GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Help break upgrade.

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-02, 04:01 PM
LS4fun
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Manaray,

Do you mind telling me where you purchased that AP 6-brake upgrade? What an approximate price range? Do you have it on all four wheels or just front? Thanks for info.

Enginyr,

What the HECK are those? Those must provide some monster stopping power. Dual calipers....never saw that before. They must be worth a pretty penny.
Old 01-21-02, 05:07 PM
enginyr
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by GS4fun
Manaray,

Do you mind telling me where you purchased that AP 6-brake upgrade? What an approximate price range? Do you have it on all four wheels or just front? Thanks for info.

Enginyr,

What the HECK are those? Those must provide some monster stopping power. Dual calipers....never saw that before. They must be worth a pretty penny.
It was a thread posted a while back about ceramic calipers. Those calipers in the pic came off a moded bentley.
Old 01-21-02, 05:17 PM
LS4fun
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by enginyr

It was a thread posted a while back about ceramic calipers. Those calipers in the pic came off a moded bentley.
So basically with the price of those brakes, I could buy another Lexus
Old 01-21-02, 05:21 PM
BLiu
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by GS4fun
Manaray,

Enginyr,

Well, from the looks of the photo, it's a Stillen package probably for the Supra Turbo. Go to www.stillen.com...

Am I right Manaray? Do I get a cookie??

PS to answer the very first question, if your steering wheel is shimmying even without braking, then you have the possibility of a few problems...

1) Badly balanced tires
2) Alignment is bad
3) Damage to the suspension

My recommendation is to take the car into a tire shop and have the tires balanced first. Then, if the tire shop says the wear on your tire is real bad, get an alignment. Then, you have the option of either resurfacing the rotors and get new pads, upgrading the rotors and get new pads or go for the Supra TT upgrade IF you have 17" wheels and wheels spacers from H&R...

If you have had damage to the suspension, then that needs to be looked at first.

If you just go straight for the upgrade without checking your tire wear and balance and alignment then all your problems will not be solved. Because steering wheel shimmy WITHOUT braking is not a brake problem... Hope this helps.

For your cost needs and what you want, the best brake upgrade is to get your rotors resurfaced and put on some aftermarket pads that have better stopping power...Contrary to a lot of belief here, getting new rotors with cross-drilled holes does not really improve the braking performace THAT much. It's more aggressive-looking with the holes but the holes only serve to prevent the rotors from heating up too quickly. Seeing as how you are not looking at something too crazy, my guess is that you don't really brake crazily all the time(ie, autocrossing), so stock rotors should be fine. Just trying to save you some money...

Brent
Old 01-21-02, 11:44 PM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Bit - Your absolutely right. Actually, the fitment was custom. HRE called Stillen to get the specs for the AP Racing 6-Piston kit and then worked the wheel to not only clear the brakes, but to also get the wheels out the edge as far as possible w/o minimal rubbing running a 245 tire...

Brent gets a cookie (compliments of my local Lexus dealership )....the brakes are from Stillen (I can't disclose a price as they were a "special" deal...) but I think it's like $3200 List from Stillen. This kit is made for the GS. Dunno if the Supra kit is the same (it might be). The kit is only from the front....but I did the steel braided lines front and back along with Motul high temp brake fluid.
Old 01-22-02, 04:21 PM
LS4fun
Lexus Fanatic

$3200 for front only!

Ouch.....

It looks like those brakes wont be installed on my car soon!

You're a lucky guy Manaray...rolling on $5000+ 20's and $3000+ front brakes and $2000+ stiffening components.... (im sure there's more)

Can I get a seed from your money tree so that I can plant my own?

Last edited by LS4fun; 01-22-02 at 04:24 PM.
Old 01-22-02, 05:59 PM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Manuel - Yes, I am very lucky. Coming from a very, very poor background (we're talking poverty level here), I was lucky to make it as far as I have (plan on going further of course!)...this is also part of the reason why I have no respect for fakes/poseurs/etc...people bîtch and complain they don't have money to get something good for their car (wheels or otherwise) so instead, they go the ghetto route and buy some cheap-áss shiat trying to pass it off as some pimpin' gear...when I didn't have money, I just didn't buy it. When I couldn't afford to fix up my car right, I just didn't do it...this may help people understand where I'm coming from....
Old 01-22-02, 06:10 PM
Shinchan
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Help..

Can someone measure their clippers? SupraTT or AP Clipper? From the distance of the surface of the rotors to the outter part of the clippers? and the height distance of the inner clipper?

