GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Help!!! My Tom's STB didn't fit my GS430

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-02, 05:40 PM
ChuH
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Angry Help!!! My Tom's STB didn't fit my GS430

Earlier this week I was excited to receive my Tom's STB that I purchase from Steve Ganz. I didn't like the wine red Tom's STB so I paint it glossy black engine paint. This morning I had the Lexus technician remove the TRD STB (currently installed without engine cover) to install the Tom's STB with engine cover. To my surprise and also the Lexus technicians the Tom's STB did not clear the engine cover. In fact the Tom's STB had less clearance than the TRD. Called Steve Ganz and he did not have any Tom's STB in stock to check on it until Feb. 8th nor does he know why it didn't fit. He told me that he had test fit it on RacingAristo. Is there a different specs for GS430??? I ask the Lexus technician and they are all puzzle. I know there are some GS430 owners with Tom's STB installed. Therefore I would appreciate if you could look at the attach pictures and see if they look like yours.

With the engine cover and the STB flush at the passenger side the driver side will be raise about 1-1.5" above the strut tower. I have also included picture comparing with the TRD.

What a disappointment

Chu....
Attached Thumbnails Help!!! My Tom's STB didn't fit my GS430-jan26_02b.jpg  
Old 01-25-02, 05:43 PM
ChuH
Instructor

Default Driver side

This is on driver side strut tower
Attached Thumbnails Help!!! My Tom's STB didn't fit my GS430-jan26_03b.jpg  
Old 01-25-02, 05:45 PM
ChuH
Instructor

Default TRD vs. Tom's

This is a comparison between the TRD and Tom's
Attached Thumbnails Help!!! My Tom's STB didn't fit my GS430-jan26_01b.jpg  
Old 01-25-02, 05:46 PM
Kajukenbo
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Chu,

I am sorry to hear the misfortune. I was getting kind of excited too about the TOM's STB. I am pretty sure that Steve will take care the problem for you.

I guess we all just have to wait and see what's need to be done.....

Sorry......
Old 01-25-02, 05:49 PM
ChuH
Instructor

Kajukenbo:

Do you have your Tom's STB installed or are you waiting for the next shipment on Feb. 8th?

Chu...
Old 01-25-02, 06:01 PM
Kajukenbo
Lead Lap

Waiting....but not quite sure if I want it anymore since you are having problem already with them........

I am really sorry to hear about your problem.

Chu,

Just hold on to the bar, and wait for Steve's response once he checks the product out. I am pretty sure he will take care of you. Too bad that you are not in So Cali with us.... we would take you out to some good chinese food and share your misfortune........

Let us know what come out of it.....
Old 01-25-02, 06:17 PM
ChuH
Instructor

I hope Steve will. I bought all my mods from him (except for rims and tires). I think someone at Tom's may have mess up on the construction or miss pack the STB and label it for the GS3/400. I wonder if they make STB for other Lexus models??? When I personally pickup my TRD LCB and STB at Carson Toyota from Steve last Sept. 2001 he actually made a mistake and given me a IS300 LCB. The day before I was to fly out of LA I notice the mistake and had to exchange it with Steve.

Steve is a great guy but I guess I will just have to wait and see.

Kajukenbo, thanks for the offer for chinese food... I will keep you posted on the out come. Feb 8th..... or so.

Just one note. The TOM's STB is alot heavier than the TRD STB. Probably stronger also.

Chu...
Old 01-25-02, 07:28 PM
0260n5.7
Lexus Tuner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Chu,

Sorry to hear about the problem with the STB. I've been meaning to call you, but damn work got in the way. Sometimes 4 day work weeks are worse then 5. I'll call you this week so we can meet. If the Toms eventually works for you what are you going to do with your TRD? Let me know. I might be interested if it can fit the 400.

Thanks,

MAC
Old 01-26-02, 08:09 AM
LexusRules
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

it can
Old 01-27-02, 11:57 PM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Why not just take off the useless engine cover? I mean seriously, how often do you open your hood up to look at the engine or to "show it off"?
Old 01-28-02, 12:25 AM
ChuH
Instructor

Cool

Manaray:

I know... I know... I already have the TRD STB without the engine cover. But when Steve Ganz informed me that the TOM's STB clears the engine cover I was more than happy to change. The GS430 engine compartment with a STB with a engine cover would look a bit more refine when ordinary people look at it. Of course it will be very rare occurance. It also will be easier to sell (looking to sell when 2004 GS is release) a car that looks as if the parts belong there than a modified look. I can easily say the car is a sport package from Lexus rather than I replace with aftermarket parts. There are buyers that don't like the word AFTERMARKET. When I sold my 95 SC400 I had buyers wanting my modified SC400 to be as stock as possible. They didn't care for the aftermarket parts.

Chu....

Last edited by ChuH; 01-28-02 at 12:45 AM.
Old 01-28-02, 09:19 PM
salimshah

Received 1,047 Likes on 945 Posts

The picture shows the angle of the flange to be different. Maybe you got the wrong part.

Salim
Old 01-28-02, 09:31 PM
ChuH
Instructor

Cool

Salim:

My thought exactly regarding the wrong part. What is interesting is that the Tom's STB will fit without the engine cover. But the clearance was even less than the existing TRD STB without the engine cover. Could it be that this STB is actually for a another Lexus model (ie. GS300/400 or IS300)? This morning I received a email from 'THE MAN' Steve Ganz to have the part sent back to him for a full refund. I inform him that I will see if any Guam GS3/400 owners will be interested in purchase this particular Tom's STB first.

Chu...

ps. Still looking for a STB that will fit a GS430 with engine cover on
Old 01-29-02, 12:10 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Chu, when you go to sell the car, take the STB off, sell it here, make some money on it, put the engine cover back on, sell the car. It's easy.

Don't tell the buyer that it's a "sport package" because what if they ask their local dealership and the dealership says "BS!"...then you don't look like an honest seller...
Old 02-05-02, 06:19 PM
lex430
Lead Lap

so, what's the verdict? was it a wrong part? or just simply won't fit with the engine cover on?

thanks,

Quick Reply: Help!!! My Tom's STB didn't fit my GS430