GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

How's your GS in snow? (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-11, 06:34 PM
99 GS3
Lexus Champion

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

I was actually pretty impressed with the cars ability in the snow compared to cars I've had in the past.

That was before the motor swap and as an automatic. I don't think I will be attempting any snow driving in this car nowadays though.
Old 09-25-11, 06:48 PM
GeneC
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by oslouie
I haven't seen a winter tire that you can roll on year round. I was always told that winter tires are softer which makes them wear out and crack in the heat. I know mine started cracking on the sidewalls and eventually had to replace all four of them on my TL.
Oh, that's interesting I had no idea the material was just meant for the cold, thanks for the info.
Old 09-25-11, 07:03 PM
L3XOTIC
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've seen great Blizzak tires on many GS's here in Denver before. They ride well, handle great. Day/night difference having Blizzak vs non snow tire in the GS or any RWD
Old 09-25-11, 09:45 PM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

Nitto SN2 dedicated studless snow tire.
Old 09-25-11, 09:54 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 94 Likes on 76 Posts

RWD are not made for snow driving tbh. Look for an AWD, such as subaru.
Old 09-26-11, 03:18 PM
ddare
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Nokian Hakkapeliitta R
http://www.nokiantires.com/tyre?id=1...akkapeliitta+R

or

Bridgestone LM-60 (Performance Winter)
http://www.bridgestonetire.com/produ.../Blizzak_LM-60

or

Bridgestone WS-70
http://www.bridgestonetire.com/produ...d/Blizzak_WS70
Old 09-26-11, 05:49 PM
Red Bully
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get conti DWS never had a problem in the snow here and last winter was bad.
Old 09-26-11, 06:23 PM
MrG4Life
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If driving in the snow is a concern for you, your best bet is to use snow tires like the ones mentioned already. All season or performance tires are not gonna cut it. It also helps to put the car in snow mode. I'm going into my third winter with Blizzaks and have plenty tread left on all tires.
Old 09-26-11, 06:31 PM
NEbiker10
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

From Boston so we get our fair share of snow but what Is worst is we have the worst drivers...one inch and they all drive like bafoons.

Anyways I cant speak for the GS (havent had it in the winter yet) but Back in the days of my SC300 I had 4 blizzaks and they honestly sucked I slide like nobodys business. I ended up buying the next size up Firestone Winterforces from sears for like 56 each (sale) and that ***** ate the snow like a stoned fat kid a free buffet.

check out the forces
Old 09-26-11, 08:18 PM
Johnny Rad
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

All-season tires don't really excel at anything - summer tires are better in the dry and winter tires are better when it gets ugly outside. Too many trade-offs to be great at both ends of the weather spectrum.

I'm a slow learner and am on all-season tires because I don't want to swap tires and like their long lasting tread. During the first winter when the all-seasons were super new, they did a great job in the snow in comparison to my worn out summer tires. The car went from downright dangerous to generally OK. With less tread depth in subsequent winters, their capabilities were seriously diminished.

I put on studded snows last winter for the first time. What happened? Super light winter. Hardly any snow during weekday drive times. I can report that studded snows make a ton of noise and rumbled / shook the car like crazy at higher freeway speeds. I didn't like taking the car over ~70mph.

What am I doing this winter? Unlikely to mount the studded tires and will put a fresh set of all-seasons on the rear. Like I said, slow learner.

P.S. I learned that there's two levels of traction control alarm. The first one is the blinking light in the instrument cluster, like when you're spinning tires. The second is a beeping when you're out of control! When it beeps, I know I'm in trouble. The good news is that the factory traction control has saved my bacon on more than one occasion.
Old 09-26-11, 08:35 PM
L3XOTIC
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've had good experience with Blizzak but I'm in Denver where the show melts so quick it's not even funny. Lol. We have awesome winters usually.
Old 09-26-11, 08:47 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 130 Likes on 108 Posts

Do yourself a favor. Buy some good Blizzak snow tires and use the traction and stability control.... you will love your GS in the snow.
Old 09-27-11, 02:45 PM
PrLWhtGS3
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

i put blizzaks on last winter and loved it , im in nyc and drove everywhere every snow storm , drove thru 6-8in of snow with out any probs ...... put snow mode on took off VSC ....swear by them
Old 09-27-11, 03:00 PM
chi123
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

When I purchased my IS350, it came with Blizzak LM-25V's. They weren't new and the front had like 7/32 left and the rear had 5/32 left. I had lots of issues getting moving, especially here in Chicago where there are stop signs every block where I live. It took me like 10 seconds just to cross the tiny intersection. However, they did make a difference, my neighbor has an IS350 as well with stock tires which are summer I believe or all-season. He took 5 minutes to get out of a parking spot with an inch of snow while I had no issue at all.

Winter tires are softer in material and will wear faster driven in warm weather but I did so with mine. They sucked IMO and I thought I'd replace them with new winter tires this month to see if fresh winter tires would be better. I did drive with winter tires all summer long including 90+ degree days and the tires really never wore even 1/32. Blizzaks are one of the best winter tires. If you want to go year-round with the same tire, try Continental DWS tires. Otherwise, try cheaper winter tires. Nankang makes the SV-1 which is about $100 each and lots say it's good in the snow for the cheap price.
Old 09-27-11, 06:30 PM
GeneC
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 97-SC300
Do yourself a favor. Buy some good Blizzak snow tires and use the traction and stability control.... you will love your GS in the snow.
Thanks so much everyone!!! Very helpful! Question...I'm familiar with the traction control, not familiar with the stability control. How would I acess that? Thanks again

Quick Reply: How's your GS in snow? (merged threads)