GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Knockoff bodykit Lexus gs

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-08, 05:56 AM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I feel that there are certain "degrees" of knock-offs. For example, IF you like the style but cannot afford a particular Breitling watch there are several kinds of knock-offs that you can buy. You can pick up a knock-off on Canal St. in NYC for around $30 and have it VERY noticable that it's not real; functionality, looks/finish and weight OR you can buy (if you really want a faux timepiece) one of these watches at a store that specializes in faux watches. If you go this route you might spend $200 - $300 for a $3,000 watch and many Jewelers cannot even tell the difference...the weight and quality (everything for that matter is replicated to a high degree). In closing my point is "to each his own!" For me, I absolutely love the L-Sportline Kit and guess what they discontinued it (not new news) so the ONLY way I can have this "LOOK" is to buy a "knock-off" (if I really want this bad enough). "If" I am lucky enough to find each of the genuine parts used I will probably spend over $1600 because sellers know that they are hard to come by. Now, If I shop around for a good bodykit fabricator and am able to get it for $900 or so...even if I have to spend another $500 to get it to fit right (worst case scenario) then I'm still in the savings with the same look. I would NEVER EVER EVER do this with mechanicals such as performance parts these are more important than a bodykit...once you get it to fit right you'll probably be in the clear. Just my two cents.
Old 01-03-08, 07:39 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by slammed_gs
By the look of things this knockoff looks pretty good. Just take it too a good bodyshop. I know most of the big-dogs here are anti knock-off too.

FAke knockoff list
1. junction produce
2.wald
3.wise (lextasy.com)
4.admiration
5.veilside
6.auto couture
7.Rmm (sarona.com)
8.l-sportline (sarona.com)
9. I even saw a knock-off Vertex kit out their. ( cant find it anymore)
10. about 2 more are out their , but I forgot the real name of the kits

Most can be found on Ebay

the others if you search good enough, you will find them

Some of the authentic kits like JP is no different than the knockoff version in that it is made from fiberglass too. The true JP needs to be fabricated by a bodyshop just the same. What sort of recognition, street cred can one expect with the above authentic body kits ? The average Joe & Jane has no idea what JP, RMM, Admiration is. Heck, a body shop can do an amazing job on the knockoff, and it will be damn near impossible to tell the difference once installed & complete. Having a name brand kit does not make anyone a "big dog". I find that notion laughable. Some folks rather use 5k for a down payment on stunning new car, home improvement. Get into an accident and said 5K bodykit will be destroyed just the same. Think about it.. 5k for a body kit. Is it really worth it to you? For me, it is not. Call me a miser. If I can find a kit for 1k that has similar fitment or requires the same prep work as the 5k kit, my behind is purchasing the 1k bodykit.

$150 roof spoiler or $500 roof spoiler.. You be the judge.

Last edited by DASHOCKER; 01-03-08 at 07:45 AM.
Old 01-03-08, 07:46 AM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

+1...perfect!
Old 01-03-08, 07:49 AM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Rock-a-Lex
+1...perfect!
LOL, Nick, here are some opinions that are on the extreme opposite of the scale from yours.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=324839
Old 01-03-08, 09:11 AM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by oohpapi44
LOL, Nick, here are some opinions that are on the extreme opposite of the scale from yours.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=324839
Good one Cliff! lol.

Also, as a side note - do you guys know that it is a KNOWN FACT that MANY movie stars and celebrities "rent" there expensive jewelery when they have "red carpet" affairs not because they can't afford the $200,000 diamond necklaces but because they figure why when I can just rent for the night...people will never know it's not really mine. Also, many people that do in fact have A LOT of capital are relatively tight with their money I personally know a bunch of people not associated with each other that would have a bunch faux Rolex's but only a few real ones. By alternating and wearing them no one would ever "think" to confront and accuse them of wearing a fake because of the large capital/assets that they possess. So folks, everything isn't as always as they seem. I am happy for those who want to stick to the real thing and always the real thing but do not confuse the issue and convey that it's the people that cannot afford certain things...it simply comes down to what they feel is important and/or worth it to them. Neither side is better than the other; just preferences people.
Old 01-03-08, 09:25 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Rock-a-Lex
Good one Cliff! lol.

Also, as a side note - do you guys know that it is a KNOWN FACT that MANY movie stars and celebrities "rent" there expensive jewelery when they have "red carpet" affairs not because they can't afford the $200,000 diamond necklaces but because they figure why when I can just rent for the night...people will never know it's not really mine. Also, many people that do in fact have A LOT of capital are relatively tight with their money I personally know a bunch of people not associated with each other that would have a bunch faux Rolex's but only a few real ones. By alternating and wearing them no one would ever "think" to confront and accuse them of wearing a fake because of the large capital/assets that they possess. So folks, everything isn't as always as they seem. I am happy for those who want to stick to the real thing and always the real thing but do not confuse the issue and convey that it's the people that cannot afford certain things...it simply comes down to what they feel is important and/or worth it to them. Neither side is better than the other; just preferences people.
yes, it's about preference (everything is personal), but as an auto enthusiasts, it's wrong to promote knock offs, period. you don't see anyone in the music industry to promote pirated cd, do you?

