GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Two cracked rims.... not even two weeks i had them!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-07, 08:05 AM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by cpone
I have ruffs and have beat the crap out them really bad.
I bent one on the inside after hitting a major hole on the TP at like 105 and its STILL kicking.

Sorry about your wheels.
Its all about the angle I guess.
Yeah, I agree the Ruffs are no worse than any other brand. There are more Ruffs on the road here in south florida than any other wheel and I see no problems from them.
Any wheel can be damaged from potholes if struck the right way.
Old 12-21-07, 08:06 AM
racinstyle
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 1 Post

They are RUFF wheels, what did you expect?
Old 12-21-07, 08:15 AM
LEXUS_KID
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 12-21-07, 08:30 AM
Nosexnolex
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bureau of Risk Management

Ok, so I called all over NJ to get the right department and ended up in

Bureau of Risk Management
609 292 4347

They will email me a form to fill out, of when, where, it happened. And I need to state my damages. Let the games begin!

Maybe we can make this a sticky and start to build a data base for this sort of things?
Old 12-21-07, 08:48 AM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by sleeper408
36 psi warm seems a bit low for those profile tires. I ran 40 psi cold on my 20" Falkens and hit a few potholes with no damage.
4 psi isn't enough pressure difference to matter in an impact situation like this.

You guys running 40+ psi are nuts; all it does is make the car ride like @ss.

I run 36 psi front/rear on my 20s, and the only reason I do that is to "crown" the tire tread a little to reduce inner tread wear due to camber. Any higher than 40 psi and the car begins to feel nervous and 'skittery' to me.

If you pump the tires up hard enough these impacts will just damage the tire sidewalls, so it's six of one, half dozen of the other. Either damage the wheel or damage the tire, your choice. On a low-end cast wheel, often it's cheaper to replace the wheel than it is to replace the tire anyway.

To the OP, hope you get this all squared-away. I tried to file a claim against CalTrans one time, it was a dead-end. Be prepared for bureaucratic road blocks and dead-ends...
Old 12-21-07, 08:59 AM
TRD911
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Caoboy
How do you know they aren't about to fix the hole eh?

No one said you were speeding. What I meant by slow down was to be more aware of the road. Slowing down, doesn't mean speeding, or not speeding rather, but more defensive driving.

Solution? Get new rims and swap the tires on to them, and then just watch for pot holes next time.

Sorry to hear, but sometimes it is better to cut your losses than trying to get the city to pay for it. Karma comes back in the worst ways...Pot holes happen all the time, and are everywhere, you can't expect the city to pour all the tax money into fixing all of them so you can drive comfortably without having to watch for pot holes.

Just be glad they don't have tolls all over the place. At least if they did, the roads would/better be smooth as glass.

It is the governments job to keep up with maintenance on all our roadways. Do you think the Germany has pot holes on the Autobahn? That would be bad. The government should spend more time on our valuable roadways to keep them up. .. the payback might be folks spending a bit more on their cars or trading them in more often because they know the roads are not going to destroy their new car.

This is the City's responsibility to maintain the roads in a manner that is consistent with what car manufactures expect for them to be maintained. I am sure your rims where DOT certified. Cheap or not they have to meet certain standards,

BP
Old 12-21-07, 09:23 AM
Caoboy
Lexus Champion

Yeah it's the Gov'ts job to do a lot of things, not just make sure that all the pot holes in the roads are fixed for you to drive around safely.

It's ok, people keep crying about their cars being wrecked by potholes, and then the taxes will raise, because the city has to pay for all these damages to peoples rims and tires.

Then people will cry about taxes being raised. Then what eh? I'm sure that's why some people get paid off and others are told too bad. It's not like there is a pothole fund that everybody can dip into..
Old 12-21-07, 05:24 PM
MrG4Life
Lexus Champion

I don't really think you should go after the city trying to fix your rims. YOU ran over the pot hole, it's not like it jumped out in front of you. You should learn the roads you drive. It's a risk you take when modifying your car.

Putting the blame on someone else isn't right when it's technically your fault for running over the pot hole.

Just another reason why slowing down, and keeping the road open in front of you is important when running big wheels.
I'm guessing where u primarily drive the roads are in pretty decent shape. I was in NY twice in the last three weeks and there are many times where you can't swerve or slow down to avoid a big pothole or sinkhole. Last week my brother-in law bent his rim a bit and blew a tire. I was heated when I hit a big a** pothole myself thinking that I too blew my tire.

