GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

How's your GS in snow? (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-15, 07:46 AM
Darkness82
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I live in Des Moines Iowa. I just bought a Gs460.
I am researching the wheel and tire thing as well. I had winter rims and blizzaks on my Srt8 the last four years and it was a tank in snow.
Do people actually get around on just all seasons in these rwd Lexus cars?
Old 08-30-15, 11:08 AM
Lukas99GS
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

I'd get snow tires, I've had Bridgestone blizzaks with great success, huge difference in the snow, tread doesn't wear bad, they're a softer rubber so they tend to wear faster when the weather heats up, if you only have them on for 2-3 months a year, they'll last at least 4 winters. I just swap my tires, but having an extra set of wheels would be convenient, I often see stock Lexus rims for sale for cheap on Craigslist, could look there or just do what I do, also some all seasons are a lot better in snow than others, right now I have continental pure contacts, and actually had them on the first snowfall we had and they were surprisingly good, probably could've lived just fine with those but the blizzaks are better definitely.
Old 08-30-15, 12:18 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

Get snows, there's no comparison between them and all seasons. Here in Buffalo we get pounded by snow and my X-ices are the main reason I can even get out of the driveway. For you though, I'd probably get general altimaxs or hankook Ipikes. While far from the best, they are good value and have the same tread pattern as the nokain haklapalettas (different compound of course). Tires like Blizzaks are rated significantly better, but are very expensive and wear quickly, my ws60s barely got my through 2 seasons.
Old 08-30-15, 02:12 PM
Maikerusan
Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts

There is such a thing as an all season tire that combines regular tires with a winter type severe rating as well. You can use them year round. Not sure if they come in the size/rating you need, but I had such a pair on a previous car in Toronto--they were Nokian WRG3's

Here's what CR classifies it as: Summary: Nokian's all weather tire has a severe winter tire symbol, effectively competing with dedicated winter tires. It also has a 55,000 mile tread wear warranty in a V speed rating

Note-there are a few other tires that do the same thing, but not many
Old 08-31-15, 06:09 AM
mulasien
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm the guy that posted this thread. I had some Blizzaks on a second set of wheels I was able to acquire last year. If you get any snow at all (I believe Iowa qualifies) I would highly recommend going this route. You won't tense up every time there's snow in the forecast because you'll know you can get through it just fine. I was running circles around other people stuck in the snow when we did get snow last winter.

Last edited by mulasien; 08-31-15 at 07:10 AM.
Old 08-31-15, 07:08 AM
bloodMoney
Rookie

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

For the ease of it, every vehicle that I purchase gets a winter set of wheels/tires.

After my first year with some used snows, I'll never run another winter without them.
Old 09-13-16, 08:07 AM
DMPesso
Pole Position

Received 178 Likes on 149 Posts
Default snow tires on the gs430 or new car? NYC Snow!

Do you guys really think its worth it to have a set of snow tires just for the winter? I live in NYC and with my all season tires (conti DWS) the car still skids around if I am not very careful with the breaks. Even when the tires were brand new it didn't feel 100% safe but much better. You think the car would feel as safe as a FWD or AWD if I get the best snow tires possible? I never had a garage in my previous apartment so I couldn't even consider having an alternate set of wheels/tires for the snow but I rent an apartment with a garage now so I CAN keep my winter tires in there if needed. I have my first baby coming soon and I am starting to get worried the car won't be safe enough to drive with him every day in the snow. I need to make sure the car feels safe enough to where I can even trust my girl to drive alone with him in the snow without worrying. I am considering leasing a FWD/AWD car or SUV just to avoid this issue! I don't care for a new car or want to waste money since I already put so much into maintaining this GS. Any car I can afford to lease probably won't be as much fun to drive as my GS anyway. It would be a shame to get another car JUST for the snow! Let me know if you guys think a FWD or AWD car would be THAT MUCH better then my 430 with snow tires on it. Is it worth it? I would rather not waste money and keep my GS for as long as I can since it drives so well besides the random misfire and minor suspension issues. All opinions appreciated!!
Old 09-13-16, 08:15 AM
GregCanada
Advanced

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

Snow tires will make a massive difference. I don't drive without them anymore.

