GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Not turning over

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-07, 02:32 PM
Robbyh
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Not turning over

Well the other day while driving on the freeway my gs300 had soem problems.
While doing about 65 all of a sudden the rpms dropped to idel and the gas pedel stoped working no matter how much it was depressed.
This had appened once before but after sitting for a few min it would be ok. This time nothing everytime I started it the car would idel ruff and die a few sec later. So I got towed home...

Now this morning it wont even idel, it will not even turn over. Just keeps spinning trying to start. So I think it may also be the crank angle sensor, but cant find it on the engine. So I cant test or replace it.. Anyone got any pics or any additional ideas on what wrong?

I know the car is getting fuel and spark cause it ran the other day and did idel after the inital problem....
Old 12-10-07, 09:19 AM
Robbyh
Driver School Candidate

anyone??

Also forgot to mention the ecu is not throwing any codes.. Which is also weird..

I've trided using my other key just incase it was the immobilizer, nothing. Tried starting it with a jump incase the battery was not putting out enough juice, nothing. Unpluged the battery for 30 min to reset the ecu, nothing.

I'd really like to avoid taking it in to the dealer since I know it will ost some serious $$..
Old 12-10-07, 10:29 AM
NBart
Pole Position

Sorry to hear about this, but it sounds like you should have it brought to a dealer to have it diagnosed for the root cause of your problems. Good luck.
Old 12-10-07, 12:55 PM
Robbyh
Driver School Candidate

Well its going in on Wednesday but it would be nice if I can save the $110 diag fee by fixing it prior tto that..
Old 12-13-07, 08:41 AM
Robbyh
Driver School Candidate

Update:
Yesterday morning still would not start so I had it towed into the dealer. Funny thing is it started right up once there and they drove it into the service area.. This is the 2nd time the car fixed itself after being lifted up front first.
Dealer spent all day with the car and this is what they just told me:

Air filter is dirty
Oil is low (1 qt)
Spark plugs are dirty
Acc belt is cracking
Battery trminal is loose

After all day thats the only things they know for sure..

They suggest replacing the entire tps (sensor and magnetic clutch) as well as the accel. pedel pos sensor, just because those parts MAY be bad.. No codes are being thrown or anything..

They have yet to find any cause for the not starting or the stalling out.
Old 12-13-07, 10:19 AM
NBart
Pole Position

I wonder if the loose battery cable had something to do with the failure to start at the house, but the tow to the dealership wiggled it enough to cause contact and that is why it started. If you don't have a code, there is no reason to replace the part. Service department is tring to upsell you from a small ticket to a bigger one.

Remember, sales doesn't make the dealership doors stay open day to day, service department and bodyshop does.
Old 12-13-07, 12:08 PM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by NBart
I wonder if the loose battery cable had something to do with the failure to start at the house, but the tow to the dealership wiggled it enough to cause contact and that is why it started. If you don't have a code, there is no reason to replace the part. Service department is tring to upsell you from a small ticket to a bigger one.

Remember, sales doesn't make the dealership doors stay open day to day, service department and bodyshop does.

+1 buy a new battery, tighten everything up and see if that helps.
Old 12-13-07, 02:27 PM
Robbyh
Driver School Candidate

Battery is less than 3 months old, so I know its good.. But with the loose connector is getting replaced.

Time to give them a call again and see whats up..
Old 12-14-07, 08:29 AM
Robbyh
Driver School Candidate

Well they wanted to keep it another day and do some more road testing.. They said the car was running fine and no codes..
Old 12-14-07, 08:50 AM
swat1727
Instructor

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts

does gs have cap & rotors?
Old 12-14-07, 06:09 PM
Robbyh
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by swat1727
does gs have cap & rotors?
No...

Well it happened, car stalled out on the take off from a light and dropped to idel. To bad it happened when the lot attendent was driving it and not the tech. But so far they still did not find any codes or reason for this..
So they are keeping over the weekend..

On the plus side they gave me a nice new es350 to sport till they fix mine. Which was suprizing since mines a 99 and is not under any service contract with them.. The ES will be nice on my trip to LA this monday..
Old 12-19-07, 09:44 PM
Robbyh
Driver School Candidate

So today they replaced the accellerator pedel position sensor, it was not sending any singles to the tps. Once that was replaced they noticed that the throttle body motor was not always sending the correct signal so thats getting replaced..

Best part is I'm not paying for any of it.... Because I just tradded it in to them for a 2008 IS250.

But I will say this, my 99 gs rode smoother and quieter than this new IS.
Old 12-20-07, 07:08 AM
NBart
Pole Position

ROCK & ROLL. I love it when customers of mine do that to our service department. Get them thinking they are about to make a big ticket and then it get traded in and the repairs are done at cost.