GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Power/Snow button light

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-07, 09:59 AM
stom
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power/Snow button light

Can anyone tell me if the Power/Snow button on the console lights up or not? My ECU button does but this button doesn't.
Old 11-20-07, 10:02 AM
THE_CEO
Pole Position

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts

it should show up.

CEO
Old 11-20-07, 10:40 AM
TruPlaya26
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yea it should light up. The regular ECT POWER wil light up green, and the ECT SNOW should light up orange ... Never have to use that here in Miami though
Old 11-20-07, 11:03 AM
kit cat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TruPlaya26
Never have to use that here in Miami though
oh hush. probably the light bulb. I took the assembly apart but it's some bulb I've never seen before...
Old 11-20-07, 11:27 AM
TruPlaya26
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The reason I know it lights up orange is not cuz I've ever had to use it, but because my g/f dog (yorkie) loves to jump around and has turned on the heated seats and pressed the ect button a couple times without me noticing lol ... but after my a$$ started burning on top of the already 90+ degree weather i saw the lights from the button on, then I noticed that under my gauge cluster the word SNOW was lit up in orange ...
Old 11-20-07, 11:37 AM
stom
Rookie

Originally Posted by Coco-bun
oh hush. probably the light bulb. I took the assembly apart but it's some bulb I've never seen before...
I assume the bulb is somewhere in the module unit but where? I remember taking a look at it when I had the console apart and I couldn't find a bulb.
Old 11-20-07, 11:45 AM
kit cat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by stom
I assume the bulb is somewhere in the module unit but where? I remember taking a look at it when I had the console apart and I couldn't find a bulb.
the bulb the seat heater is inside the switching unit thing. You have take it apart but be careful not to break it since its encased in a thin piece of plastic. And when you do take it apart, make sure you dont lose the actual metal switch since it just sits there (i almost lost mine when i first opened it up).

as far as the PWR/SNOW button, I didnt even try. The seat heater switch was a PITA enough for me. I'll take it apart once I find out what size bulb I need.
Old 11-20-07, 12:04 PM
stom
Rookie

Originally Posted by Coco-bun
the bulb the seat heater is inside the switching unit thing. You have take it apart but be careful not to break it since its encased in a thin piece of plastic. And when you do take it apart, make sure you dont lose the actual metal switch since it just sits there (i almost lost mine when i first opened it up).

as far as the PWR/SNOW button, I didnt even try. The seat heater switch was a PITA enough for me. I'll take it apart once I find out what size bulb I need.
Thanks for the info. It's the PWR/SNOW bulb that I need changed. I guess I'll try over the Thanksgiving break and see. As I recall, the unit looked pretty locked up. It's weird that the bulb went out. Usually, these things tend to last forever. I also noticed that my glovebox light doesn't work. Bulb seems fine. They don't share a common fuse, do they?
Old 11-24-07, 05:35 PM
99Aristo
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ah yes.....not much snow her ein the Phoenix area but it is orange
Old 12-01-07, 06:00 AM
LockLex
Driver School Candidate

My power/snow switch doesn't lite up anymore but it does show up on the dash when it is on.
Old 12-01-07, 07:12 AM
stom
Rookie

Originally Posted by LockLex
My power/snow switch doesn't lite up anymore but it does show up on the dash when it is on.
Same as mine. I'm going to see if I can take the unit apart to see what kind of bulb it needs. I checked on a new switch replacement from Lexus and it's $87. OUCH!!
Old 12-01-07, 10:50 AM
phillygs3

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

mines is out too so is my buddies. doesnt bother me enough to go messing around and breaking something in there. besides i'll wait till another goes out then i will fix.
Old 12-01-07, 12:00 PM
stom
Rookie

Originally Posted by phillygs3
mines is out too so is my buddies. doesnt bother me enough to go messing around and breaking something in there. besides i'll wait till another goes out then i will fix.
Well I just took out the power/snow button to check out what's up with the bulb. It just so happens that the actual bulb is on the side of the button casing. You'll see a round green plastic screw top. Just turn that counter clockwise and the bulb comes right out. Real simple. Same for the VSC button as well. It looks like the guy before me spilled coffee or something over that area and shorted out the bulb. One reason why all food/drink is banned in my ride. Here's the bad news. It looks like it was made specifically for Lexus to work with the casing. I highly doubt you'll find this at your local AutoZone. I checked out the part and it's $57. That's a lot just to have a bulb light up. I'll just wait until my next service and see if my dealer has any lying around or something. My hope is that this bulb/housing is used among other Toyota models so they're easily replaced. I doubt it tho because even the VSC bulb was sightly different than the one that blew.
Old 12-02-07, 11:08 AM
krburell
Rookie

I replaced the bulb on my ECT/POWER/SNOW rocker switch. The bulb part number is 84999-10710 and should be about $8 or less from your Lexus dealer. You also have to swap a little green cap that goes over the bulb from the old bulb to the new bulb so the light will have a green tint to it.
Old 12-02-07, 03:31 PM
stom
Rookie

Originally Posted by krburell
I replaced the bulb on my ECT/POWER/SNOW rocker switch. The bulb part number is 84999-10710 and should be about $8 or less from your Lexus dealer. You also have to swap a little green cap that goes over the bulb from the old bulb to the new bulb so the light will have a green tint to it.
Thanks krburell.

Quick Reply: Power/Snow button light