GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

check engine light "Help me, Help Me Please"

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-07, 03:23 PM
nar8ta
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default check engine light "Help me, Help Me Please"

Whats good all, I'm having some trouble. My check engine light came home driving back home into NYC. I experience the same trouble other have said the car going into Limp mode. I had to hammer the gas in order to get the car to move. I in turn thought it was TPS like everyone else stated so I took it to autozone for a scanning.

They came up with a strange code called P0753 Shift solenoid A electrical malfunction- SSV SL1. Anyone with the manual know about this. Anyone else got this code before. I am praying it is not the Tranny. If so this car will have to go. I just want to get yall view before i take it to the dealer and they grease me up and do my wallet dirty. Man I thought it was the TPS. I am in the process of pulling negative on the battery to clear the code and reset the ECU. By the way the car is a 99 GS400. Thank you so much for your help.

o i forgot anyone know a ballpark cost to expect. i don't want to get raped to bad by the dealer.

Last edited by nar8ta; 11-26-07 at 04:00 PM.
Old 11-26-07, 04:46 PM
Debonair
iModerate

Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts

P0753 - Shift Solenoid Valve No.1

P07##'s are always transmissions codes.
Old 11-26-07, 06:46 PM
nar8ta
Instructor

Default re

Thanks for responding bro. Need more info what is the damage looking like, is it the tranny or is it a sensor, it is not slipping put in limp mode, Man this sounds expensive. Please keep the info coming.
Old 11-26-07, 09:57 PM
toy4life86
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i just got mine done on my 98 its the shift solenoid and it needs to be replaced
by any chane were you in M mode at the time it happend?
I think thats how mine orignally went bad
I tried everything to clear it but
only changing it fixed it
Old 11-28-07, 12:21 AM
nar8ta
Instructor

Default re

Na I was driving in D.

By the way how much was it to change that solenoid? Did you go to the dealer. I am bringing it to the dealer on thursday. Pray they don't do me to bad.
Old 11-28-07, 01:08 AM
djspawn00
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

uh... the dealer is gonna do you with no vaseline... you'd probably save a bunch of money going to a decent tranny shop... they're tons in NYC you shouldn't have much trouble finding one. Call your lexus dealership and ask them how much... they should be able to give you a general idea since you already have the DTC code.
Old 12-01-07, 08:52 AM
nar8ta
Instructor

Default re

You guys should take up a job in fortune telling. Just like yall said the dealer immediatly said it needs a need tranny. I gave them the code (shift A solenoid) for them to double check, they changed that and the check engine light came back on. i told them there is no way I'm paying $4000 (including labor)for a new transmission. So it looks like I'm stuck. The tranny hasn't slipped once and it seems like I'm being got.........now that sucks! The car is still in limp mode and I am going to pick it up from the dealer today. O and the the good news.... I have to pay for the dealer installing the shift solenoid, some other sensor, and refilling the tranny................$770. I told them since the car was not repair to cut some of the labor off because the labor was most of the money.... they say o.k........ $640. Thanks Lexus you sure know how to make a brother feel better!

Anyone know a really good tranny shop in NYC who does good work for a reasonable price. No toe needed the car is drive able. Any info given will be really appreciated. After this car is fixed I'm saying by by to this car. I bought it with 53,000K four years ago it now has 79,000K I don't even drive it much, only on weekends.
Old 12-02-07, 08:35 PM
nar8ta
Instructor

Default re

anyone??? Tranny shop in NYC! (who are experience with the GS 400 Tranny)

Last edited by nar8ta; 12-02-07 at 08:41 PM.
Old 12-03-07, 06:32 PM
gserep1
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I feel your pain. Unfortunately I am on the "LEFT COAST" here in California.

I am really surprised that your car had this kind of problem so soon. I may be jinxing myself, but I hope not. I have 163,000 miles on my 1999 GS400 with absolutely NO problems with the transmission.

I have a HAYDEN transmission cooler, and I have been using AMSOIL UNIVERSAL TRANSMISSION FLUID since 60,000 miles. I bought it at 59,000 and have changed the stock stuff out almost as soon as I brought the car home.

Did your car still have the stock Toyota fluid in it? What did it look like when you had the problem? That fluid should be changed every 30,000 miles without fail. If it gets black and nasty really fast after a change, it means that it was driven longer than 30,00 miles before it was changed.

I have a brother in law with a 1999 LS400 with 200,000 miles and he never changes his fluid. The stuff is NASTY, so he is living on borrowed time. It won't be long for that car. I don't know WHY that car still runs.

You said that your car sits a lot. That should not make the transmission do what it did. Did the car ever run hot, or did the transmission run out of fluid at any time? How about being overfilled? SOMETHING is really wrong in your case.

Your Lexus dealership could be setting you up to have it brought back to them for a new transmission. Others have changed this solenoid with positive results.

The AISIN transmission is usually bulletproof even with abuse, so your situation is rare indeed. The fluid tells the story, so if you have had the solenoid changed already, look atthe condition of the fluid again and try flushing it again. I am at a loss after that.

I wish you good luck my friend!
Old 12-06-07, 08:03 AM
nar8ta
Instructor

Default re

Originally Posted by gserep1
I feel your pain. Unfortunately I am on the "LEFT COAST" here in California.

