GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)
View Poll Results: What's your average gas mileage in your GS300/400/430?
Under 14 MPG
6.16%
15-16 MPG
10.94%
17-18 MPG
21.13%
19-20 MPG
32.20%
21-22 MPG
17.86%
Above 22 MPG
11.70%
Voters: 795. You may not vote on this poll

GS 300/400 Gas mileage?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-05, 04:10 PM
3dog
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cool people driving slow

Originally Posted by nate579
Well, with the gas price going up. I have slowed down considerabily. My average use to be 17-18mpg now I am getting 20-22. It's easy if you are willing to put up with the honking horns and blinking lights. And that's from the people in the far left (slow) lane. But I am averaging between 55-65mph on the highway. Boy, nothing like getting flipped off by grandma in a toyota corolla.

I cannot believe you guys have Lexus GS's and drive like a bunch of old pussies.

My gas mileage has gone down with the 3.76 LSD
Went down further with the torque-converter and
Went down again with the supercharger.

Have I backed off the throttle one bit?
HELL NO!

It can go up to $5 or $6 bucks a gallon and I'm still gonna floor that baby
Hell thats why I"ve got a V8.
If I was worried about gas mileage I would have bought a honda civic

The cost of gas goes up

It is not going to go back down! So get over it.

You"ve got cars that cost $35-$45000 new.
They probably cost most of you $20-$30,000 used

The cost of gas is peanuts compared to the cost of your car, or your house,
or my wife going shopping.

If you can't afford to put gas in your car sell it.
Ride a bike or walk for christs sake.

I can't wait for some of you slow pokes to get off the road..

Then I can floor it even more!

Oh by the way around town I'm getting 11 to 12 miles a gallon
When I first got the Supercharger and really had my foot in it I was getting around 8mpg

Ivan
3dog

Last edited by 3dog; 09-04-05 at 04:14 PM.
Old 09-04-05, 04:49 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

wow Ivan, just tell us how you really feel

I know what you mean, I have to put that tach at 6000rpm a few times almost every outing.
Old 09-04-05, 04:57 PM
nate579
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 3dog
I cannot believe you guys have Lexus GS's and drive like a bunch of old pussies.

My gas mileage has gone down with the 3.76 LSD
Went down further with the torque-converter and
Went down again with the supercharger.

Have I backed off the throttle one bit?
HELL NO!

It can go up to $5 or $6 bucks a gallon and I'm still gonna floor that baby
Hell thats why I"ve got a V8.
If I was worried about gas mileage I would have bought a honda civic

The cost of gas goes up

It is not going to go back down! So get over it.

You"ve got cars that cost $35-$45000 new.
They probably cost most of you $20-$30,000 used

The cost of gas is peanuts compared to the cost of your car, or your house,
or my wife going shopping.

If you can't afford to put gas in your car sell it.
Ride a bike or walk for christs sake.

I can't wait for some of you slow pokes to get off the road..

Then I can floor it even more!

Oh by the way around town I'm getting 11 to 12 miles a gallon
When I first got the Supercharger and really had my foot in it I was getting around 8mpg

Ivan
3dog
LMAO, Yea, Well I can afford it. But do not condone put money in someone else's pocket. Let's see you say that when station are closed. Like in my area. Have Fun.
Old 09-04-05, 05:16 PM
3dog
Lexus Test Driver

Red face

LMAO, Yea, Well I can afford it. But do not condone put money in someone else's pocket. Let's see you say that when station are closed. Like in my area. Have Fun.
That is my biggest fear. That there will be no gas.

Well, with the gas price going up. I have slowed down considerabily. My average use to be 17-18mpg now I am getting 20-22. It's easy if you are willing to put up with the honking horns and blinking lights. And that's from the people in the far left (slow) lane. But I am averaging between 55-65mph on the highway. Boy, nothing like getting flipped off by grandma in a toyota corolla.

However your post only complained about the cost.

You never said stations were closed.
If stations are closed, I feel bad for you and hope it gets better soon.

As far as putting money in someone elses pocket, you heard that the oil companies made record profits. Not much you can do about that.

I was around for the Arab oil embargo back in 73 and lots of stations were closed. And the ones that were open had a 10 gallon limit and on top of that they had an odd even system based on your license plate number. It was pure hell!

People got up in the middle of the night to get in line. Lines went around the block and sometimes would stretch for a mile. People were in a panic and if they saw a station open with no line they would pull in and top off their tank.

If that is what it is like there I would drive slower too!

Ivan
3dog
Old 09-04-05, 06:05 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

Its just said that our society has come down to this weather or not we are going to have gas or not...Like i said before Congress or whoever does it needs to have a increase in our wages to compensate for gas and cost of living.... this is just crazy.... Enough said
Old 09-04-05, 06:22 PM
nate579
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 3dog

However your post only complained about the cost.

You never said stations were closed.
If stations are closed, I feel bad for you and hope it gets better soon.

As far as putting money in someone elses pocket, you heard that the oil companies made record profits. Not much you can do about that.

