GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Heeeeeeellllpppp!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ... Again!

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-07, 03:33 PM
kevbleek
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heeeeeeellllpppp!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ... Again!

so heres the breakdown... i get my 90k about two weeks ago, a week prior driving from va to nj, and the car breaks down in md!!! i called roadside assistance, n they tell me from the symptoms(all interior electronics work, ie double din hu, edfc), all come on but i turn the key and car will not start!!! no clicking, absolute silence. they tell me its about an hour n a half til tow truck with jump box arrives at my destination, so im like f!@# that, so i ask a good somaritan for some help. as soon as he hooks up the cables, he tells me to start it up, n bam. ITS ALIVE!!! so i get to jersey, n i go straight to the auto parts store, n they test my battery, and tell me its good, but the alternator is bad, n try to quoteme some ridiculous price to replace, so im like, ill be okay til va. i go to advance as soon as i get back in va, n they retest battery n alternator, and theyre both good. so either way i dont wanna risk it so i get an optima red top. cars running like a champ. a week passes n i get my 90k. car keeps going strong. this last friday night i go out at like 12am to grab a cd b4 we roll out for the night in my boys car. so i turn it on, no problem, grab my cd, and i keep it moving. now, sat morning, i go to warm her up b4 heading to the gym, n nothing!!! same as md. all interior electronic equipment comes on, but no clicking, its not turning over. headlights arent working though. drl's, tails, brake lights, turns, all work though. so i go to work, and share my dilemma with my coworkers, n one suggests i check my fuses. get home today check my fuses n found one on the passenger side box, a 40amp, 32v that was pretty corroded. replace it, to no avail, but now headlights work, so i try the driver side fuse box, fuse #17, 5amps, n still nothing!!! i called lexus dealership for a quote for a starter w/ labor, quoted at $1100!!! alternator w/ labor at about 545... i hope its not. warranty just expired in oct, so ill be sol if it is either or, n have to come out of pocket, or look for another shop. i was also told to check my battery just in case, but i forgot the voltmeter at work so itll have to wait til tomorrow. but i was told if the battery puts out under 12 volts its a bad cell. IF ANYONE HAS ANY SUGGESTIONS AS TO SOMETHING ELSE I CAN CHECK, ON MY OWN, ILL GIVE IT A SHOT B4 I FORK OVER ANOTHER 1000 BUCKS!!! PLEASE KEEP IN MIND I HAVE THE CAR IN MY PARKING LOT N DO NOT WANNA CALL AAA FOR A TOW TO THE HOBBY SHOP IF AVOIDABLE. I KNOW U GUYS WONT LET ME DOWN. Thanks in advance to any contributions or suggestions to my problem!!!!

Last edited by kevbleek; 11-19-07 at 03:39 PM.
Old 11-19-07, 03:47 PM
kevbleek
Driver School Candidate

Just Some Random Piks Too, Been B!@##$$%^&** Bout Puttin The Piks Up!!!
Attached Thumbnails Heeeeeeellllpppp!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ... Again!-dsc00909-part-2.jpg  
Old 11-19-07, 03:50 PM
kevbleek
Driver School Candidate

Piks Continued...
Attached Thumbnails Heeeeeeellllpppp!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ... Again!-dsc00917-part-2.jpg  
Old 11-19-07, 03:55 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

The imfamous starter case.

My best advice to you is to buy a new OEM starter (it's about $230+shipping) and have another shop replace it for you. A regular mechanic shop will probably do it for $250-300 labor while an independent Lexus shop will charge about $500 for labor.

The OEM starter is only good for about 100k miles.

http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...01&catalogid=1
Old 11-19-07, 04:02 PM
R.U. IN AW?
Lexus Test Driver

Post Hey Do you Have.....

Kev,

Real quick do you have remote start or not? Or when you start it, do you start it with a key? The reason I ask is because I have a remote start and had the same problems. I found out after replacing the battery that if you just remote start your vehicle without turning the key and stepping on the brakes that there is a relay that stays energized until the key is inserted and the brakes are pressed. Just a thought..... let me know how it turns out, by the way NICE whip. Also welcome to CL.

-Joe
Old 11-19-07, 04:10 PM
DJ TANTRA
Lexus Test Driver

Hmm, Not sure what it is to be honest..But im leaning towards teh starter as welll since your interior lights come on..the more i think the more i say starter...

you can check your alternator by starting your car and d/c the battery..if it stays running ur alternator is fine...

Also, if you want a dealer job on the starter without the dealer price..I can talk to the guy I know who works for lexus and he can quote you...keep up us updated and goodluck!!!
Old 11-19-07, 04:22 PM
phillygs3

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i had this problem with my honda i think it was the master relay it would only happen once in a while. do 2nd gen lexus have master relays? i think i seen a thread on this before
Old 11-19-07, 09:03 PM
Sceptre
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

I had something similar happen on my friend's Corolla. Turns out there was an aftermarket alarm with starter kill that was installed in the car. He took it to get the car cleaned and they bumped the kill switch and turned it on. Previous owner lost the remote and did not disconnect the alarm, they just cut the wire to the siren. Took us about 1 hour to figure out the problem and we just removed the alarm. Works like a charm now.
Old 11-19-07, 11:47 PM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Check the altenator again....sounds like it drained the Optima Red battery pretty fast.
Old 11-20-07, 12:22 AM
HKS GS300
Driver School Candidate

i would check your charge back wire from the alternator to the battery, if that wire goes bad you have problems like that. Also check the continuity from the power wire to the starter, that wire goes bad you also have problems with starting. Alot of shops and dealerships tend to forget about those things. On top of that you should check if you have excessive resistance in those connections because that would mean you have a bad connection, bad ground, or bad wire. These are some of the basic stuff that most electrical shops do and charge like $100 per hour. Just my 2 cents.
Old 11-20-07, 10:19 AM
kevbleek
Driver School Candidate

i appreciate all the feedback fellas!!! i just finished taking the battery to advance to check it, came back low voltage, so i know the battery is pretty drained. next i got a loaner battery to see if it would start up, and still no luck. same as b4, interior came on, no turnover. now im really confused because i thought it was my starter, but why would my battery be drained if its the starter. i thought a bad alt was the reason a battery would drain? man!!! im tellin u, i love the car when shes up but i hate her more when she goes down. i shoulda got a daewoo!!! replace the engine parts with lawnmower parts!!! lmao. j/p lexus all day, ay day!!!! any more suggestions appreciated. i think im gonna take her to a shop n just fork over the money for the tow. free diagnostic!!! was trying to avoid the tow fees if possible, but i gotta get my daily back up! thanx again CL!

oh no remote start. just alarm.

and i appreciate the comment R.U.!
Old 11-20-07, 02:11 PM
hurricane
Lead Lap

i had same problem .. replaced starter .. was good for 3 weeks happened again,,, was told the motor ecu was fried .. got that fixed... running good so far .. we stall see ..could be alot of thingsss
Old 11-21-07, 06:05 PM
kevbleek
Driver School Candidate

GAT DAYUM STARTERS!!!! yeah got it checked by a shop. starter. just wanted a liver n first born. lmao. nah they looked out good. hopefully everything goes good. get it back fri. ill keep ya posted!!!
Old 11-21-07, 06:26 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Usually when all lights are on inside the car, and you turn the key with either a click or no click at all, it comes down to the starter. It's a problem in the GS4 so it's safe to say if you ever run into that problem, you can bet it's the starter
Old 11-22-07, 01:01 AM
BigManne
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

alarm triggered and kicked in starter kill switch?