GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

DIY wheel bearings

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-07, 01:57 AM
kit cat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default DIY wheel bearings

Has anyone changed a (front) wheel bearing by themselves?

I asked Lexus but they want some outrageous amount again. I thought I could get away by renting a press from Pepboys or Autozone but I guess I need a more powerful machine press from what I heard.

If anyone has changed the wheel bearings on a GS, please tell me if this is a DIY or not.
Old 11-13-07, 08:36 AM
Alexus_300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is no pressing needed to change the wheel bearings on the GS if I remembered correctly. All the bearings are already in a cartiged like with grease and you simply do a switch from the old to the new and that's all there is to it.
Old 11-13-07, 10:23 AM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Didn't think that the Lexus wheel bearings were really a maintenance item...

My MR2 has 193,000 miles and still has the OE wheel bearings.
They're pretty stout, but of course we have mild winters here in CA.

Never occurred to me to change them... no noise, no worries!
Old 11-13-07, 12:09 PM
kit cat

Originally Posted by Alexus_300
There is no pressing needed to change the wheel bearings on the GS if I remembered correctly. All the bearings are already in a cartiged like with grease and you simply do a switch from the old to the new and that's all there is to it.
So you're saying the entire wheel bearing is pre-assembled and I can just install that? I looked at that exploded diagram and there are part number for every little ring to it and I talked to a friend of mine that works at Lexus (he knows what he's talking about) and he was pretty sure that I need a press.

and yes, these wheel bearings do go bad. maybe b/c of the salt.
Old 11-13-07, 01:19 PM
Stage3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Coco-bun
Has anyone changed a (front) wheel bearing by themselves?

I asked Lexus but they want some outrageous amount again. I thought I could get away by renting a press from Pepboys or Autozone but I guess I need a more powerful machine press from what I heard.

If anyone has changed the wheel bearings on a GS, please tell me if this is a DIY or not.
Mine is starting to make some noise as well and I am interested in this DIY too. When I changed a bearing on a Jetta back in the day, we still had to press the bearing into the spindle. True, the bearing didn't need to be packed as it comes pre packed, but it still needs to be pressed into the spindle. That's where the press comes in. As to whether or not you can do a DIY for that, I'm not sure... I can only imagine that you can. It's just going to take a LOT of elbow grease...
Old 11-13-07, 01:22 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

It's DIY-able, but only if you have a press. I dont recommend a hammer at all . you'll need to carefully take your time to press in the hub bearings. The slightest offset will result in vibration and unstability. If you have a lot of time, it's not that bad. But you will cuss and yell because there will always be a part where you're stuck.
Old 11-13-07, 03:44 PM
kit cat

I've been searching and found this thread. So as GSteg said, it's DIY-able as long as you have a 12t hydralic press (which I wouldn't trust myself with).

I may just bite my tongue and take this one to the dealership if I can't find a friend with a shop that has a press like this.
Old 11-13-07, 04:56 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Using a hydraulic press is just like using a floor jack, except upside down. Just dont rush and make sure everything is aligned. But if you dont have a friend who has a press, just bring your knuckle and everything you need to a mechanic shop and they'll charge you a very small fee to press it in.
Old 11-13-07, 07:20 PM
Stage3
Lexus Fanatic

I found this thread on VWVortex...

I need to find where I can get a hold of that tool... It might be the solution to all our problems.
Old 11-13-07, 08:25 PM
Gears12
Driver

Originally Posted by GSteg
Using a hydraulic press is just like using a floor jack, except upside down. Just dont rush and make sure everything is aligned. But if you dont have a friend who has a press, just bring your knuckle and everything you need to a mechanic shop and they'll charge you a very small fee to press it in.
I would suggest the same and bring the part to someone. You can go to a machine shop also to have parts pressed in or out as well. The shop I bring parts to usually charges me $10 to press things out if they aren't too busy.

I hope this helps,
Gears