GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

New special edition GS and more!

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-02, 04:30 AM
tinygs
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by 1SICKLEX
Maybe it is just me, but I am rather CONTENT with 300+ hp, 0-60 under 6 seconds, I can fit 4 comfortably, sound system is above par and I like it's looks. I got aftermarket support if I want 1000hp and I am rather happy.

You can HAVE your 400hp Jag.
You can HAVE your 500hp BMW
You DEFINITLEY can have ANY 295 Acura.
You can keep your 400hp E-class
and you can keep (well I like the Z).....

Hey, let's stop being some whining B!itches and be happy. I mean look at the leap between the 1st and 2nd gen GS. I am sure and CONFIDENT Lexus will have a true performance model in the future. Untill then, I am HAPPY!

HP wars are not my thing, you can have your 1 sport track star car, I'll keep my decathlaton car, okay......

BTW more power, more problems...........

If you currently want a 6 speed 500 hp sedan, Lexus is not the car for you.

If you want comfort and reliability with some sport, WELCOME!
[/QUOTE

Just for the record, I am VERY happy with my car..... It is head and shoulders above any car that I have owned previously.....I still get that "feeling" every time I get in and drive it.
For the first two years the GS400 existed, I had to plot/plan/work my *** off before eventually buying one...
1SickLex, you have expressed in the past that you are content with the GS in its current form, and I understand where you are coming from. I think you will agree you are a rare breed in not longing for a 400hp GS even if the body style/weight/mod'd handling capability, etc. were the same.....heehee
Please dont mistake my wanting to see the Lexus push the envelope with being un-happy with the current GS. It goes without saying that when Lexus launches a 400+ hp re-designed sedan, it will be far out of my financial ball park and I will have to watch the big kids play for at least a couple of years.....Tiny
Old 01-20-02, 05:11 AM
tinygs
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by bitkahuna
OK guys, I guess this all comes down to what you're willing to spend, and why you want to own a given car.

Many of you want a car that's tops in its class (power and speed being a big factor), perhaps to impress others (many of you bought the cars as babe magnets too, that's clear) and you're willing to pay almost anything to get it.

I didn't buy a GS because it was 'the fastest 4 door sedan' or anything like that, or to impress anyone else. I buy what fits my needs, wants and budget.

The M5 is a terrific car, but not for me. I'm not interested in a stick anymore for one, and the price is very high of course. Maybe Lexus will do something similar in time, but unlike BMW, a relatively small, privately held car company, Toyota can take its time to build Lexus and hasn't and doesn't necessarily need to go head to head with BMW to be highly successful. I'm SURE the next GS will be more powerful - maybe 340HP perhaps, but an M5 killer? I doubt it.

So those who feel Lexus is behind, you're likely to still be disappointed.
I think the MAIN reason I want to see LEXUS whip other companies(this means ttl package) is because I love the idea of a quiet, RELIABLE Japanese car w/Japanese styling that can perform. I looked at 540's and GS's for almost two years before purchasing and never really gave the BMW a chance because I was soooo hooked on Japanese characteristics. I didnt even drive the BMW...heehee
I agree about liking automatic more as I get alittle older,(especially in a sedan) and after seeing what types of autos are becoming available now.
My point is the MAIN thing I dont want sacrifice is reliability, thats why I want to see Lexus offer the higher level of overall performance going forward.....
Old 01-20-02, 08:24 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,371 Likes on 1,556 Posts

Originally posted by tinygs
My point is the MAIN thing I dont want sacrifice is reliability, thats why I want to see Lexus offer the higher level of overall performance going forward.....
But it's REALLY DIFFICULT to offer very high performance AND very high reliability. In fact, probably no one's ever done it. Maybe the Supra TT has been very reliable, I don't know. Problems abound though with M5's, AMG MBs, and anyone looked at the maintenance costs on cars like Ferraris? The Porshce 911 is a pretty reliable REALLY high performance car.

