GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

TripTronIc CoNvErtioN ???<B> (e-shift conversion)

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-07 | 08:26 AM
LeXaNoMicS
Lead Lap

Default TripTronIc CoNvErtioN ???<B> (e-shift conversion)

Does anyone know if is possible to add triptronic to a non factory triptronic...would it be just swapping tranny's and steering wheel or is the ecu programmed to run it ???
Old 12-13-07 | 10:10 AM
NBart
Pole Position

I'm sure it is possible, but is it probable? It would be cheaper in the long run to trade up for a car that already has it. To be honest, I have it in my car and never use it. More of an inconvenience than convenience.
Old 12-13-07 | 11:41 AM
LeXaNoMicS
Lead Lap

i wouldnt think it would help in up shift just though it would be nice to able to down shift but i guess it isnt that big of a deal i was just curious thank you ...
Old 12-13-07 | 01:25 PM
VNN326
Lexus Champion

i was sad when i got my car and it didnt have that. but hey you just made me feel better about it lol
Old 12-13-07 | 01:32 PM
VM 2
Pole Position

what is "trip tronic"?

aNd wHy dO yoU tYpE lyKe dIS?
Old 12-13-07 | 02:19 PM
NBart
Pole Position

[QUOTE=VM 2;3122323]what is "trip tronic"?

PLAY NICE!!!!
Old 12-13-07 | 04:04 PM
TRD911
Lead Lap

E-shift.

I only use mine in the neighborhood to get the revs up. Otherwise I Hate it. I drove a prelude that was AWSOME. It would start in 5th gear if you made it. That is what I expected when I first drove me GS4.

BP
Old 12-13-07 | 04:51 PM
tofu_house
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bmpiazzola
E-shift.

I only use mine in the neighborhood to get the revs up. Otherwise I Hate it. I drove a prelude that was AWSOME. It would start in 5th gear if you made it. That is what I expected when I first drove me GS4.

BP
Just wondering but why would you want to start in 5th gear to get the revs up? Especially starting from a dig, wouldn't you want to stay in a low gear and get the revs up that way?

Yes, this "tip-tronic" on the Lexus GS model is called E-Shift but there is no point in doing so because the shifting is not very fast and it's more of a hassle to use it than not to.
Old 12-13-07 | 05:18 PM
TRD911
Lead Lap

[QUOTE=BrianGS430;3122815]Just wondering but why would you want to start in 5th gear to get the revs up? Especially starting from a dig, wouldn't you want to stay in a low gear and get the revs up that way?

No. I was not saying it was practical. I was just saying that if you wanted a "manual" trans you could start in 5th. When I put it in M "manual" (right) I should be able to be as stupid as I want and leave it in 5th to start or 1st or 2nd..... etc. M should mean manual not semi AUTO.

So to pic on your quote of me.... not be be confrontational but,,,,, wouldn't you love to have control of 1st via E-shift? ha ha... gotcha. Not trying to make you made. Just that you left yourself WIDE open to that. Pls dont take me the wrong way I do not mean any harm in my dry sarcasm.

BP
Old 12-13-07 | 05:40 PM
tofu_house
Lexus Champion

[QUOTE=bmpiazzola;3122881]
Originally Posted by BrianGS430
Just wondering but why would you want to start in 5th gear to get the revs up? Especially starting from a dig, wouldn't you want to stay in a low gear and get the revs up that way?

No. I was not saying it was practical. I was just saying that if you wanted a "manual" trans you could start in 5th. When I put it in M "manual" (right) I should be able to be as stupid as I want and leave it in 5th to start or 1st or 2nd..... etc. M should mean manual not semi AUTO.

So to pic on your quote of me.... not be be confrontational but,,,,, wouldn't you love to have control of 1st via E-shift? ha ha... gotcha. Not trying to make you made. Just that you left yourself WIDE open to that. Pls dont take me the wrong way I do not mean any harm in my dry sarcasm.

BP
Okay. Again, just wondering, but from my knowledge, can you even get a car to move starting in 5th gear?