I am really surprised that your car had this kind of problem so soon. I may be jinxing myself, but I hope not. I have 163,000 miles on my 1999 GS400 with absolutely NO problems with the transmission.

I have a HAYDEN transmission cooler, and I have been using AMSOIL UNIVERSAL TRANSMISSION FLUID since 60,000 miles. I bought it at 59,000 and have changed the stock stuff out almost as soon as I brought the car home.

Did your car still have the stock Toyota fluid in it? What did it look like when you had the problem? That fluid should be changed every 30,000 miles without fail. If it gets black and nasty really fast after a change, it means that it was driven longer than 30,00 miles before it was changed.

I have a brother in law with a 1999 LS400 with 200,000 miles and he never changes his fluid. The stuff is NASTY, so he is living on borrowed time. It won't be long for that car. I don't know WHY that car still runs.

You said that your car sits a lot. That should not make the transmission do what it did. Did the car ever run hot, or did the transmission run out of fluid at any time? How about being overfilled? SOMETHING is really wrong in your case.

Your Lexus dealership could be setting you up to have it brought back to them for a new transmission. Others have changed this solenoid with positive results.

The AISIN transmission is usually bulletproof even with abuse, so your situation is rare indeed. The fluid tells the story, so if you have had the solenoid changed already, look atthe condition of the fluid again and try flushing it again. I am at a loss after that.

I wish you good luck my friend!
Thanks for your responce bro. Na I bought the car 4 years ago with 53K it now has 78k. The fluid was dead clean when I checked. The car never ran hot. No metal was found at all in the pan.The dealer "said" they changed the shift solenoid cleared the code and drove fine then the check engine light came back on. I go home clear the code (taking of the negative and hold the brake trick) and the car shift fine. After about 10 minutes the light comes back on and were back in limp mode. The car shifts fine when not in limp mode. Its just bugged out. In Limp mode you have to press down hard to get it to move and you get that bump into
1st gear. This is very weird. I don't want to rebuilt this tranny because when I clear the code it feels fine. A tranny shop is going to fell it in limp mode and say the tranny is not shifting right not knowing its in limp mode. I haven't drove it since.

I just got off the phone with a Lexus master tec that has his own business (one of the sales reps hook me up), he said GS, LS, and RX trannies are known to go (maybe he is saying that to get the business). He says he doesn't want to rebuild because of the world of problem he has seen when they come back, meaning they never run right. This is really strange. But one thing is curtain I am not putting $4000 into a 99. That is not going to happen.

I'm still looking for a reliable tranny shop in NYC.

Thanks everyone for all of your help.
Old 12-06-07, 10:27 AM
gserep1
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You shouldn't have to. There are good used AISIN transmission for our cars out there. They should not cost you that much. I guess that anything can happen to a transmission, but your situation is really unique.

I'd say to find another GS400 transmission and put it in. Like you, I wouldn't spend $4000 on my 99 GS either.
Old 12-06-07, 10:45 AM
DJ TANTRA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Two things,

You can ask Aliga if he has a used GS tranny..since he gets a lot of Lexus parts and is in NYC.

In addition to that, I can refer you to the guy who installed my tranny...to do the labor...

I think that would total your cost well under 2k.

PM Aliga about the tranny first...
Old 12-06-07, 12:26 PM
imjohnphan
Lead Lap

Received 118 Likes on 93 Posts

I posted about a similar problem or this exact problem as well. The code was for a shift solenoid as well. It happened to me a long time ago and I have been driving with it ever since. The car shifts pretty roughly from 1-2 or 2-3. Can't really remember. But when I am at a stop and then go when the gear shifts to the next one is when my car jerks. How much was the cost of replacing that shift solenoid?
Old 12-06-07, 02:02 PM
nar8ta
Instructor

Default re

Thanks everyone for your help, I owe like $3000 on the car and went out car shopping last saturday. I saw a 05 audi A8L which was mean. Did some research and found out all the audi complaints about this car (For a semi new car this is crazy). All so the value on this car drops rapidly. I could have drove away with it for $32,000 which is insanely low, but I don't need head aches like this later. All parts go but come on LOL.

I also was looking at a grey 2006 M45 sport. I was really feed up with the GS and was about to do a trade-in until I was told how much they would give me for it....($8000 in this condition) forget that! If I'm gonna get rid of this car I'm gonna have to fix it or take a major hit.

I'm gonna take yall advice and look for a used one. Do you guys have any links for used Lexus parts (tranny). I'm gonna also hit up this dude on the p.m.

Again I can not say enough, Thank you everyone for your help in a bad time.

Last edited by nar8ta; 12-06-07 at 02:07 PM.
Old 12-06-07, 02:05 PM
nar8ta
Instructor

Default re

Originally Posted by imjohnphan
I posted about a similar problem or this exact problem as well. The code was for a shift solenoid as well. It happened to me a long time ago and I have been driving with it ever since. The car shifts pretty roughly from 1-2 or 2-3. Can't really remember. But when I am at a stop and then go when the gear shifts to the next one is when my car jerks. How much was the cost of replacing that shift solenoid?
The stealer hit me for changing the shift solenoid A and some other sensor for lik $760, and still had the problem. After arguing with them they cut it down to like $640..... and I still have the problem..........MESS!!!! LOL

Quick Reply: check engine light "Help me, Help Me Please"