GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Nakamici or pioneer Radio?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-07, 10:53 PM
pitmanr200
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nakamici or pioneer Radio?

How can you tell by looking at radio weither its nakamichi or pioneer? and what are the benefits of the nakamichi, or differences?
Old 12-19-07, 10:59 PM
bigguppy
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if its Nakamici thier brand would be printed above the voulme control. and the different would be in sound quallity. Nakamici is a higher end for audio.
Old 12-19-07, 11:36 PM
pitmanr200
Lead Lap

i see now. the nakamici has one turn *** and pioneer has 2. the buttons are a little different as well. Is the nakamici really worth holding out for if your buying a new gs4?
Old 12-20-07, 01:32 AM
Caoboy
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No, the navigation is worth holding out for.
Old 12-20-07, 04:29 AM
excluesive
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

what caoboy said
Old 12-20-07, 05:21 AM
kit cat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bigguppy
Nakamici is a higher end for audio.
It's Nakamichi...but anyway, the OEM audio isn't that great.
Old 12-20-07, 09:39 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

i have put together a few expensive stereos in a few cars, usually priced on average between 2-6 grand. All I have now in my gs4 is the nakamichi setup with a jl12w6 and 500.1 jl amp (tuned properly, finally...) and the sound is awesome. the amp and sub + box combo costed me about 1100$ with install and amp wiring kit but the overall sound quality is in my opinion about that of a $3500 dollar setup. The jl12w6 in its box from jl actually fits perfectly mounted right up behind the seat up on that little platform thing in the trunk. i still have access to my whole trunk other than that back upper part and i just pulled the stock 10" out of the rear deck leaving the cover and the sound quality is very nice. i got the idea from a vip car mag in j-pan and just like the featured car had i have my jl amp mounted on the far right side of the trunk wall, its very clean and not to crazy bassy and if you still want your trunk space and the clean look i would recommend something like this...
i also have the remote bass **** mounted inside my ash tray... so when i close the ash tray it doesn't look like anything after market at all has been installed...

have you guys found any other setups that sound great, look clean, still offer some trunk space, and don't cost millions of dollars??? let me know...

~bbr
Old 12-20-07, 11:24 AM
NBart
Pole Position

Originally Posted by pitmanr200
How can you tell by looking at radio weither its nakamichi or pioneer? and what are the benefits of the nakamichi, or differences?
Nakamichi had a higher wattage count with lower distortion. I was not aware that there was a buttons difference between the two.
Old 12-20-07, 01:05 PM
Chin
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Pics????????
Originally Posted by sojah
i have put together a few expensive stereos in a few cars, usually priced on average between 2-6 grand. All I have now in my gs4 is the nakamichi setup with a jl12w6 and 500.1 jl amp (tuned properly, finally...) and the sound is awesome. the amp and sub + box combo costed me about 1100$ with install and amp wiring kit but the overall sound quality is in my opinion about that of a $3500 dollar setup. The jl12w6 in its box from jl actually fits perfectly mounted right up behind the seat up on that little platform thing in the trunk. i still have access to my whole trunk other than that back upper part and i just pulled the stock 10" out of the rear deck leaving the cover and the sound quality is very nice. i got the idea from a vip car mag in j-pan and just like the featured car had i have my jl amp mounted on the far right side of the trunk wall, its very clean and not to crazy bassy and if you still want your trunk space and the clean look i would recommend something like this...
i also have the remote bass **** mounted inside my ash tray... so when i close the ash tray it doesn't look like anything after market at all has been installed...

have you guys found any other setups that sound great, look clean, still offer some trunk space, and don't cost millions of dollars??? let me know...

~bbr
Old 12-20-07, 05:03 PM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by NBart
Nakamichi had a higher wattage count with lower distortion. I was not aware that there was a buttons difference between the two.

Yes, the Nak system has a different head unit plus an amplifier in the trunk.
For what it is, it sounds pretty darned good. I ripped mine out of course and
installed a Pioneer AVIC-D1 (Double-Din Nav unit) and Boston amps and
separates.

For non-audiophiles, the Nakamichi is quite satisfactory. Honestly, if it
weren't due to my ties with Boston I probably would have left the Nak
system alone!
Old 12-20-07, 05:14 PM
GSkid
Driver School Candidate

hey i was thinking about getting the pioneer DEH-4900 with the filler kit, along with either JLW6's or a P3, is this a good idea, or should i just go the the sub and speakers,(and amp)? but one of the reasons is because i want to be ablse to play my ipod. (the sub control in the ash tray is a cool idea, i think i will do that!)
Old 12-20-07, 05:29 PM
augdogg
Lead Lap

With the exception of not having navi, the Nak system has been the best i've ever had, and i've had a few.
Old 12-20-07, 08:03 PM
cobra2top
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by augdogg
With the exception of not having navi, the Nak system has been the best i've ever had, and i've had a few.
Me too....I really like the Nak in mine. Very impressed even now that it is 10 years old.
Old 12-21-07, 05:00 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

i don't have many pics of this lexus yet, i wish i did honestly but i have been so busy lately and i usually don't carry a camera around with me. i will try to make an effort over my 4 day weekend this weekend or my 4 day weekend next weekend to take a few.

there are a few pics of some of my old setups in that link in my sig block. my last car which was a nissan gloria in/from japan had about 6G's in the stereo they wouldn't let me bring it to the states so i basically had to start over with even less funds. i should have pulled everything off of that car and shipped it over separately and done a custom setup but they didn't even make the stateside equivalent, the Infiniti M in the states until like what 03 or 04'. so i sold that car as is for like 4 or 4,500 my last day in japan just to get something for it. i still miss that car and although my gs is slowly coming up to speed its still not yet on that cars VIP level.

don't you guys just love wasting money on your cars???

~bbr
Old 12-21-07, 05:32 AM
RI-Lex
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I wished my car had the nakamichi system

Quick Reply: Nakamici or pioneer Radio?