just coz' there are people out there doing the wrong thing doesn't make it right. just coz' there are people out there doing the wrong thing doesn't make it ok for everyone to do.

authentic and knock offs are not about fitment, it's about the principle and showing your heart. getting knock offs and be wannabe, imho that's the problem with people. if you don't have that big of a head, don't get that big of a hat. no one is going to laugh at you coz' you drive a stock car. but i personally shade my head and smile at people who have knock offs. to me a lot of times ego really takes over in a lot of people's heads, which i feel pretty sad about, to be honest

anyway, this topic will never end. if i offend anyone, sorry, but that's my principle. i am just disappointed to see this going on in a car enthusiast site of this level. i miss those days when people in the 2gs forum all talk about the real deals and promote that scene
Old 01-03-08, 10:15 AM
excluesive
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
yes, it's about preference (everything is personal), but as an auto enthusiasts, it's wrong to promote knock offs, period. you don't see anyone in the music industry to promote pirated cd, do you?

just coz' there are people out there doing the wrong thing doesn't make it right. just coz' there are people out there doing the wrong thing doesn't make it ok for everyone to do.

authentic and knock offs are not about fitment, it's about the principle and showing your heart. getting knock offs and be wannabe, imho that's the problem with people. if you don't have that big of a head, don't get that big of a hat. no one is going to laugh at you coz' you drive a stock car. but i personally shade my head and smile at people who have knock offs. to me a lot of times ego really takes over in a lot of people's heads, which i feel pretty sad about, to be honest

anyway, this topic will never end. if i offend anyone, sorry, but that's my principle. i am just disappointed to see this going on in a car enthusiast site of this level. i miss those days when people in the 2gs forum all talk about the real deals and promote that scene
thing is, rock a replica kit all your heart desires, just don't act like you bought the real deal. that is my only problem. if those said people buy knockoffs, then say u bought a knockoff, dont say u bought a real JP kit or whatever. I would by a replica myself, but never, i mean never would i try to front and say its real. yes its a real kit (duh) but not from the original producers. my money is more important than a kit, thats why i never bought one, but if i did i may go replica. i will have the money to buy a real one, but from shipping and waiting and fitament, it just doesnt make sense.
Old 01-03-08, 10:31 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by excluesive
thing is, rock a replica kit all your heart desires, just don't act like you bought the real deal. that is my only problem. if those said people buy knockoffs, then say u bought a knockoff, dont say u bought a real JP kit or whatever. I would by a replica myself, but never, i mean never would i try to front and say its real. yes its a real kit (duh) but not from the original producers. my money is more important than a kit, thats why i never bought one, but if i did i may go replica. i will have the money to buy a real one, but from shipping and waiting and fitament, it just doesnt make sense.
Perhaps some are rocking RP kit on the hush hush. No body kits for me.
Old 01-03-08, 12:33 PM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

People would say "hey Rock that is a nice looking ride you got there...wow is that the L-Sportline kit?" I would say naahh, it's just an L-Sportline replica kit, couldn't find a genuine one because they disconinued them a while back and didn't want to wait for used pieces to show up for sale." That's all I would say. Now, me personally if I absolutely loved a kit THAT THEY STILL MAKE then I would entertain purchasing the genuine kit especially if it's only $500-$600 more. But in this situation (L-Sportline) combined with me being impatient I would most likely opt for a nice replica kit if and when the time comes.

I apologize to CL and these forums if this topic is being beaten like a dead horse...only one other topic has been beaten a little more, the notorious "my steering wheel is shaking at 60mph" LOL!!!
Old 01-03-08, 01:18 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

With the 12 degree temps we are having today in NYC, any body kit will crack
Old 01-03-08, 01:23 PM
mikemareen
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

replica or not, nothing beats the strength, quality and fit of OEM plastic. I'd try to stick to oem as much I can before I go fiberglass.
Old 01-03-08, 01:48 PM
L3XOTIC
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by hurricane
lol except the blick roof spoiler
agreed. EBAY item, fits PERFECT
Old 01-03-08, 08:58 PM
lexus75
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ebay do sell good product but alot of the bodykit are cheap.i bought a rear explosion kit knockoff for my gs.200$ it didn't even look right when i open it, the kit was 5in too short and under the back lights was a 2in gap.when i email them i had to spend another 150 to ship it back , i cut the damn thing up and bought a jp rear lip fits perfect.i end up spening 700 on a rear lip 485 and 200 for the cheap one so beware you might regret it later
Old 01-04-08, 12:29 AM
LexFather

RIP Pimp-C said it best on "Sipping on some Syrup"

"You say you a boss I ain't believe that s__t
You got the fake Geneva Watch with the Ferrari Kit
Take that MONKEY SH__T OFF, you Embarrassing us"

lol, I laugh everytime I hear his verse!!!