GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

How's your GS in snow? (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-07, 03:30 PM
UncleRay
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I use Dunlop winter tires! 90% tread left on them since I bought the car in August. Drives beautiful ;]
Old 12-14-07, 05:03 PM
phillygs3

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i dont drive my car in the snow i use my company truck
Old 12-14-07, 05:14 PM
dRo15
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do any of you guys that drive your GS in the snow actually use snow chains? Wouldn't that help in the snow?
Old 12-14-07, 05:18 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

not sure about you guys, but your not allowed to use chains here, not even the plows use em
Old 12-14-07, 06:40 PM
Hardaway33
Rookie

My blizzaks have made all the difference. These tires are the only snow tires worth buying in my opinion. Without them I wouldn't even try to drive it. I just miss the confidence that I had in my FWD cars. I would drive like the snow wasn't even there! My 400 has made me a much more carful driver though!
Old 12-14-07, 06:47 PM
WoosterDRH
Driver School Candidate

I drive in snow a lot since I live in NE Ohio. I think Snow Mode makes a world of difference, though I do get nervous from time to time. I would give anything for a manual transmission in heavy snow. There's nothing like starting out in 2nd gear and goosing the throttle to get the car moving. So, with my GS4, I click it in Snow mode and try my hardest not to get sideways.

Here's another twist on the original question: Has anyone who learned to drive when I did, which was the mid 80's, ever gotten used to ABS brakes? I know the car can pump the brakes faster than I can, but I still find myself pumping them out of habit!
Old 12-14-07, 08:16 PM
newgsman
Instructor

Received 90 Likes on 61 Posts

This is my first winter with my '98 GS4 and I am still trying to get used to the VSC and snow mode features. Nevertheless I have to admit driving this car in the snow is a bit un-nerving. This is from a guy who has driven rear wheel cars for over twenty years here in the great white north (Ottawa Canada).

I bought the GS4 in July and it included a 2nd set of OEM 17" wheels with LM-25 Blizzaks. The Blizzaks have about 60% or more tread but they hardly resemble the snow performance I get out of my Pilot Alpin PA2's on my 92 Cressida. Over the past ten years driving my rear drive Cressida I have used Continentals, Arctic Alpins, Pilot Alpins, and Blizzaks. The Blizzaks on that car lasted only one season. They were good but they just didn't last. Not worth the money for $600 bucks at the time. I used the Continentals for about 3 seasons. They were good and could probably go for another season but I got a good deal on some Pilot Alpins. The PA2's are still pretty good after 2.5 seasons. The Cressida has never gotten stuck in snow and I believe this is partly because of the LSD rear end. I suspect if the GS 4 had an LSD it would fare better but I am thinking it would be more difficult to have LSD work with VSC. Before getting the Cressida, I had a rear drive Celica which would get stuck in the snow occasionly. That car had an open rear diff. Before entering the world of Toyota's I was a Mopar man. My old Darts, and Aspen's were all rear drive also. In those days (when I was quite a bit younger) you looked forward to a good run in the snow. Sometimes I put snows on those cars and sometimes I would go with all-seasons year-round. My mopar days are not entirely over as I still have my 74 Challenger which I have owned for almost 25 years. Fortunately, I have never driven that sucker in the snow, even with its Sure-Grip rear end. I am sure you guys can appreciate why it spends most of its time in the garage.

I have just ordered a set of 16" Goodyear GW3's from Tirerack through the Clublexus link (support our sponsors). I managed to find a set of used 1st generation GS OEM wheels. I am hoping to have better snow results with the smaller wheel/tire combination. I'll post my finding once the tires come in and I get them mounted.
Old 12-18-07, 09:44 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default snow driving

haha... this topic is funny to me... here is the deal, the real deal.

if you are a good driver in the snow, then this car is not bad. if you suck at driving in the snow then you will probably suck more at driving this heavy *** very torqy real wheel drive car in the snow. second, to all you guys with big *** rims (like myself) do your self a favor and put the stock ones back on with the big fat stock tires (with lots of tread hopefully) back on your car for the winter if you think you may have to drive in snow or ice. you can thank me later.