What if your from out of town and don't know the roads and it's conditions? I try as much as I can to extend the life of the parts that make up my suspension but that instance when I hit that hole, I couldn't shift a little to the next lane because a car was next to me to do so. But hey!!!
Old 12-21-07, 09:08 PM
Caoboy
Lexus Champion

Not really, I drive around places here where the roads haven't been fixed in a LONG time (poorer part of town, apparently they don't care about the roads) When I come to a road that I don't know, I slow it down a bit, and even though I'm not driving fast, I am still VERY cautious and watch out for harsh dips/potholes all around. It's not slowing down to impede traffic, but merely to the speed limit. It has saved me quite a few times by being able to watch the road more closely, rather than just taking the hit. It's all about defensive driving. If you don't know the road, then take it easy, might help to avoid this again.

Also, I don't know of what tire size you were running, did you post it up? That has a factor too, I had a buddy who kept bending his rims and or popping tires because he was running a 30 series tire. Upped it to a 35, and has never had this problem since. If you are running 19's, you could easily stay in oem tire spec and sitll have plenty of side wall. I'm running 235/35/19 all around.
Old 12-22-07, 07:12 AM
PlatanoTLS
Lead Lap

There are some cases if you take pics before they fix them and try and cover themselves up you can be reimbursed ..
Old 12-22-07, 03:32 PM
99Arist0
Driver School Candidate

one of my friends hit a big pot hole with his supra and bent 2 wheels they where 19in blitz tecnospeeds and the town paid him in full im not sure of everything he did to get them to pay but i know he bought a news paper (to show the date )put it next to the pot hole and took a picture and gave them a receipt from when he bought his wheels
Old 12-22-07, 04:02 PM
Nosexnolex
Pole Position

Yeah it's the Gov'ts job to do a lot of things, not just make sure that all the pot holes in the roads are fixed for you to drive around safely.

It's ok, people keep crying about their cars being wrecked by potholes, and then the taxes will raise, because the city has to pay for all these damages to peoples rims and tires.

Then people will cry about taxes being raised. Then what eh? I'm sure that's why some people get paid off and others are told too bad. It's not like there is a pothole fund that everybody can dip into..
I bet if I were to ask you where the money come from to pay for the road you would say taxes! but what type of tax I want to ask you, do you know?.......................................................................................
not trying to offend you but you really have no idea of what the function of our government is! the money that go towards fixing the roads are from your and mine fuel tax, yes we pay every time we get fuel at the pump! with your understanding it is ok to pay for a service only to not recive it. How would you like for example to pay me to advertise you business and your ad is nowhere to be found? I'm sorry but your kind of talk pisses me off!

carry on now...
Old 12-22-07, 04:06 PM
LexFather

Having had stock wheels, knock-off wheels, decent JDM wheels and now BBS wheels it is obvious and clear to me to always get a top brand wheel from a top rated company.

I bent my knock-offs in a couple months, my JDM wheels chipped and bent as well, the BBS wheels take a licking and no issues whatsoever.....

That is why as I have gotten older, if the company has not proven itself over time or is not used by guys that track/race/FI, I can't recommend it unless you just drive it to shows and back home.
Old 12-22-07, 04:34 PM
GSXLEX
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Perhaps its all in the angle..I hit a nasty pothole @ around 70mph on rt 287 in NJ..Felt it all the way up to my ribcage and just knew the rim was bent and was scared to even look..Blew out a Bilstein but guess waht??,Not even a nick on my rim!!Check my sig as I proudly display my Ruff Racing wheels..Now I avoid NJ potholes by taking the money I saved on more expensive wheels and moved to Florida..
Old 12-23-07, 12:31 AM
VipDout
19x11.5 -51

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GSXLEX
Perhaps its all in the angle..I hit a nasty pothole @ around 70mph on rt 287 in NJ..Felt it all the way up to my ribcage and just knew the rim was bent and was scared to even look..Blew out a Bilstein but guess waht??,Not even a nick on my rim!!Check my sig as I proudly display my Ruff Racing wheels..Now I avoid NJ potholes by taking the money I saved on more expensive wheels and moved to Florida..
haha thats funny ... But No way you saved that much

Quick Reply: Two cracked rims.... not even two weeks i had them!!!