Remember an AWD or FWD with all seasons will stop and turn just like your GS. The only thing they do better is accelerate. Throw on some snows and you will notice a huge difference. All seasons in the snow is like driving slicks in the rain.
Old 09-13-16, 08:28 AM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm in winter country here in Western Canada and I've been running dedicated winters/rims for the past three years, going into my fourth winter this year. Where I am, I don't necessarily get a lot deep snow but it does get cold and there's a lot of snow/ice/slush to contend with.

I was lucky in that my previous owner had the winters/rims so that was included in the sale when I bought it. The GS430 is incredibly predictable and stable in the snow but it is in no way the ideal winter vehicle. Without the Toyo Garrits that I use, the car is nearly uncontrollable. It will easily hang its tail out at the slightest bit of throttle in a turn.

So the short answer is that an awd/fwd vehicle is going to be better - but if you have winter tires on that type of car it will be excellent. My advice would be to look at what you can afford and see if you want to spend the bucks on dedicated rim/tires just for winter, or if you would rather pay for a second car.

If you go the tire route on the GS get dedicated 16 inch rims/tires. That will give you the narrower tire to cut through snow and slush. My previous owner just went with the factory 17 inch wide rim/tire size and it does create issues at times.
Old 09-13-16, 08:37 AM
DMPesso
Pole Position

Thanks guys! I already have 16s, I'm just debating if it's worth buying another set of "remanufactured" wheels AND snow tires or just get the tires but then I would have to pay the shop each year to swap the tires, which might cost more in the long run! It's either keep the car and do this or get a lease on an Altima for under $200. But I feel like my car with winter tires would be better then a fwd Altima on whatever cheap tires they have on stock. I really want to lease a jeep Cherokee but I don't want to put myself in a hole for $400 a month plus higher insurance. What would you guys do if the choice was between leasing an Altima or keeping my car and adding snow tires? Obviously anyone would pick the jeep over the 430 so I'm not even going to ask that because that's a lot of monthly payments and a decision I would have to make.
Old 09-13-16, 08:39 AM
DMPesso
Pole Position

Oh yea and what snow tires would you think are the best? Bridgestone blizzak?
Old 09-13-16, 08:44 AM
DMPesso
Pole Position

one more thing, do you think aftermarket wheels (same size as OEM) are a better option then buying remanufactured stock 16" wheels? I have bad experience with non OEM wheels but do you think the quality is that much better on OEM wheels then similar aftermarket wheels?
Old 09-13-16, 09:01 AM
GregCanada
Advanced

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

Honestly i would search kijiji/craigslist for a good set of used OEM wheels, possibly already with snows on them.

I run blizzak WS80's, they are more oriented for bad conditions. Blizzak also come in LM32's which are snows but performance oriented and better when it's dry.

I've ran Michelin X-ice and i loved them as well.

If you were to buy an Altima or Cherokee, you really should get a set of snows for it as well. No matter what you drive, it should have snows. All seasons aren't made for anything more than light snow.

BTW i don't know why MattyG mentions that he would prefer 16's over 17's in snow. Rim size does not make a difference in traction, however, tread width does. A narrower tire will dig down where a fatter tire will sit up on the snow. I run 225's for the winter on mine, i wouldn't go narrower on such a big car.
Old 09-13-16, 09:02 AM
cdiiwu
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also live in western Canada as well and drove my car slammed all winter last year and had zero problems because I had WINTER TIRES. Theyre not just some marketing scheme, they actually work dude. As long as youre not a complete idiot/incompetent driver, you'll be okay. They snow mode helps out alot too.

This year im probably gonna pick up an old beater instead of driving the Aristo in the winter though. Mainly to keep the mileage down and keep it away from the salt.

And theres so many aftermarket wheels out there its hard to say what kind of quality they are. Personally, I would just get searching online and find a nice used set of rims to mount some winter tires on.

Old 09-13-16, 10:53 AM
DMPesso
Pole Position

Ok so since a new car won't be much better without snow tires I've decided to just get a set of used OEM wheels from my friend for $50 each. They are first gen wheels too so better quality then 2nd gen and I'm gonna get the blizzaks. That should do the trick. What's recommended to use when it's not snowing? Right now I have conti DWS all season, do I still need all season tires if I am just gonna use the blizzaks in the winter? Or should I get a good set of summer tires for everyday besides winter? Do I use the blizzaks in snow only or winter in general?

Quick Reply: How's your GS in snow? (merged threads)