GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)
View Poll Results: What should I do?
Pursue this w/ the full wrath of God and don't stop until Lexus buys my car back!!
50.00%
fugg it...
50.00%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

My GS stalled again!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-02, 06:49 PM
dru
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry My GS stalled again!!

Hi everyone,

I just found out from my sis that my GS stalled again!! She said she was driving on the freeway in sorta stop and go traffic and it just died. I know that the topic of GS's stalling has been discussed. While my car was still under warranty, I mentioned it to them twice (b/c it happened twice). After warranty, it happened again once more, and now this is the 4th time. My car only has about 52k on the clock. Each time, "uh, we checked and couldn't find a problem." I wonder what the exact requirements of the Lemon Law is? Is it attempted repair for 3 times or inability to locate the problems 3 times. Can't remember. Any chance I can get the dealer to buy my car back, and get a new GS or SC430 w/ the BLITZ TWIN SUPERCHARGER!!!! Well, please vote on my poll, thanks.

Last edited by dru; 01-24-02 at 06:52 PM.
Old 01-24-02, 08:00 PM
RacingAristo

Andrew,

What modification have you done that may affect the engine?
Old 01-24-02, 10:56 PM
trbopooh
Lead Lap

Hey dru,

I talked to a lexus tech friend of mine, and he said that it might be the injectors. He's only seen a few gs' with this problem. Try shifting your car to neutral. Take a look at the engine to see if your engine shakes a little.
Old 01-24-02, 11:22 PM
Kaban
Lead Lap

Originally posted by trbopooh
Hey dru,

I talked to a lexus tech friend of mine, and he said that it might be the injectors. He's only seen a few gs' with this problem. Try shifting your car to neutral. Take a look at the engine to see if your engine shakes a little.
What problems might make the car shake? While mine never stalls but it does have a slight viberation while in Park and Neutral. The vibration seems to be coming from the transmission under the shift ****, but everything runs normal. Btw my car is stock have around 7,000 miles maintained nicely and never abused.
Old 01-24-02, 11:30 PM
trbopooh
Lead Lap

Kaban,

My friend says that the problem is with faulty injectors from the factory.
My car has only stalled once since I got it, but reading posts about other member's cars dying more than a couple of times is a little troubling to me. My friend told me to try and use some injector cleaner if I ever noticed any shaking. If the problem persisted, then bring it into the dealer. Do our gs' have very sensitive injectors?
Old 01-25-02, 09:25 AM
dru
Driver

RacingAristo,

No engine mods!
Old 01-25-02, 10:00 AM
tmasta
Intermediate

i had the same problem with my GS.. it happend twice so far. I posted a while back and someone mentioned it could be a throttle position sensor problem. If it happends again i may have to go in and tell them that and see what they say.... supposedly its a known bug in the GS.. if u get more details please keep us informed.. id like to know for SURE why my car is stallin! THanks

T
Old 01-25-02, 06:20 PM
ceoart
Pole Position

Cool

Sounds like the computer for the Engine is going bad.
Old 01-26-02, 12:31 AM
itsallgood
Lead Lap

I had this problem when I first got my car, it was only 3 weeks old. as for what T has mentioned that could be your problem, (Throttle Postion Sensor) when it happened to me I went back to the dealership and they couldn't find the problem so off I went. A couple of weeks later it happened again, went back to the dealership, couldn't find the problem again. Because this island is small I called a couple of guys I play golf with and are friends with the general manager of lexus of Hawaii, I asked them to help me with my situation. When it happened for a third time I took my car in and they kept it for 3 days. I got a call from the service manager and told me what they have found. During there trouble shooting they couldn't duplicate the problem when the A/C was on, it only died out when the A/C was off. I asked them what's causing this, they said that the Throttle Position Sensor was bad. You see when the A/C is off the engine runs at a lower RPM, between 200 to 400 lower than when the A/C is on, so when stopping or slowing the cars idel drops to low and the engine dies out. But when the A/C is on the RPM's are higher and the Throttle Position Sensor has just enough time to reset in the correct setting. So the dealership changed the Throttle Position Sensor and no problems since. Next time this happens to take your car into the dealership and ask them to check the Throttle Positon Sensor.
Aloha
Old 01-26-02, 03:29 AM
biggie27
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am currently having my car fixed for that problem, mine has gotten really bad where it would stall at least 3 times a day and its been driving me nuts, I suggest that you persue this problem before it gets really bad like mine did, it started out as once in a while and the dealership told me that there is nothing wrong with it, but now that I have 90k miles on it, it happens all the time. My dealership were so kind as to warenty the problem since they know that I have been complaining about it way before my warrenty expired and before I had any modifications done to the car. They have tried a new computer without any success, they have also tried a new TPS without any success so next week were trying a whole new throttle body. The good thing about this is that Lexus paid for all parts all I have to pay for is labor and only when the car gets fixed and not for the labor they did for the ECU and the TPS. I can tell you this Lexus has earned a customer for life with this kind of service.

P.S. The problem that Im talking about is when the CHECK ENGINE, VSC, and VSC OFF lights come on