GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

My GS3 Update !!!CARBON Butt Lift!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-07, 06:15 PM
carbongs
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default My GS3 Update !!!CARBON Butt Lift!!!

As many of you know my car has undergone many changes for the upcoming 08 show season. Here are some sneak peaks of the work that is going on. Look for a final update at the World of Wheels show in Atlanta January 3rd-6th. The car will be done next Friday and will undergo extensive detailing for the show. Just to tell you what is happening in these pics:

1. Carbon fiber wrapping the UGO Roof spoiler
2. Carbon fiber wrapping the Junction Produce Replica rear spoiler. The two side pieces will be color matched to the body to achieve my two tone carbon look.
3. Trunk will be wrapped in carbon as well. I am not deleting the inner tails. You'll see why.

Thanks guys, and yes the trunk is getting done in carbon as well. Look for the roof to be done as well upcoming later on this year.

-Tony
Old 12-22-07, 06:20 PM
G O A T
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so far so good....can't wait to see it done
Old 12-22-07, 06:23 PM
carbongs
Lexus Champion

Thanks GOAT me either. These are all progress pics that I am getting from Gene at the shop as the progress continues I will have more pics to add.
Old 12-22-07, 09:25 PM
bluelex
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

So your going to overlay you factory trunk in CF? They don't sell real CF trunks for the GS? Is the pattern or weave going to match the weave from your hood?. Most times not all weaves are going in the same direction or match up when made by different companies. Sorry to ask so many Q's. My honest opinion is you should just CF wrap the whole spoiler, doing just the center section but not the side peices of the spoiler might look weird and intterupt the flow of the spoiler...Good luck with the project.
Old 12-22-07, 09:47 PM
Stage3
Lexus Fanatic

That looks HOT! Just to be clear, there is going to be a layer of CF on top of the sheet metal, right? I've been wondering about CF on the roof as well as one of my "after graduation" mods. I was thinking more along the lines of removing the sheet metal and reinforcing it with fiberglass like they do on the newer M series cars. Either way, i can't wait to see it... make sure you take TONS of photos and share said photos with us on the laying of the CF on the roof... I'm dying to see it done!
Old 12-22-07, 09:57 PM
carbongs
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bluelex
So your going to overlay you factory trunk in CF? They don't sell real CF trunks for the GS? Is the pattern or weave going to match the weave from your hood?. Most times not all weaves are going in the same direction or match up when made by different companies. Sorry to ask so many Q's. My honest opinion is you should just CF wrap the whole spoiler, doing just the center section but not the side peices of the spoiler might look weird and intterupt the flow of the spoiler...Good luck with the project.
thanks A! I wouldn't expect better questions from anyone but you! yeah, they have pre fabricated carbon trunks for 1st and 3rd gen gs-es. for some reason the only one i've seen for the 2nd gen is the trd and that deletes the rear inner tails. I am trying to be different and unique and I know it won't be everyone's cup of tea. but i've always wanted to see a two tone carbon gs. we'll see how it turns out. the idea is two tone the top on the car and fade in from the sides later on. i can see what u mean with spoiler though. I hope it turns out as I had envisioned it. thanks again A!
Old 12-22-07, 10:07 PM
carbongs
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Stage3
That looks HOT! Just to be clear, there is going to be a layer of CF on top of the sheet metal, right? I've been wondering about CF on the roof as well as one of my "after graduation" mods. I was thinking more along the lines of removing the sheet metal and reinforcing it with fiberglass like they do on the newer M series cars. Either way, i can't wait to see it... make sure you take TONS of photos and share said photos with us on the laying of the CF on the roof... I'm dying to see it done!
sure, I will keep all my brothers and sisters here at CL updated. will be a while till I get the roof done. it is more involved and expensive than simple wraps. the front and rear windshields, roof mouldings, sunroof etc... have to be removed for proper sanding. got a quote of $1,200 for just the roof. and that is just a wrap not a cut and reinforced fiber job.
Old 12-22-07, 10:13 PM
bluelex
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by carbongs
thanks A! I wouldn't expect better questions from anyone but you! yeah, they have pre fabricated carbon trunks for 1st and 3rd gen gs-es. for some reason the only one i've seen for the 2nd gen is the trd and that deletes the rear inner tails. I am trying to be different and unique and I know it won't be everyone's cup of tea. but i've always wanted to see a two tone carbon gs. we'll see how it turns out. the idea is two tone the top on the car and fade in from the sides later on. i can see what u mean with spoiler though. I hope it turns out as I had envisioned it. thanks again A!

Ya I'm with you gotta have the quad tails...I think what your over plan/scheme is going to look Very Very good once you do the roof. The biggest problem with CF is getting all the weaves in different areas to match up if they are made by different companies, but in your case your doing the spoiler,trunk, and roof from the same material and done at the same place so I sure they will make sure of that before they lay it on, if not you make sure it al lines up with your hood and goes in the same direction before its laid on.. I know its little details that most people overlook but your building up a car that will be judged by many people in and out of the show scene. The big mods are always hot but its the little details that really make a car. RMMGS4 is the perfect example of every detail being thought out. Looking forward to seeing the outcome...
Old 12-22-07, 10:32 PM
carbongs
Lexus Champion

thanks adrian! great advice from one of the best competitors out there. thanks man! I really appreciate it!
Old 12-22-07, 10:53 PM
chiamx
Driver

nice. cant wait for the end result.
Old 12-22-07, 11:26 PM
Seize
Loves Snickerdoodles!

Received 68 Likes on 53 Posts

Cant' wait to see the finished product! It's going to look awesome
Old 12-23-07, 05:52 AM
carbongs
Lexus Champion

thanks seize
Old 12-23-07, 10:05 AM
PWidow
Pole Position

Looking good Tony!!
Old 12-23-07, 10:10 AM
MrExecutiv
Lexus Champion

looking nice man.
Old 12-23-07, 10:32 AM
BigGene
Driver

I am looking forward to see your car finished! Its looking great!

Quick Reply: My GS3 Update !!!CARBON Butt Lift!!!