I was around for the Arab oil embargo back in 73 and lots of stations were closed. And the ones that were open had a 10 gallon limit and on top of that they had an odd even system based on your license plate number. It was pure hell!

People got up in the middle of the night to get in line. Lines went around the block and sometimes would stretch for a mile. People were in a panic and if they saw a station open with no line they would pull in and top off their tank.

If that is what it is like there I would drive slower too!

Ivan
3dog
Yep, Alot of stations ran out of gas here in Maryland. I have a small supply in the shed just in case. The post actually wasn't a complaint, it was 1. Remarking at the fact that I can actually do the speed limit. 2. At the fuel efficiency of the GS430 . Gas would have to get pretty high for me to even consider getting rid of my baby. Hell, Between the GS, Ford Ranger and my wife's CLK. We are definitely doing our part for the enrichment of the Oil Companies pockets. But, there are a bit of gouging scattered all over so I am being a careful consumer when it comes too purchasing from the gas stations. I do remember the 70's embargo, not a pretty sight. Have seen quite of few long lines and fights already. Hope most of you are fairing well through this storm.
Old 09-04-05, 07:42 PM
the hustler07
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Since the gas prices went up, I've been getting around 42X miles per tank, and still have probably 10-15 more miles i could go. Its like they put some type of additive in the gas, cuz I use to barely hit 400 miles per full tank.

98 GS 400.
Old 09-04-05, 07:54 PM
3dog
Lexus Test Driver

Yep, Alot of stations ran out of gas here in Maryland. I have a small supply in the shed just in case. The post actually wasn't a complaint, it was 1. Remarking at the fact that I can actually do the speed limit. 2. At the fuel efficiency of the GS430 . Gas would have to get pretty high for me to even consider getting rid of my baby. Hell, Between the GS, Ford Ranger and my wife's CLK. We are definitely doing our part for the enrichment of the Oil Companies pockets. But, there are a bit of gouging scattered all over so I am being a careful consumer when it comes too purchasing from the gas stations. I do remember the 70's embargo, not a pretty sight. Have seen quite of few long lines and fights already. Hope most of you are fairing well through this storm.

I was talking to a guy today that told me back in 73 his dad kept gas in jars and containers anything he could find. People go crazy when they are afraid they won't be able to get gas.

I even had a barrel about 15 gallons I think that I got from work and I filled it full of gas.
Used to go a lot of trips into the mts back then to go hiking. Had a 69 chevy van with a 307 engine(i think it was a307ci, it has been a long time and we did a lot of drugs back then)
also would haul along a bunch of 5 gallon gas cans. Well being young and not very smart we would smoke joints right next to all this gasoline. Well nothing ever blew up so I guess we got very lucky. NOT RECOMMENDED!

I'm sorry about coming on so strong.

I I had not looked at this thread for a long time, had actually been ignoring it. I got on it along time ago. But today I decided to see what everyone was saying. And then you said you were driving so slow trying to save gas that old ladies were flipping you off.

I believe ya that people have been getting in fights over this.

I hope they get this fixed soon for everyones sake.

Ivan
Old 09-20-05, 04:58 AM
GSoup
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

i've been averaging anywhere between 16-22 mpg depending on the way my foot is feeling for the day. Some days it just wants to act up and not give a f*** and other days it just wants to lounge. I think I could do better but driving in new york city doesn't help and i just love driving this baby hard sometimes...
Old 09-20-05, 08:06 AM
Eric-RPS13-
Lead Lap

well after I got tuned out with the SAFC2 on the highway my car just sips and I was taking it pretty easy for me. I got 28 mpg previous best was 26 mpg on the way to florida over the summer I made it to saint augustine from atlanta on one tank and still had a few gallons to spare
Old 09-20-05, 11:50 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by GSoup
i just love driving this baby hard sometimes...

Only sometimes?

Old 09-22-05, 10:44 AM
LTunedGS3
Driver School Candidate

98 GS300--no engine mods; religiously use Chevron Premium gas

I drive pretty conservatively and get about 21mpg on mixed city and hwy driving. My best average ever was a couple weeks ago when I was commuting to Diamond Bar--I got nearly 24mpg
Old 09-27-05, 09:26 AM
soyhead
Driver

got the car a few weeks ago but have been monitoring it, i do a mix of both highway and city and when all is said and done i average between 19-20
Old 10-21-05, 06:17 AM
GWELEX
Lexus Champion

'01 gs 430, fill up as soon as the warning light turns on. 62 miles one way commute, speed control set at 72 whenever possible. Getting anywhere from 23.7 to 24.2 mpg's
Old 10-21-05, 10:08 AM
FLIPPU
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just did a couple of trips last week..

From my house (Palmdale) to Las Vegas - Less than Half a tank.

Last weekend, I did over 360 miles before the light came on.. Palmdale - Oxnard - Fontana - Palmdale - Oxnard....

Pretty awesome gas mileage if you ask me... I used Premium Shell

Mike

Quick Reply: GS 300/400 Gas mileage?