From a practical standpoint, no driver is going to start his car in 5th gear. The manual "mode" in the GS imitates a manual trans vehicle but it'll never be a true stick shift. You can start moving the GS in 1st or 2nd if you want to just by switching over to the e-shift option. Because our GS's are 5 spd, when you're in the 5th gear "mode" you've basically automatically switched the car into automatic. And this is where I see your point. You should be able to leave it in 5th gear without having to have the car switch over to automatic in 5th. True. But you could just as easily drop it back into 4th and remain in "manual" if you want.

However, to properly launch a car, you launch from a low gear and the GS DOES allow that. You can start it in 1st, 2nd, 3rd, or even 4th if you think it's even worth doing. But as the tranny is designed, our cars are placed back into the automatic position once in 5th gear.

No offense taken but I don't understand what I made myself open to? I can switch over to the manual mode in my GS430 at anytime. I just don't have the buttons on the steering wheel. Other than that, the E-shift operates in exactly the same way so technically, I can operate in 1st gear anytime I want.

I don't understand what you're getting at?
Old 12-13-07 | 05:42 PM
GS FONZy
Lexus Champion

BP
Man, what are you smoking If you shift from D to M the car will say it's in fifth, but does not mean if you come to a stop and you never down shifted from fifth gear that the car stays in fifth The car will down shift on its own, so driving in fifth does absolutely nothing for you or the car, no high revs no anything. The transmissions will still shift like if it was in DRIVE. Also, tiptronic is the same as down shifting from you shifter, but much easier. Unless you are rich and like to ISH money away, then go ahead and make a non E-shift GS to a E-shift

Last edited by GS FONZy; 12-14-07 at 05:01 PM.
Old 12-13-07 | 06:40 PM
TRD911
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by GS FONZy
Man, what are you smoking If you shift from D to M the car will say it's in fifth, but does not mean if you come to a stop and you never down shifted from fifth gear that the car stays in fifth The car will down shift on its own, so driving in fifth does absolutely nothing for you or the car, no high revs no anything. The transmissions will still shift like if it was in DRIVE. Also, titronic is the same as down shifting from you shifter, but much easier. Unless you are rich and like to ISH money away, then go ahead and make a non E-shift GS to a E-shift
huh? smoke i only drink. but still.. I had trouble reading what you wrote. The Honda prelude that I drove would allow you to start in any gear that you wanted. Yes when you where in manual mode it would automatically shift to first gear from a stop but, you could manually up shift to any gear you want to once stopped then start from that gear,i.e. 5th or 4th.. etc.

I am not smoking anything. Have you ever had such an experience?

BP
Old 12-13-07 | 06:43 PM
TRD911
Lead Lap

What is ISH?
Old 12-13-07 | 06:52 PM
tofu_house
Lexus Champion

huh? smoke i only drink. but still.. I had trouble reading what you wrote. The Honda prelude that I drove would allow you to start in any gear that you wanted. Yes when you where in manual mode it would automatically shift to first gear from a stop but, you could manually up shift to any gear you want to once stopped then start from that gear,i.e. 5th or 4th.. etc.

I am not smoking anything. Have you ever had such an experience?

BP
Okay, you answers are becoming more and more immature. There's no need for any of that you guys.

First off, in the GS, you can start off in any gear you want also EXCEPT for 5th gear which places your car back into it's automatic mode. When stopped, you can start from any gear below 5th but like I said, there's no reason why you would start that high anyway. If you want to start off the line in 2nd gear, pop it into 2nd and be off. There's no restriction in the GS that does not allow that. I've gone off the line in 3rd (forgot to shift back down to 1st or 2nd) but had no trouble in 3rd. It was just a little sluggish in the beginning but pick up it's perk when I hit about 25-30.

By the way, this is coming from a GS430 so I don't have the E-shift buttons but I do use the shifter to shift and it's the same concept.
Old 12-13-07 | 06:52 PM
tofu_house
Lexus Champion

What is ISH?
That would be the evil word for crap.

Quick Reply: TripTronIc CoNvErtioN ???<B> (e-shift conversion)