just make sure the vsc is on not off and if you are on non highway roads (like under 50 mph) then put it in snow mode.. this car is fine in a straight line in snow up to about 6 inches, any more then it starts to get all high centered or whatever they call it. turning with snow on the road is a whole other ball game... just think of it like drifting, and practice makes perfect... i think its fun sometimes to go out to a big "empty" parking lot covered with snow and ice and just practice doing controlled slides to get the feel of the vehicle loosing control so then when it happens in real life you will hopefully be able to react somewhat intelligently instead of just jerking the wheel the opposite direction and slamming on the brakes.

ice is a little harder to deal with and again practice makes perfect, but the good thing is that this car is pretty low and has a decent center of balance in my opinion so i think it would be better to drive this car on ice then lots of larger vehicles like big suv's or trucks...

i drove my gs400 in colorado for 2 winters and VA/MD last year which just had a few icy days.

~bbr
Old 12-18-07, 09:56 AM
lexluger71
Pole Position

now yall getting me scared, i am driving to nyc friday and i just noticed my tires do not say all season or m&s .
Old 12-18-07, 10:00 AM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by lexluger71
now yall getting me scared, i am driving to nyc friday and i just noticed my tires do not say all season or m&s .
We aren't expecting any bad weather this week. Gonna be in the 40's for the next two days and maybe a lil rain on Friday, you should be fine.
Old 12-18-07, 10:10 AM
johnno92
Driver School Candidate

I know that when using snow tires, you should ALWAYS use a full set of four. I was currently given two used Dunlop Graspic DS-2 tires (I believe size is 215/50QR17) that still have 80% of the tread left. I want to use them on my GS400, and want to add two more new snow tires. Should I get the same brand/type of snow tire, or is it OK to mix/match different tires on the front and rear? I plan on putting the brand new ones that I get on the rear wheels. Any suggestions?
Old 12-18-07, 03:04 PM
Faraaz23
Lexus Test Driver

Guys, if you live in the north and can get atleast 4+ inches of snow at a time... seriously consider some winter tires. The type of M+S all-season tires that we'd use on GS's are usually only rated for "light" snow. For example, my Pirelli PZero Nero M+S were basically the PZero summer tire with an extra groove for additional traction. However, they were only useful in upto 1-2 inches of snow max.

There is NO price you can put on your and your family's life. Tires are the only thing connecting you to the ground. Go with the safest option possible.
Old 12-18-07, 04:38 PM
MrG4Life
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by BmoreGS4
2 things just in case 100lb of Rock salt and Cardboard boxes lol...They saved my azz a couple times in my GS4, the weight in the trunk helps u grip and the cardboard helps u get out if u get stuck...I loved that car (still miss her actually) but I was scared 2 death 2 drive her in the snow...
I actually thought of the added extra weight in the trunk. I got three bags of those landscaping rocks which I figure is a good idea. It's the added piece of mind along with my new Blizzaks.
Old 12-18-07, 04:51 PM
Solo_D33A
Lexus Champion

Drove from Vancouver to Winnipeg, that's over 2000KMs, most of the BC part is covered in snow/ice/slush, Alberta and Saskatchewan is bare and dry, and Winnipeg's partly covered, it's all good, drove in Winnipeg, in small streets, no problem. not needing snow mode yet, since the road's mostly cleared, even the slushy is not really needing for snow mode unless you start from stand still... Blizzaks are very nice, mine's WS-60 studless ice and snow, it's very good, no trouble stopping, unless you are being a idiot... A bit of wobble when changing lanes with built up snow in between, but what car doesn't?
Old 12-18-07, 05:27 PM
dRo15
Lexus Test Driver

How exactly does the power/ECT/snow button work? If I put it in power what does it do or if I hold in Snow what does it do?

Last edited by dRo15; 12-18-07 at 05:32 PM.

Quick Reply: How's your GS in snow? (merged threads)