GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

I wonder how many of us had to pay for this one?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-07, 08:51 PM
G4inRich
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I wonder how many of us had to pay for this one?

1998 LEXUS GS400 SUSPENSION:AUTOMATIC STABILITY CONTROL (ASC)
Recall Date: 04/17/1998

Summary:
VEHICLE DESCRIPTION: PASSENGER VEHICLES. DUE TO A MANUFACTURING DEFECT OF THE YAW RATE SENSOR FOR THE VEHICLE STABILITY CONTROL (VSC), THE VSC CAN OPERATE IMPROPERLY IF THE SENSOR IS AFFECTED BY CERTAIN ELECTROMAGNETIC WAVES, SUCH AS FROM A CELLULAR PHONE.

Consequence:
SHOULD THIS OCCUR, THE BRAKE MAY OPERATE UNEXPECTEDLY, AFFECTING STEERING AND SPEED CONTROL, INCREASING THE RISK OF A VEHICLE CRASH.

Remedy:
DEALERS WILL REPLACE THE YAW RATE SENSOR.

Potential Units Affected: 14855

Notes: LEXUS GS400
(I just had this problem but to most of us its known as VSC...crazy right..)
Old 11-28-07, 09:12 PM
kit cat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

hmmm....I doubt I have this, but I'm calling my dealer this week for this.
Old 11-29-07, 01:07 AM
Caoboy
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is this ONLY for the GS400? Was there a different YAW sensor in the GS300's?
Old 11-29-07, 03:47 AM
G4inRich
Rookie

Nope!Motortrend.com posted this recall on their site for the 98 GS 400 and the 98' GS 300 also. Im thinkin about gettin mines looked at but I just got two of my VSC sensors replaced at Toyota this past summer...They say it was just for those two particular models but I have had my VSC light come on while tryin to cross and intersection. Pressing the gas wont do anything at first but will kick in at the last minute an scare the ****** outta you, especially if a semi is coming at ya...Even tho the recall was for the 98's, I kno Im not the only one on here who had the same problem with his or her GS400..Just a heads up for my fellow GS' owners...

"Yeah, Thats how she sleeps. . ."

Last edited by G4inRich; 11-29-07 at 03:52 AM. Reason: none
Old 11-29-07, 05:52 AM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

so a cell phone can active the vsc????
Old 11-29-07, 12:02 PM
GSquicksilver
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

just call the dealership and give them your vin number and they can check if it was fixed in your car.
Old 11-29-07, 02:07 PM
jfive
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by G4inRich
1998 LEXUS GS400 SUSPENSION:AUTOMATIC STABILITY CONTROL (ASC)
Recall Date: 04/17/1998

Summary:
VEHICLE DESCRIPTION: PASSENGER VEHICLES. DUE TO A MANUFACTURING DEFECT OF THE YAW RATE SENSOR FOR THE VEHICLE STABILITY CONTROL (VSC), THE VSC CAN OPERATE IMPROPERLY IF THE SENSOR IS AFFECTED BY CERTAIN ELECTROMAGNETIC WAVES, SUCH AS FROM A CELLULAR PHONE.

Consequence:
SHOULD THIS OCCUR, THE BRAKE MAY OPERATE UNEXPECTEDLY, AFFECTING STEERING AND SPEED CONTROL, INCREASING THE RISK OF A VEHICLE CRASH.

Remedy:
DEALERS WILL REPLACE THE YAW RATE SENSOR.

Potential Units Affected: 14855

Notes: LEXUS GS400
(I just had this problem but to most of us its known as VSC...crazy right..)
2 Questions

1. Can we get this repaired at no cost from a dealer even if our 98 GS's are out of warrenty?

2. Is that why I can hear loud static noises when my cell phone is about to ring?
Old 11-29-07, 02:52 PM
IAGS400
Pole Position

I believe Motor Week found this problem at the track with 2-way radios and reported it to Lexus and they promptly recalled all 1998's. They didn't even tell my dad. They just told him they needed the car. He lived 120 miles from the dealership. A couple of weeks later he got a check for over $100 for his inconvenience.
Old 11-29-07, 10:47 PM
VipDout
19x11.5 -51

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jfive
2 Questions

1. Can we get this repaired at no cost from a dealer even if our 98 GS's are out of warrenty?

2. Is that why I can hear loud static noises when my cell phone is about to ring?
I believe you have nextel happeneds with all the phones ...

and good question about warranty
Old 11-30-07, 05:37 AM
G4inRich
Rookie

To be honest with you, I dont really know about getting it repaired for free if ya warranty is out of date, I wish we could but I doubt it... Sorry man..But I did get mines fixed without a warranty at Toyota and it came to $748...And yeah, a signal from sumthin as simple as a cell phone can activate that annoying VSC light from what I understand...

Last edited by G4inRich; 11-30-07 at 05:38 AM. Reason: none
Old 11-30-07, 06:40 AM
LEXUS_KID
Lexus Champion

To be honest with you, I dont really know about getting it repaired for free if ya warranty is out of date, I wish we could but I doubt it... Sorry man..But I did get mines fixed without a warranty at Toyota and it came to $748...And yeah, a signal from sumthin as simple as a cell phone can activate that annoying VSC light from what I understand...

You paid for something that was recaled by a MANUFACTURING DEFECT how could this be
Old 11-30-07, 11:25 AM
DoWnAqT
Driver

a recall is free of charge, regardless of the year. Toyota has a recall on early 90s pick ups for the steering relay rod. This recall is about a year old and we are replacing the relay rods on trucks that are pretty old. So it doesnt matter on the year of it. As long as the recall is still active. However if this problem is only a TSB (technical service bulletion), then you have to pay out of the pocket for it. If I was at work, I could let you know if the recall is still open. So when I go back wedsday Ill look into this matter.
Old 11-30-07, 12:42 PM
jfive
Driver School Candidate

For $748...what did they do/replace? And does it happen again? Those lights came on only a couple of times. I would say maybe 3 or 4 times a year. I guess for some other GS owners it happens more frequently. I don't really mind it cuz it goes away after I let the car sit for a bit.

But what really bothers me is that static noise when my cell phone is about to ring. Anybody know how to get rid of that? It doesn't happen when I turn my radio off....and the noise is coming from the speakers. Any suggestions would be helpful....
Old 12-03-07, 12:36 PM
G4inRich
Rookie

Cool

Originally Posted by LEXUS_KID
You paid for something that was recaled by a MANUFACTURING DEFECT how could this be
Wow---out with the BIG Letters, uh-oh..lol...When I went to Toyota they said what needed to be replaced was my Throttle Positioning Sensors( TPS). The service tech said that only one would need replacing but there was another that will give me trouble later. So I went ahead and did both. Does anybody know if what I had fixed is part of the recall? I dont think so but Im not a mechanic

Last edited by G4inRich; 12-03-07 at 12:37 PM. Reason: none
Old 12-03-07, 01:45 PM
Caoboy
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by jfive

But what really bothers me is that static noise when my cell phone is about to ring. Anybody know how to get rid of that? It doesn't happen when I turn my radio off....and the noise is coming from the speakers. Any suggestions would be helpful....
Change cell phone services. It's just the frequency signal that gets picked up by speakers when your phone is about to ring.

Mine did this with sprint and cingular/att, and i believe t-mobile, but with verizon, it didn't. It's nothing serious, you don't have to worry about it. It's kind of nice to know when your phone is ringing and it's on silent lol.

Quick Reply: I wonder how many of us had to pay for this one?