GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Power Steering Problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-07, 12:52 PM
daintyboy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power Steering Problem

Hi all, I have a 98 GS400 with 77,000 miles that i bought a couple of weeks back. I was just able to get it on the road and immediately noticed a problem with the power steering. First the steering wheel is very stiff and whenever i make a turn and release the steering wheel it does not come back as it is supposed to. I have to manually bring it back around. I have checked the power steering fluid and its full so that is not the problem. The steering is real stiff, is this how its supposed to be? Can someone, anyone please help as i dont know what the issue is and how much it would cost to get this fixed. I am scared to death and dread going to the dealer. Thanks in Advance.
Old 11-20-07, 01:07 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by daintyboy
Hi all, I have a 98 GS400 with 77,000 miles that i bought a couple of weeks back. I was just able to get it on the road and immediately noticed a problem with the power steering. First the steering wheel is very stiff and whenever i make a turn and release the steering wheel it does not come back as it is supposed to. I have to manually bring it back around. I have checked the power steering fluid and its full so that is not the problem. The steering is real stiff, is this how its supposed to be? Can someone, anyone please help as i dont know what the issue is and how much it would cost to get this fixed. I am scared to death and dread going to the dealer. Thanks in Advance.
Could be the wrong fluid in the pwr steering system (requires dexron/mercon tranny fluid).. What color is the fluid in your pwr steering reservoir?
Old 11-20-07, 01:30 PM
daintyboy
Driver School Candidate

Its a dark color, looks like its black. Would changing it solve the problem?
Old 11-20-07, 01:42 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Its a dark color, looks like its black. Would changing it solve the problem?
It should be bright red in color not black. Sounds like you need to have the system flushed. Give it a try and let us know. Do you have a place in mind to get that service done or do you need a recommendation?
Old 11-20-07, 03:44 PM
daintyboy
Driver School Candidate

No i acutually dont have a place, I would need a recommendation, greatly appreciated.

P.S someone on another site told me that they had the same problem at about the same mileage and its my steering rack that needs to be changed. Do you know anything about that?

Can you tell me how much it will cost to replace this? Where can i find it to purchase besides the dealer and what could have possibly caused it to go bad i n the first place?
Old 11-20-07, 04:18 PM
NBart
Pole Position

Start by going to the local service station and see if they are a full service station. If not, go to a repair shop that is capible of fluching your system. It is not a good thing that you pwr steering fluid is black. Someone did not check and maintain the system. You may have to do more repairs as a result of this oversight. For that, I suggest you contact the nearest Lexus or Toyota dealership and have it looked at. They don't charge for that and they can give you an estimate for repair that you can either accept or shop with other local repair facilities. Good Luck.
Old 11-20-07, 07:04 PM
daintyboy
Driver School Candidate

Ill try the flush first and see how that goes. Quick question though as im not mechanically inclined but why the dexron transmission fluid for the power steering wheel. Shouldnt it be a dexron power steering fluid for the power steering and transmission fluid for the transmission or is it the same fluid for both the transmission and power steering.
Old 11-21-07, 01:17 AM
movinquick
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by NBart
For that, I suggest you contact the nearest Lexus or Toyota dealership and have it looked at. They don't charge for that and they can give you an estimate for repair that you can either accept or shop with other local repair facilities. Good Luck.
i've been to toyota and lexus dealerships in ny. they always tell me there's a diagnosis charge just for the mechanic to look at the car. the diagnosis charge can be applied to the repair but i've never followed thru with any work. so you guys get estimates and all that for free?
Old 11-21-07, 05:36 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Ill try the flush first and see how that goes. Quick question though as im not mechanically inclined but why the dexron transmission fluid for the power steering wheel. Shouldnt it be a dexron power steering fluid for the power steering and transmission fluid for the transmission or is it the same fluid for both the transmission and power steering.
Pm sent daintyboy..
Old 11-21-07, 01:43 PM
NBart
Pole Position

Originally Posted by movinquick
i've been to toyota and lexus dealerships in ny. they always tell me there's a diagnosis charge just for the mechanic to look at the car. the diagnosis charge can be applied to the repair but i've never followed thru with any work. so you guys get estimates and all that for free?
I have never seen a Lexus dealership charge for a diagnosis before. I am sorry because that really sucks that they would do that to you.