GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

How do you prevent door dings?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-07, 11:13 PM
BCP43002
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default How do you prevent door dings?

How do you prevent door dings? I try to park in "safe spots" ie spots at the end of the row so I only have to worry about one side of the car getting hit but only if they have a curb or barrier on the other side. I saw one product that attaches accross your door(not along the edge) when you park in I think Motor Trend a while ago but now can't find it. At work I have a reserved spot but I can't control how carefull the people next to me are as after a certain time anyone could park there if the spot was open. Any hints or products?
Old 12-29-07, 11:47 PM
LexFather

Yeah, parking in good spots helps but no true way to "prevent" them. There are dent pullers you can buy but not sure how well they work.

Old 12-30-07, 12:13 AM
G3Johnson
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Only thing to do would be put some type of moulding down your doors..maybe magnetic?? Or park far away from everything. The dent puller will work good for larger dents where the metal hasn't been creased. For door dings, you may need to take it to a shop that has the tools to push it back out from behind the panel.
Old 12-30-07, 01:03 AM
sleeper408

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Door moldings would help but they look tacky as hell.
Old 12-30-07, 07:21 AM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

our cars are definitely prone to dings because the plastic molding is so low. parking far away is all I can do. my town is not super crowded, so I can usually find a pretty safe spot. it's totally worth walking an extra 30 seconds or so to me.

I hate door dingers so much, it influences if I'm going to drive my GS or not by what kind of parking there will be.
Old 12-30-07, 08:53 AM
KevinGS
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

See this thread for differing opinions on how to truly avoid the dreaded door dings...right, 1Sick?

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=319119
Old 12-30-07, 09:53 AM
BigGene
Driver

This is so aggravating, I always park at the very back of parking lot where no other car is within 30' of my car and when I come back out to my car there are always people parked around my car...
Old 12-30-07, 10:16 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by KevinGS
See this thread for differing opinions on how to truly avoid the dreaded door dings...right, 1Sick?

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=319119
Thats a way to get shot, not get a door ding
Old 12-30-07, 01:41 PM
chrispy

Received 79 Likes on 37 Posts

I try to park next to newer cars because chances are the owners will care about it. I avoid cars with large people, or large cars in general.
Old 12-30-07, 02:05 PM
4ntvings
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

if you have a choice to park near a van or suv, choose near the van (assuming both are fairly newer models). reason = the van's rear doors should be sliding.

worst case, just park hella far. but like all say, some idiots always end up parking right next to you, just to **** you off (i think that's in chapter 1, in idiot school)
Old 12-30-07, 03:27 PM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 4ntvings
if you have a choice to park near a van or suv, choose near the van (assuming both are fairly newer models). reason = the van's rear doors should be sliding.
Sorry to say, this is actually a terrible idea... ever see a soccer mom trying to load groceries with two rug rats running around the van/SUV playing Spiderman? Or a family loading infants with strollers between your car and theirs? Oh my.

I park way out in no-man's land, and I never take two spaces (an invitation to get keyed). I try to park in an end spot (so I am protected on one side) and I justify the car all the way to the protected side to try and leave additonal space in case a moron does decide to park next to me.

I also try not to park downhill in an exposed area of a parking lot where an runaway shopping cart can get me. Also, I don't like parking "opposite" of SUVs, Vans, or trucks for fear they'll back straight out and crunch my bumper (I know it's difficult to turn on the DVD player, talk on the phone, drink Latte, AND back-up at the same time).

If I go to a club in L.A. or anywhere that requires Valet parking, I rent a car, ride with friends, or stay home.
Old 12-30-07, 06:38 PM
garbage85
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

its impossible, the more I try to avoid it the more I get
Old 12-30-07, 07:04 PM
G3Johnson
Driver

The solution? Not too bad IMO. Listed for 06 up GS but sure it would work on the 2nd gen.

http://www.wooddashexperts.com/custo...0&cat=0&page=1
Old 12-30-07, 07:10 PM
TORTOISE
Lead Lap

park diagonally across the spots like a ricer.haha
Old 12-30-07, 08:15 PM
94gsr-t
Driver

Originally Posted by BigGene
This is so aggravating, I always park at the very back of parking lot where no other car is within 30' of my car and when I come back out to my car there are always people parked around my car...
why is that the same thing happens to me too

Quick Reply: How do you prevent door dings?