GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Help failed CA smog test due to Functional check.

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-07, 07:27 PM
Ms lexo
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Help failed CA smog test due to Functional check.

I recently had my CEL turn on I had the scanner run and it said to change my O2 sensors. I did this yet it was still on I took it for a diagnostic and they told me it was my MAF so I recently changed that and my Pos battery terminal. I changed the terminal just for my own reason as it was not making a good connection. After I changed my MAF they VSC and VSC OFF remained on. I disconnected the Battery and all of the lights were gone. So I figured no problem I drove it on the Freeway and took it for the smog check. Sure enough it failed. It passed the Visual inspection and the Emissions Test. The cat passed the O2 Sensors passed everything except malfunction indicator light. The Smog check place told me to drive around more or to have it Reset.
Yet i just turned it on and now the VSC and VSC Off are on and they CEl blinks. Can someone help. I need to register my car.
Old 12-22-07, 07:32 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Where in cali are you? If you're close enough, I can get the code scanned for you to make sure exactly what's going on with your vehicle.
Old 12-22-07, 07:35 PM
carbongs
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

yeah get the code scanned. don't know if you have autozone or advanced auto parts stores in your area but here they scan your obdII for free and give you a list of possibilities. narrow it down and take care of the issues one by one. i had similar issues with my car when i first got it as well. good luck
Old 12-22-07, 07:53 PM
Ms lexo
Driver School Candidate

I did that but it only read my O2 sensors never my MAF. I changed the MAF because it was stalling out on me. It would take it awhile to change to second gear. I disconnect the MAF and they VSC and VSC OFF came on. I changed and the car drove fine but now this problem. I have GS430 01. I live in Los Angeles Area. I 'll try the scanner again though. The sad thing is I got a ticket infront of my house for expired tags. Darn....
Old 12-22-07, 07:57 PM
ElitistK
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1. get the code.
2. search on google
3. the MAF could just be dirty. If you're using a new MAF then it might be a short issue.

I cleaned my throttle body and VSC and VSC off lights both turned on. I disconnected and reconnected everything and left the battery terminal off for an hour and did the trick.
Old 12-22-07, 08:06 PM
justfixit
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

If CEL is blinking that means there is a malfunction that could cause damage to catalytic converters. Blinking CEL usually are caused by extreme rich conditions or misfire conditions. Have you recently cleaned engine compartment or exposed spark plugs to water?
Old 12-22-07, 09:39 PM
GS FONZy
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You should not drive the vehicle if your engine light is blinking. Get it checked out ASAP. I don't think is a running rich problem because the smog shop would have picked that up.
Old 12-23-07, 03:55 PM
sleeper408

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

You need an OBDII scanner to clear the codes. Then you need to drive around for a week or so for all the sensors to reset. This happened to me with my Cobra. I barely failed with an aftermarket X-pipe so I bought a stock one. Everything should have been fine right then and there. I took it in the next day and I failed the Functional part because all my sensors had not reset yet. I drove around for another week and took it back and then it was fine.
Old 12-23-07, 05:22 PM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

Hey, just wondering do you have an aftermarket intake on your car? Sounds like you're having the exact same symptoms as me when I had a piece of crap intake on mine. Car would keep stalling, CEL would blink, car would run crappy...etc.
Old 12-23-07, 05:27 PM
Rollin'ES3
Lexus Test Driver

I know ppl who can pass your car regardless. They charge a little extra though.
Old 12-23-07, 06:59 PM
ElitistK
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JeffTsai
Hey, just wondering do you have an aftermarket intake on your car? Sounds like you're having the exact same symptoms as me when I had a piece of crap intake on mine. Car would keep stalling, CEL would blink, car would run crappy...etc.
such as any intake without an ecu add-on (aem, injen, home-made, etc..). I bought an aem intake to use the pre-welded maf sensor bung for my na-t, but i put it on my car with the cone filter before I put everything in it. Not only it threw a check engine light, but my car started to bog everywhere. I had no choice but to take off the intake.
Old 12-26-07, 09:42 PM
TonY_G
Driver

isn't there a solution you can put in there to make the car pass emissions?

i keep hearing about them...
Old 12-27-07, 12:51 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Perhaps you can pull the bulb in the instrumental cluster so it doesn't light up
Old 12-30-07, 03:41 PM
Ms lexo
Driver School Candidate

well the light isn't blinking now just all of them stay on. The car runs fine I ran a scanner on it and no codes came up I ran the MIL and it said the light should be turned off when the car is on. Somebody please ya I knew someone who would pass it for 180. If I can just take the lights off it would be so simple. How to take these VSC VSC off and check engine light off...I'm gonna try cleaning my throttle as someone suggested. Can any one walk me through that I"m not a car genius...
Old 12-30-07, 03:56 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Is your ABS light on too?

Quick Reply: Help failed CA smog test due to Functional check.