GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

custom cold air box for your SRT set up.....will you be interested?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-02, 01:25 PM
LexusRules
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

whats solidworks? did u make that just now man? could u teach me on AIM sometime?
Old 01-24-02, 01:26 PM
enginyr
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

haha....sure....www.solidworks.com
Old 01-24-02, 02:54 PM
Kajukenbo
Lead Lap

Solidworks! I will be using Solidworks.

Hey enginyr,
Maybe you and I can work on this project together. You can check my drawings This will be an easy sheet metal design. I will check with you when I get the prelim. parts and assembly done.
Old 01-24-02, 04:28 PM
enginyr
Banned

Originally posted by Kajukenbo
Solidworks! I will be using Solidworks.

Hey enginyr,
Maybe you and I can work on this project together. You can check my drawings This will be an easy sheet metal design. I will check with you when I get the prelim. parts and assembly done.

haha...If you think this will be an easy design, maybe you should be checking MY drawings ..... At any rate, the easiest way to make a mok up is with wood or card board...Once that is settled you can go ahead with a sheet metal/plexiglass/plastic design.
Old 01-24-02, 04:53 PM
RacingAristo

wooden airbox sounds good enough to me. J/K.
Old 01-24-02, 05:43 PM
BLiu
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by Kajukenbo
Hey guys,

I think there is a enough interest for me to start this project. I will work with my sheet metal vendor to look over the current SRT design. I will try to come up with the easiest and cleanest design so that we can take the cost factor out of it. As far as finish goes, we should wait until you guys see the prototype.

Aluminum sheet metal is the way that I am going to approach it. If you guys want to have a clear polycarbonate window to see your air filter, we can modify the design after the initial design is done. I will do some testing first (especially noise) before I release the design for production. As far as heat shieding goes, I don't really know how much this box is going to improve, unless I put some heat shielding pads on the out side of the box to keep the heat out.

I am hoping it will take no more than a few weeks before the prototype can be build. We can then also decide if we want a door lid secured by a couple of hinges or just a straight screw-on type lid.

I will also try to generate a pdf file from my 3-d solid model program for you guys to see the product.

We will keep in touch............
Hey guys,

Be careful about adding a Cold Air Box to the SRT intake. If it was just the intake, then it should be OK. However, ultimately if you have an SRT intake, you have the piggyback ECU and that brings in another factor. The reason I say this is that DavidGS400 has the SRT HFI/ECU and he tried to build a custom box for the SRT. Well, it turns out the turbulence within the box was not very agreeable with the ECU and his car stalled a lot probably at idle. Do a search, I think he posted his results sometime ago.

There is got to be a reason why SRT did not make a cold air box. Their products are top quality and because they already have a shield in place, you would think they would have went all the way and just covered the area with a box. Well, that's my take at least.

I would suggest digging around or asking David GS400 about his experiences before everybody builds a CAB for the SRT HFI/ECU and everybody's cars start stalling. Just a warning...

Here is the previous post...Look all the way down for David GS400 he has two posts that explains what he did...

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...threadid=22996

Brent

Last edited by BLiu; 01-24-02 at 05:51 PM.
Old 01-24-02, 06:05 PM
RacingAristo

Thanks Brent for your information.
Old 01-25-02, 05:40 PM
Kajukenbo
Lead Lap

Hey Brent,

Thanks for the warning. I think I will definitely test out the product first before I release it to production. I agree with DaveGS400, if there is too much air been drawn to the filter (not driven by the throttle), it will definitely cause the sensor to go crazy.

The goal of the box is mainly for noise reduction and hopefully, I mean hopefully, it will increase some kind of performance.

I do intend to put noise absorbing material inside of the box to get rid the unwanted noise. I guess I will find out pretty quickly if my car starting to stall on me due to the enclosure.

I will keep you guys posted!