All those saying that loads CL members will go elsewhere if Lexus doesn't do a 'hot' GS are missing two minor points: 1) that's not true, and 2) even if they do, we're actually a TINY percentage of Lexus owners.
Old 01-20-02, 09:22 AM
Mr Johnson
Pole Position

Originally posted by bitkahuna

But it's REALLY DIFFICULT to offer very high performance AND very high reliability.

[snip]
And that is exactly the point! It's difficult and they should do it to show that they have the engineering expertise to make all their "lesser" products shine too. That's why they are in Formula 1 and that's why they have a commitment to TRD (IMO).

All those saying that loads CL members will go elsewhere if Lexus doesn't do a 'hot' GS are missing two minor points: 1) that's not true, and 2) even if they do, we're actually a TINY percentage of Lexus owners.
I totally agree with you. Lot's of the, already tiny percentage, of folks that claim they will buy one won't, for some reason or another, if it actually appears. But, that's OK, it's a halo car, will costs $$$, and not sell a bunch. I still wish they'd build it though as I believe in the "trickle down" effect.

Peter
Old 01-20-02, 09:35 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,371 Likes on 1,556 Posts

Originally posted by Mr Johnson
... But, that's OK, it's a halo car, will costs $$$, and not sell a bunch. I still wish they'd build it though as I believe in the "trickle down" effect.
Well Acura has the NSX, a terrific car, but it hasn't really done much for them. But sure I'm glad they made it!
Old 01-20-02, 01:08 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by davezaristo
Just received the inside lexus brochure with all the pics for the sportdesign thru the mail..dang those black wood and the brushed aluminum HVAC looks tight...I guess time for a groupbuy...anyone wants to ask Steve for the pricing?
Could you be KIND enough to please scan some of the pictures in that brochure?!?!? For some strange reason I haven't received the inside Lexus brochure yet (I've always been getting them). Please please please! Thanks!
Old 01-21-02, 05:51 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

any updates or pics?
Old 01-21-02, 07:04 PM
lex430
Lead Lap

sorry for the resolution
Attached Thumbnails New special edition GS and more!-p1.jpg  
Old 01-21-02, 07:07 PM
lex430
Lead Lap

next page
Attached Thumbnails New special edition GS and more!-p2.jpg  
Old 01-21-02, 07:27 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

thanks for the pics!

ok I see how it is:

98 and 99 GS300s have more horsepower than 2000.
2001 Gets E-Shift.
2002 has SportDesign.

Lexus really screwed the 2000 GS300 owners with the lest HP and Platinum Edition which I think doesn't compare to the SportDesign at all.
Old 01-21-02, 07:46 PM
Intellexual
Lead Lap

Wow!!! look at that shift ****!! It looks awesome. Notice how there is no visible evidence of the shaft beneath, making it look 10x better!!!

Not sure how easy those "brushed aluminum" pieces are going to be retrofit but they sure look good!
Old 01-21-02, 08:23 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by Intellexual
Wow!!! look at that shift ****!! It looks awesome. Notice how there is no visible evidence of the shaft beneath, making it look 10x better!!!

Not sure how easy those "brushed aluminum" pieces are going to be retrofit but they sure look good!
I don't think the brushed aluminum pieces can retrofit. The face of the audio and A/C components are somehow glued to the headunit itself. I tried to take it out but looks like I'll be pulling wires and breaking solders so forget it.
Old 01-21-02, 11:20 PM
davezaristo
Lead Lap

Sorry for not posting the pics soon enough..I guess someone has already done that..been too busy working lately and hasn't been on the forum..Well, I think at least the black wood and the shift **** can be retrofitted.
Old 01-22-02, 04:10 AM
ap0718
Lead Lap

I think the shiftknob looks nice as well. The interior is nice and I think that brush aluminum look goes real well with the black interior. Can't wait to see it in person.
Old 01-22-02, 08:20 AM
LexusPride
Lead Lap

...AND I think in the 2001 + the DSP button has been replaced by 3 smaller buttons (see stereo unit, lower right hand corner), which means the aluminum piece would have 3 small cutouts instead of one larger one. What I don't understand is why Lexus never bothered to use wood in the headunit area, but now feel that aluminum would look good there, not even as an option.

Quick Reply: New special edition GS and more!