GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

warranty issues

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-07, 12:04 AM
bigguppy
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default warranty issues

hi guys. can you help me by telling me if these little mods will void my car warranty. i have try useing the search but some are talked about and many are'nt. thanks

-Ben-

1. changeing bulbs to H.I.D (fog and low beam) may likely includeing cutting
of the light houseing for fitmenship.
2.changeing the radio/AC bulb's color
3.aftermarket audio

-Maybe-

1. lowering the car include coilover or change of springs
2. tail (roof)
3. exhaust
4. wheels
5. front headlight houseing/back lights
6. wheels and breaks (say bigger disc)
7. bodykits or lip/add on
Old 12-16-07, 01:04 AM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

1. changeing bulbs to H.I.D (fog and low beam) may likely includeing cutting of the light houseing for fitmenship.
Possibly void warr if the HID shorts something out on your car. Highly unlikely.
2.changeing the radio/AC bulb's color
Most likely they won't even notice it's changed.
3.aftermarket audio
Yes, this will void the warr on your stock audio system since its no longer in the car lol. Shouldn't matter anyway since you have aftermarket. Now the installer messed up on wiring and something shorts out and causes other systems to short out...then that's not covered either.

-Maybe-

1. lowering the car include coilover or change of springs
Yes it will void your suspension warranty.
2. tail (roof)
It's fine no problems.
3. exhaust
No problem as long as the exhaust is catback. If you start messing with the cats and O2 sensors then that will void the warranty.
4. wheels
Nope doesn not matter.
5. front headlight houseing/back lights
If you're swapping to newer lights like 01+ green tint headlight and 01+ tails it will be fine. Most likely they won't even notice it.
6. wheels and breaks (say bigger disc)
As I said above wheels are fine and will not affect warranty. If you upgrade to a different set of brakes then it will void your brake warranty.
7. bodykits or lip/add on
Cosmetic mods are no problem.

Some dealers will hate on you big time if there is even a hint of your car being modded. My car is so modded that the dealer will no longer touch or service my car lol. They say it's a liability if they do anything on it. I'm ok with it either way because I do all of my own work...the dealer charges too much! They will try to say your wheels caused your headlights to short out and will make you believe it too. Well, don't take that crap. There are laws against that kind of BS. If the modified part does not directly affect another component in the car then they can't void the warranty on that.

For example if you have an upgraded suspension, they can't void your engine or electrical system warranty. Those have nothing to do with the suspension. If you put wheels on the car same thing...if it has nothing to do with another system in the car then they can't void the warranty on the other stuff. The dealer will try to deny and deny and deny until they're out of breath...usually you will run out before they do.

Last edited by JeffTsai; 12-16-07 at 01:09 AM.
Old 12-16-07, 07:25 AM
bigguppy
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

thanks for the reply. now this is makeing me reconcider alot of mods that i was concidering lol