Thanks
Old 01-22-02, 06:18 PM
LS4fun
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by manaray
Manuel - Yes, I am very lucky. Coming from a very, very poor background (we're talking poverty level here), I was lucky to make it as far as I have (plan on going further of course!)...this is also part of the reason why I have no respect for fakes/poseurs/etc...people bîtch and complain they don't have money to get something good for their car (wheels or otherwise) so instead, they go the ghetto route and buy some cheap-áss shiat trying to pass it off as some pimpin' gear...when I didn't have money, I just didn't buy it. When I couldn't afford to fix up my car right, I just didn't do it...this may help people understand where I'm coming from....hehehe...I'm not snobby kid with rich parents...
I can appreciate and AGREE with you 100%.

I was the first and still only person in my family to go to college and now earn a decent living. It didn't happen overnight.....my dad made it very clear to me in my sophomore year of highschool. If I wanted to attend college, I would have to pay for it myself or find another way. I fixed this problem by graduating 2nd out of 522 kids in senior class. This got me several scholarships to take care of freshman year in engineering school. The competition in college became a little tougher but I managed a 3.9 GPA my freshman year which paid for the second year. This "trend" and free money was maintained until two years later when I was honored to graduate with a chemical engineering bachelor's degree and graduated summa *** laude. I then found a pretty good job as a kid with no experience with a starting salary of 48k within a major pharmaceutical company. Five years later (now), I still work there, and have almost doubled my salary not counting my bonus/stock options. Even though I make good money, I still have a lot of respect for $$$, and cannot envision spending 3000 for a brake upgrade. Manaray, I understand where you're coming from, as I still live in one of the worst cities in America and still remember WHERE I came from.

Manaray, it's a pleasure meeting someone like you which overcame a difficult past and is now enjoying fruits of labor, just as I did!
Old 01-22-02, 09:01 PM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Hey Manuel, it's great to hear someone else who made it w/o mommy and daddy sponsoring every step of their life! It's refreshing to meet people like you especially since, at least in my neck of the woods, there are lot of rich kids running around that have no respect for hard work and have no respect for money. For their sake, I hope they don't go poor...they won't know how to survive!

As for the brakes, as you know (but just to make it clear to others), my comment wasn't directed towards you. Even at this point in my life, where I can spend $50K on a car and then another $10-20K on upgrades, I still don't see the point of buying super expensive designer clothing. Sure, having a nice suit or two is fine, but I'm talking about people who just strict label wh0res. I've been wearing Dickies since I was a little kid and I like 'em. However, I now have like 30 pairs of them and I don't have to wear them down to point where it looks like I'm wearing a rag anymore...

So I can understand complete if a $3000 brake upgrade doesn't work for you even if you can afford it with ease.....
Old 01-22-02, 11:00 PM
CSHFLW
Lexus Test Driver

I just put on RMM SS brake lines, X drilled rotors, synthetic brake fluid and project Mu pads.....seems to of stoped the shaking and tightend up the pedal a bit....still need to get on it a bit....still nothing like the Brembo's I used to have on another car....
Old 01-23-02, 05:03 AM
Shinchan
Lead Lap

To me, brake is also an import part of the upgrade on the 50K car. Now you have your 300HP car, what does it take to stop the 3800lb car in short distance.. answer is brake upgrade.

three close call in 6 months has made me serious consider brake upgrade. All three time was on highway speed 80+ mhp, where I felt the car might not stop in time. (Welcome to Boston.. where people don't know how to drive)

So now, I am doing research on brakes...
Old 01-23-02, 07:02 AM
JacobT

Originally posted by Shinchan
Help..

Can someone measure their clippers? SupraTT or AP Clipper? From the distance of the surface of the rotors to the outter part of the clippers? and the height distance of the inner clipper?

Thanks
For SupraTT calipers, the distance from rotor surface to the edge of the caliper is 2 3/4". Your wheel spokes need to have bigger clearance to clear the calipers.
Old 01-23-02, 07:12 AM
Shinchan
Lead Lap

Does anyone know any 4 piston brake clipper kit that will clear about 2.5" from the surface of rotors to top of the clippers?
Old 01-23-02, 09:39 AM
v300
Lead Lap

Hahaha... surprised noboby mentioned the Brembo 14" system. Unfortunately you need at least 18" wheels (w/ adequate offset) to clear the calipers.

Quick Reply: Help break upgrade.