GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Was in an accident

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-07 | 09:25 AM
dk0515
Pole Position

Default Was in an accident

Hi guys,

I don't really know where to post this so I'm posting it here.

My little brother was in a car accident yesterday night. He was driving a 2GS going straight through a green light when a car (on coming) turned left and stopped in front of my brother. Then my brother T-boned him and then was hit by another driver from the next lane over. My brother is ok and has minor injuries thanks to Lexus' safety features.

However, When I arrived at the seen 15 mins later, I was talking to the guy making that left turn and smelled alcohol on his breath. I told the police officer as well as other bystanders and the officer responded with "I don't see any symptoms in his eyes so his not drunk." Also, the officer didn't give me a police report and said to call a number on his card to get it later.

I know that in any accident, if the person is suspect to be intoxicated the will give some tests.

What do you guys suggest I should do?

Thanks for any help.
Old 12-06-07 | 09:37 AM
nsf0607
Pole Position

Sorry to hear about your brother. Glad to know that he is ok. The GS can be replaced but not your brother. You may have no recourse since the driver was not tested at the scene. You may need to contact a lawyer. It’s unfortunate that the police officer did not test the driver since you and others suspected fowl play. Good luck and keep us up to date.
Old 12-06-07 | 09:41 AM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

That's crazy...hope all is well. I wonder if the officer "knows" the other intoxicated individual and was trying to let him off the hook. If so...that's BS! I hope things work out for you and your brother.
Old 12-06-07 | 09:55 AM
TruPlaya26
Lexus Champion
CL Folding 10,000

Since this happened last night there's no way to prove now that the other driver was drinking. You have 2 choices, hire a really good lawyer and hope he can help you out ... or get in contact with the third driver that was involved and see if he can testify in court that he smelled alcohol on the first drivers breath and the officer did nothing after this was brought to his attention. 3 people's word against one, who do you think the judge will believe? Glad your brother is ok, and hopefully the GS can be repaired, Good Luck man.
Old 12-06-07 | 11:17 AM
dk0515
Pole Position

Thanks guys.

We have hired a lawyer and also the 3rd party contacted us about the drunk driver so we'll be working together against the suspected drunk driver.

My lawyer wasn't to happy that the officer wouldn't give us a police report even when my brother was transfered to the local hospital. He's is trying to figure out what happened with that officer.

Thanks again, and I'll keep you guys posted.

Last edited by dk0515; 12-06-07 at 11:37 AM.
Old 12-06-07 | 11:36 AM
PushinLEX
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by TruPlaya26
Since this happened last night there's no way to prove now that the other driver was drinking. You have 2 choices, hire a really good lawyer and hope he can help you out ... or get in contact with the third driver that was involved and see if he can testify in court that he smelled alcohol on the first drivers breath and the officer did nothing after this was brought to his attention. 3 people's word against one, who do you think the judge will believe? Glad your brother is ok, and hopefully the GS can be repaired, Good Luck man.
Its more like three interested (non-expert) parties v. 1 non-biased expert witness. The testimony of a po in the court of law is considered an expert witness. Not as clear cut as it maybe, but nonetheless better than 1 witness against 1 cop.

Originally Posted by dk0515
Thanks guys.

We have hired a lawyer and also the 3rd party contacted us about the drunk driver so we'll be working together against the suspect drunk driver.

My lawyer wasn't to happy that the officer wouldn't give us a police report even when my brother was transfered to the local hospital. He's is trying to figure out what happened with that officer.

Thanks again, and I'll keep you guys posted.
Definitely get a lawyer involved. Dont lag on it either. Glad your bro is safe. GL with your case! Please keep us updated.