GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

How's your GS in snow? (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-07, 06:09 PM
Solo_D33A
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Snow from what I experience (I've only owned the car a few days) just holds back the throttle and gives you less power when you accelerate/shifts the throttle range back so when you normally half throttle, it'll give you the power of something like 1/4.

Power mode as I've heard from around the site, just gives you higher rpm shifts as opposed to normal... I don't need to use that yet as I'm on snow tires, I can't pass 170 (tire rated) and I can't launch (snow everywhere) thus I'm always on normal... unless it snows again(snowed some time ago here, but they don't melt), I might put in back in snow... after I get my car back from fixing. >_<
Old 12-18-07, 06:16 PM
Olu
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by sojah
i think its fun sometimes to go out to a big "empty" parking lot covered with snow and ice and just practice doing controlled slides to get the feel of the vehicle loosing control so then when it happens in real life you will hopefully be able to react somewhat intelligently instead of just jerking the wheel the opposite direction and slamming on the brakes.

ice is a little harder to deal with and again practice makes perfect, but the good thing is that this car is pretty low and has a decent center of balance in my opinion so i think it would be better to drive this car on ice then lots of larger vehicles like big suv's or trucks...

~bbr
I couldn't have said it better. I like driving in the snow. Practice in a big empty lot have fun, but also practice realistic maneuvers at realistic speeds. I've done this with every car I've owned. Especially with ABS and VSC. You maybe surprised what you'll learn . In my 20th AE Golf GTI, adding a little throttle when slipping actually kicked ASR in and would correct your slide.

I have a GS300 so don't have to deal with the monster torque of the GS4's. Snow tires are a must. 100lbs in the trunk helps. The more weight in your trunk, the better traction you'll get BUT the heavier the trunk the harder it will be to coax those wheels back if you start to fish tail.

Snow mode makes a huge difference. Allows for much smoother power delivery, cuts back horsepower, and doesn't allow downshifts easily.

Other pointers, momentum is your friend when starting and your enemy when turning/stopping. From a parking spot or a light, allow your creep to start you off, then easily apply throttle. When coming to a turn, minimize the amount you have to turn the wheel without ending up in the opposite lane.

Think ahead, slow down and anticipate what's coming. Unfortunately you HAVE to drive like an old lady with the GS in the snow. When those big SUVs go shooting by you, remember, they can start better then you, but with snow tires they can't turn or stop any better then you.
Old 12-18-07, 09:25 PM
dRo15
Lexus Test Driver

Just wondering if this is normal. When I put the power/ECT/snow toogle button in POWER it stays down but when I put it in SNOW it will just click. I don't use this button and only tried it when the car was off. I assume when you click it in snow, that a snow light/icon appears in the instrument panel letting you know that SNOW mode is active. Is that right? Oh well if I remeber when I drive I test it out.

I tried searching but maybe it's to short to search. So what does the VSC do?
Old 12-18-07, 09:30 PM
DarKnight
Lexus Champion

Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by dRo15
Just wondering if this is normal. When I put the power/ECT/snow toogle button in POWER it stays down but when I put it in SNOW it will just click. I don't use this button and only tried it when the car was off. I assume when you click it in snow, that a snow light/icon appears in the instrument panel letting you know that SNOW mode is active. Is that right? Oh well if I remeber when I drive I test it out.
When you put the car in Snow mode the button will not stay down like in Power mode but the light will turn on on the dash board to indicate that it has been activated.

I tried searching but maybe it's to short to search. So what does the VSC do?
The VSC basically controls wheelspin, it will completely stop your wheels if they're spinning too much. Sometimes you have to turn it off to get some wheelspin if you're stuck in snow.
Old 12-18-07, 09:46 PM
smuv gs3
Lead Lap

In my alley I got stuck twice so now I just turn off the vsc and unleash the beast , makes me feel like I got 500hp fishtailing and kicking up snow, my neighbor hates me for it but screw him !!!! LOL
Old 12-18-07, 09:48 PM
DarKnight
Lexus Champion

Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by smuv gs3
In my alley I got stuck twice so now I just turn off the vsc and unleash the beast , makes me feel like I got 500hp fishtailing and kicking up snow, my neighbor hates me for it but screw him !!!! LOL
Make sure you keep an eye on those RPM's.
Old 12-18-07, 09:59 PM
kit cat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Solo_D33A
Snow from what I experience (I've only owned the car a few days) just holds back the throttle and gives you less power when you accelerate/shifts the throttle range back so when you normally half throttle, it'll give you the power of something like 1/4.
It also seems like they make it so that power delivery is a lot more smoother. Snow mode is a lifesaver on the GS.

I just bought 75lbs worth of cat litter (figured it's better than buying sand since we have a cat ) and place it on top of the axle right behind the seat. seems to help .
The following users liked this post:
ceegee (01-18-20)
Old 12-19-07, 05:16 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i guess my sub, amp, and box helped with the added weight not to mention my 36 pack of water bottles from sams club... i figured i would just put water back there since i actually drink water and all.

on days when it was really bad i would just take my jeep grand cherokee into work.

~bbr
Old 12-19-07, 01:51 PM
fatboyq
Rookie

Mine is horrible even with light snow on the ground not frozen etc. the car will slip and slide everywhere, the vsc and snow are useless. VSC always goes on and actually hinders your driving. I park it in the winter. not worth it, I slid out like 2 times this year at 10mph speed. new dunlop d60 tires no weight in trunk.
Old 12-19-07, 06:16 PM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

What means "snow?"

Sorry I can't really help with this...

Here's what mid-December in California looks like:
The following users liked this post:
zNickMan (11-15-21)
Old 12-19-07, 06:21 PM
nate579
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SoCalSC4
What means "snow?"

Sorry I can't really help with this...

Here's what mid-December in California looks like:
LMAO....Snow or Earthquakes, trade off tough. Any mine stays in the Garage. During the winter months unless is a snow/salt free week.
Old 12-19-07, 06:27 PM
jj07
Driver School Candidate

How exactly does the power/ECT/snow button work? If I put it in power what does it do or if I hold in Snow what does it do?

Power is for more spirited driving as Lexus describes. It does help a bit Higher RPMS and more responsive engine.

Snow is simply nothing more then a "bypass of 1st gear" (less torque/wheel spin) You simply start in 2nd
Old 12-19-07, 07:17 PM
djspawn00
Lexus Test Driver

My GS can handle any snow... very slowly... but still i get around.... with a shovel in my trunk... but just incase...
Old 12-20-07, 04:53 AM
kit cat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by fatboyq
Mine is horrible even with light snow on the ground not frozen etc. the car will slip and slide everywhere, the vsc and snow are useless. VSC always goes on and actually hinders your driving. I park it in the winter. not worth it, I slid out like 2 times this year at 10mph speed. new dunlop d60 tires no weight in trunk.
Aren't they all season tires? If so, that's your problem.

Originally Posted by jj07
Power is for more spirited driving as Lexus describes. It does help a bit Higher RPMS and more responsive engine.

Snow is simply nothing more then a "bypass of 1st gear" (less torque/wheel spin) You simply start in 2nd
the power mode seems like it locks up the transmission more for a direct feel...never noticed if it shifts at higher rpms though. I just wish it was 100% lock up (even 2 through 5) like the IS-F with blipping for downshift.

And I tried flooring it in snow mode but it does something with your power delivery...it's not just starting in 2nd gear (I think).
Old 12-20-07, 05:05 AM
lexluger71
Pole Position

20 inch chrome rims can help out in the snow , than a light stock 17 inch rim

Quick Reply: How's your GS in snow? (merged threads)