to go plus articles. it wasnt easy
Old 11-07-07, 11:27 PM
VipDout
19x11.5 -51

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have recent sponcers ... But got the car to a level it hasn't been ..Actually getting car painted right now ...

3800+ ;/

Plus lots of exposure ..at shows ect ...

j-stuff.jp ... Hosta car products Larger companies at cost .. , car supplies , air fashioners .... ect..

and

Jdm Theory ..To any meet they throw ... No cost ..

Basically if you want to have your car with huge names ... probably have to have it like Glens RMMGS4 that was in SEMA this year ... absolutely sickness but all that was done from him ...

Quick Reply: Just wondering...how many of the 2GS owners have sponsors?