GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Side mirror blinkers for our GSs

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-07, 02:26 PM
olddog
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Side mirror blinkers for our GSs

Searching and searching the forums and internet has revealed no easy side mirror blinkers for our cars. items which are readily available for other cars like bmws and mercedes on ebay.
since i really like it, i decided to try out a couple of different metheods.
i got the "cap" ones which are for our right-hand comrades in japan from a fellow member and will see if molding it onto our mirrors can be done properly. this will be done by a bodyshop though.
But upon browsing ebay, i found these;

and would like to attempt retofitting them into our mirrors. this i can attempt myself.(cut a space and fit blinkers in). BTW, i am not being subjected to just the benz blinkers, i will try to find other car blinkers which might make it easier(maybe smaller or flatter).
Does anyone have a pic of what our mirrors look like on their inside. i.e. i want to see what kind of space is avaible in there and then maybe certain things can be moved,cut, adjusted or removed both on the blinkers and in our mirror shells to accomodate the blinkers. it might be a rough job but i will try it and see.
any other insight or opinion are welcomed.
asier.

olddog
Old 11-18-07, 02:31 PM
uplusd
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for pioneering this effort. I can't wait to see the results.
Old 11-18-07, 02:40 PM
olddog
Pole Position

Default hey

Originally Posted by mrurmil
Thanks for pioneering this effort. I can't wait to see the results.
no problem.my car is going in for a paint job in the winter, so am just using the opportunity to experiment on everything possible bodywise.
with some extensive search i found a copy of the shell on paper which i attached below but real life images would really help me alot.
thanks

olddog
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
replace%20mirror[1].pdf (33.2 KB, 209 views)

Last edited by olddog; 11-18-07 at 02:55 PM.
Old 11-18-07, 05:36 PM
LexFather

This guy WAY back in 2000 named Dino, an O.G actually did this. He bought the E-class blinker, and got it molded onto his GS. It stuck out a tad bit but was incredible, especially back in 2000!

Last edited by LexFather; 11-18-07 at 05:41 PM.
Old 11-18-07, 07:02 PM
LEXUS_KID
Lexus Champion

Very nice and clean I like it!!!!
Old 11-18-07, 07:25 PM
speedaddic
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm getting mine done this week at our shop. I'll post some pics of progress
Old 11-18-07, 07:43 PM
olddog
Pole Position

Default hey

Originally Posted by speedaddic
I'm getting mine done this week at our shop. I'll post some pics of progress
what method is being used?
just extracting the blinkers like above and retrofitting them in or actually entirely molding an aftermarket mirror which has the blinker already onto the stock mirror?
also, how much are they charging you?
methods? materila?

BTW 1sicklex, i think the one u posted above involved just cutting a space into the stock mirror cover and just placing/retrofitting/molding the lens in place.
definitely an option to think about.
damn, i wish i had an extra set of mirrors to mess with. this would move on so much faster.

olddog
Old 11-18-07, 07:44 PM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Those LED blinkers look almost like my authentic MB blinkers. How much do they run?

Btw...there isn't much room to cut and add the blinker unit into the existing mirror shell. You need to basically add fiberglass to the existing shell. Hopefull both sides will match up. There was another member here that did that....costed him roughly $1K for his body shop to do it...i think?

Good luck.

Oh yah...and here is mines.

Pete

Old 11-18-07, 07:48 PM
speedaddic
Lexus Champion

Old dog...I sign the paychecks so I'm not sure how much actual cost is going to be. You'll have to build up the back of your mirror because there isn't too much room. we usually use fiberglass or kittyhair.
Old 11-18-07, 08:10 PM
excluesive
Lexus Champion

Old dog...I sign the paychecks
: i guess that always works. but u should price it out so one can have an estimate of what actually goes in to it....
Old 11-18-07, 08:19 PM
olddog
Pole Position

Default hey

Old dog...I sign the paychecks so I'm not sure how much actual cost is going to be. You'll have to build up the back of your mirror because there isn't too much room. we usually use fiberglass or kittyhair.
good to know. thanks speedaddic.

PHML, those are actually mercedes blinkers like yours. they were pulled out of their shells/mirror housing and are going for about $46-$60 for a set of left and right.
So PHML, your mirror body was removed and extended (with fibreglass maybe?)to make room for the lens which was molded into it, right? i was thinking whether we can approach from the other angle.
While actually brainstorming the situation, i was thinking since the mirror cap ones meant for the our RHD counterparts work but don't completely fit our covers a 100%(they fit about 80-90%), maybe a bodyshop could just add some more "body" to the mirror cap ones to extend its perimeter to fully snap onto our mirrors.
here is a pic i borrowed from a fellow member of what the mirror cap ones look like and where their perimeter stops on our mirrors.
As you can see, they stop just a short distance from the actual perimeter of our mirrors which would have made them a 100% cover fit.
what material can be used to make the mirror cap extended?
i know fibreglass would do it but i have no experience with that. I was thinking if its "plastic/bondo related" maybe a certain kind of material can be cut and melted/ molded to join them together and then shaped to size.
what material/mixture do bodyshop people use in forming car body parts in shops?
Any bodyshop guys out here?
here are pics of the mirror caps on our mirror.

Lord help me. i should be writing my essay which is due in a day. CL and Lexus will get me in trouble
BTW, please note that i am experimenting with two processes. retrofitting the blinkers which i posted in the first thread into the stock mirrors OR this current thread idea which involves manipulated the mirror cap ones from our RHD counterparts to snap onto our mirror shell.

Last edited by olddog; 11-18-07 at 08:23 PM.
Old 11-18-07, 09:28 PM
VipDout
19x11.5 -51

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

wow they stick out alot ... Is that all the way in ?
Old 11-18-07, 09:33 PM
kit cat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

http://www.kazz-sports.co.jp/exchang...ex_aristo.html

they make'em.
http://www.kazz-sports.co.jp/exchang...e/MOV01168.MPG
http://www.kazz-sports.co.jp/exchang...e/MOV01168.MPG
http://www.kazz-sports.co.jp/exchang...e/MOV01177.MPG
http://www.kazz-sports.co.jp/exchang...e/MOV01166.MPG

retains every factory function (including heat and power folding) with blue tint mirror and courtesy light just like on the Zero Crowns. about 450/pair.
Old 11-18-07, 09:35 PM
speedaddic
Lexus Champion

gotta watch out for jdm mirrors coco-bun. They are angled for Rhd cars and are hard to see with our LHD cars.
Old 11-18-07, 09:38 PM
olddog
Pole Position

Default damn......very nice

Originally Posted by Coco-bun
450/pair is not bad at all.
make me happy and tell me they are a perfect fit for our cars (LHD). especially since the car on their website is a RHD. Cos from the forums, i have learned that the mirrors for our counterparts in Japan with RHDs are not a perfect fit.
tell me..... tell me......

Quick Reply: Side mirror blinkers for our GSs