GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

VAIStech SL2i problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-07, 11:13 AM
r0ng5
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default VAIStech SL2i problems

FIXED!! explanation below

I just installed the VAIStech SL2i and it works beautifully, for the most part. I have a few problems and I'm hoping someone here can help me out.

First of all, I have a 2004 with Navi/ML.

1. I can't turn off the "nag screen". I tried the whole Simple mode, then push [Disc repeat] (then a long beep). I dont' have [Disc repeat] as a physical button, I don't even have [repeat] as a physical button. Is a screen suppose to pop up asking me if I want the "I agree" screen off? This is not a huge problem, but it'd be nice to have the nag screen turned off. Probable Fix

2. After I've installed the unit, I noticed that after I turn on the car and I push "I agree" (once), it'll transition to the map screen (nothing out of the ordinary here). However, the map will start zooming out! with as little as one increment to up to 5 increments! anyone else have this problem? fix?

3. When I have the iPod/Audio on before I turn off the car, then I start the car again, does anyone else get major static from the iPod when it starts playing? it seems like the SL2i has to 'warm up' before it'll start playing the audio correctly.

And then I have one more question unrelated to the SL2i, but it's also an audio questions.

I want to go into the 'diagnostic mode' to turn up/down the different channels in my audio system. I tried the [climate]+[audio] buttons while turning on my parking lights... it doesn't work! I've seen older GS equipped with Navi that has just the [climate] and [audio] button to the left of the nav screen. On my unit, I have like 6 buttons! (so ~4 additional buttons between the [climate] and [audio] buttons). Any help on this? Suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by r0ng5; 12-06-07 at 09:49 PM.
Old 12-03-07, 11:37 AM
uplusd
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by r0ng5
I just installed the VAIStech SL2i and it works beautifully, for the most part. I have a few problems and I'm hoping someone here can help me out.

3. When I have the iPod/Audio on before I turn off the car, then I start the car again, does anyone else get major static from the iPod when it starts playing? it seems like the SL2i has to 'warm up' before it'll start playing the audio correctly.
I also have Nav/ML and SL2i just like you. I don't have issues with your first 2 concerns. However, I also experience #3 and it is very annoying. VaisTech wasn't able to help me with it and just told me to try out a new iPod
Old 12-03-07, 11:55 AM
r0ng5
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mrurmil
I also have Nav/ML and SL2i just like you. I don't have issues with your first 2 concerns. However, I also experience #3 and it is very annoying. VaisTech wasn't able to help me with it and just told me to try out a new iPod
haha, of course right?

With my first concern, were you able to get rid of the nag screen? Did a new screen pop up after you followed the instructions that asked whether you wanted to turn off the nag screen or not? Any info will be much appreciated. Thanks.
Old 12-03-07, 11:59 AM
upstateGS4
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i have the sl2i as well, just installed a few months back.. dont have ANY of the issues you mentioned.. i cant remember exactly what the initial setup was but there are a few toggle "switches" on the sli unit that have to be in the correct up/down position for your specific model and also while in programming mode i believe... i remember when i first hooked it up i didnt have the switches at the right setting and it didnt do the auto "i agree" function until i switched it to the proper setting. get vaistech on the phone if you can while you have access to the unit in your car and explain the issue to them they should be able to help you correct the problem. its a decent unit for the price and its been great having it in the car being able to use the on screen functions and leaving the ipod in the glovebox.
Old 12-03-07, 12:18 PM
r0ng5
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by upstateGS4
i have the sl2i as well, just installed a few months back.. dont have ANY of the issues you mentioned.. i cant remember exactly what the initial setup was but there are a few toggle "switches" on the sli unit that have to be in the correct up/down position for your specific model and also while in programming mode i believe... i remember when i first hooked it up i didnt have the switches at the right setting and it didnt do the auto "i agree" function until i switched it to the proper setting. get vaistech on the phone if you can while you have access to the unit in your car and explain the issue to them they should be able to help you correct the problem. its a decent unit for the price and its been great having it in the car being able to use the on screen functions and leaving the ipod in the glovebox.
OH! So the SL2i unit has to be in the programming mode! Ok, thanks, i'll try that.
Old 12-04-07, 10:37 AM
uplusd
Lexus Test Driver

Just wondering - Which generation and model iPod are you using?
Old 12-04-07, 11:10 AM
upstateGS4
Lexus Champion

Just wondering - Which generation and model iPod are you using?

i have the new 80gb but i think you were asking the other guy.
Old 12-04-07, 11:15 AM
uplusd
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by upstateGS4
i have the new 80gb but i think you were asking the other guy.
Yeah I was wondering what he had since we are experiencing the same static on boot up issue.

I have the newest generation "classic". Is that what you have too?
Old 12-04-07, 11:19 AM
r0ng5
Driver School Candidate

Yeah I was wondering what he had since we are experiencing the same static on boot up issue.

I have the newest generation "classic". Is that what you have too?

I have the older generation b/w iPod 20 gb
Old 12-04-07, 11:23 AM
uplusd
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by r0ng5
I have the older generation b/w iPod 20 gb
Ok cool. So we can rule out the problem is not iPod model/generation specific.

I'll try to keep bugging VaisTech but this might just be a necessary evil we have to live with
Old 12-04-07, 11:37 AM
upstateGS4
Lexus Champion

I'll try to keep bugging VaisTech but this might just be a necessary evil we have to live with

i have the 80gb video they came out with recently RIGHT before the brand new thinner 80gb "classic"...you know, the one from a few months back that was supposed to be the "biggest & best" one you could buy... but good old apple loves to make people feel like they bought outdated crap 5 seconds after we pay for it and pushed the "newer" brand new one out along with the touch a few weeks later. yeah apple!
Old 12-04-07, 12:08 PM
r0ng5
Driver School Candidate

well, at least we know. it was pretty freaky last night, i turned on the car and it was in some not-so-well-lit place and it was just like, this static-y, coarse noise coming from what seems to be behind the seat.
Old 12-06-07, 09:56 PM
r0ng5
Driver School Candidate

This is for reference only:

First of all, I have a 2004 with Navi/ML.

1. I can't turn off the "nag screen". I tried the whole Simple mode, then push [Disc repeat] (then a long beep). I dont' have [Disc repeat] as a physical button, I don't even have [repeat] as a physical button. Is a screen suppose to pop up asking me if I want the "I agree" screen off? This is not a huge problem, but it'd be nice to have the nag screen turned off.
This actually worked. It does not have to be in the 'programming' mode to do this. Follow the instructions provided. There is no 'other screen' that asks you if you want the nag screen on or off. Just after the long beep, it's done. Once you start up the car, the 'I agree' button is automatically 'pressed' after a short second.

2. After I've installed the unit, I noticed that after I turn on the car and I push "I agree" (once), it'll transition to the map screen (nothing out of the ordinary here). However, the map will start zooming out! with as little as one increment to up to 5 increments! anyone else have this problem? fix?
So how the nag-screen elimination works is that it automatically 'presses' the "I agree" button for you. I had already set the nag-screen elimination on and because I pushed the 'I Agree' button before the VAIS unit, it still needs to 'press' a button in that area. Since in the "Map" screen, the 'zoom out' button is there, it pushes that, moving the increments of zoom out one.

Apparently, this does not just affect 4th generation iPods (20GB U2 Edition, b/w screen). It apparently affects some of the later generation iPods as well. I need to try out flash iPods too (I will update this when I do)