GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

oh no!

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-02 | 05:07 PM
unique
Driver School Candidate

Default oh no!

http://www.caranddriver.com/xp/Caran...toyotaford.xml
Old 01-17-02 | 05:28 PM
CSHFLW
Lexus Test Driver

thats terrible....do they know about ford quality? Ford is a company that is built on terrible engineering...
Old 01-17-02 | 05:28 PM
sarkastro
Pole Position

please let there be no sister cars! I shudder at the thought of a Ford IScort.
Old 01-17-02 | 05:31 PM
CamRen
Lexus Champion

Next thing you know toyotas wont be lasting more then a 100,000 miles any more... or

toyota and ford match up... toyota engine and computer components... and fords hard body.....

good engine good solid body = good car

ryte now
japanesse lack the "solid strong and tough body"

americans lack "good strong engine" (that lasts)
Old 01-17-02 | 05:46 PM
anthracitetarga
Lexus Champion

FORD= Fixed or repaired daily (or in the Explorer's case: Flipped or rolled daily)

Toyota/Lexus= Incredible, awsome, flawless, etc., etc.

WHAT IS TOYOTA DOING??!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!:eek: :eek: :eek:
Old 01-17-02 | 06:14 PM
eppan
Pole Position

Nah...it looks to me more like Toyota is trying to sell some of their R&D. Considering they are developing new "hybrid powertrain system for Ford" to capitalize on what they been researching for years...and developing a production behicle from it, Prius. Even though they said "and other cooperative arrangements are planned" doesn't mean a whole lot. Seriously what can Ford do that Toyota can't do it better.

If Ford want to make better cars...get new suppliers and better QC in assembly.

This is the best part of the article "Toyota President Fujio Cho said, noting that taking stakes in each other's companies was not part of the equation. "
Old 01-17-02 | 06:31 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Don't forget Toyota's been in bed with GM for years... the Prism/Corolla plant... now the Pontiac Vibe and Toyota Matrix pair.
Old 01-17-02 | 08:21 PM
QBranchCars
Lead Lap

Originally posted by bitkahuna
Don't forget Toyota's been in bed with GM for years... the Prism/Corolla plant... now the Pontiac Vibe and Toyota Matrix pair.
I have to visit the NUMI plant one of these days. It's here in Fremont in the Bay Area.
Old 01-17-02 | 09:08 PM
Christobol
Advanced

This is scary. Look at Chrystler-Mercedes Benz. Mercedes quality has dropped over the past couple of years. I hope that Ford doesn't poisen Toyota. I think that if they start working together more and more, we are going to have make sure we only buy cars that are made 100% in Japan.
Old 01-18-02 | 04:59 AM
LexusRules
Lexus Champion

this is no good. i feeling sick. i cant take this. the reason i love japanese cars is because they aren't controlled by stupid american car companies.

i feel sick to my stomach. this cant happen. its not possible. is this a joke? is toyota stupid? its a win loose situation. ford gets the scoop on cheap yet good quality and takes it then makes new cars. Toyota gets left in the dark. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Soon we're gonna have frigging SVT Camrys

TOYOTA WHY ARENT YOU LISTENING??
Old 01-18-02 | 05:52 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by Christobol
This is scary. Look at Chrystler-Mercedes Benz. Mercedes quality has dropped over the past couple of years.
You've got that wrong. Mercedes quality was going down hill LONG before they bought Chrysler. It started when they went seriously into cost cutting mode. Hey, remember MBs are made in Alabama now too.
Old 01-18-02 | 05:56 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by LexusRules
this is no good. i feeling sick. i cant take this. the reason i love japanese cars is because they aren't controlled by stupid american car companies.

i feel sick to my stomach. this cant happen. its not possible. is this a joke? is toyota stupid? its a win loose situation. ford gets the scoop on cheap yet good quality and takes it then makes new cars. Toyota gets left in the dark. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Soon we're gonna have frigging SVT Camrys

TOYOTA WHY ARENT YOU LISTENING??
Sasha - take a few deep breaths and calm down. First off, now a 'Ford' (Bill Clay Ford) is now running the company again he may not want much dealings with Toyota. Second, the 'relationship' may not amount to much more than Toyota selling stuff to Ford, so that hardly weakens Toyota's products, it gives them MORE R&D money.

Toyota is a savvy company. They're not about to throw away their reputation, brand loyalty, and marketshare. Not to mention their GIGANTIC profits currently due to the Yen exchange rate.
Old 01-18-02 | 06:10 AM
Johnny Mo
GX and 2IS Moderator

Default Ford bashing

Hey guys,

now I'm not one to step in when people are making valid points, but how many of you have owned Fords to be able to discredit their quality. 'Cuz to be honest with you I have owned 2 great Ford products, and recently bought a 3rd. I had an 86 Mustang GT for 13 years almost 200,000 miles on it when I sold it (yes sold it not junked it) I had a 93 Explorer that I put over 130,000 miles on (sold for a good price) and recently bought 02 Expedition, which so far seems great.

Now these may be isolated cases according to some of your experiences, but IMHO the ONLY American cars I would buy are Ford, (or a Corvette). So while I can appreciate that you guys all love your Lexus and Japanese quality, it doesn't mean that another company isn't trying to make strides towards that same level of quality. As both a Toyota and Ford shareholder, I applaud their efforts, Toyota for allying themselves with IMHO the best of the American manufacturers, and Ford for allying themselves with the world quality leader...maybe together they can bring something new to the table for each other and strengthen both companies.

Coming from a company (GE) where 6 Sigma quality is part of your everyday job maybe makes it easier for me to look past the nay-sayers and see the vision. OK let the barrage of bashing continue.
Old 01-18-02 | 12:30 PM
CSHFLW
Lexus Test Driver

people always said ford suck and blah blah blah....

So I said I would give them a try....

Bought a 2000 mustang GT....5000 miles later tranny fell out....went through 3 recalls.....got 10mpg......and was the most poorly engineered car I had ever seen....plus you know what kind of people try to be your friends when you drive a mustang.....? yeaaa haaaa!
Old 01-18-02 | 01:41 PM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by sarkastro
please let there be no sister cars! I shudder at the thought of a Ford IScort.
LOL, that's a good one!!!!!!