GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

The Tired & True Dilemma -2000 GS3 vs 99 GS4

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-08, 07:47 PM
FlyersFan
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK, we're at $12K for the 99 GS4 with 96k on the clock. I will need a 90K service and there is a small dent in the hood (paintless dent can probalby fix) and the front bumper cover is scratched (read: respray). The rest of the car is in great shape, loaded, rims, navi, etc. If it checks out on a PPI, would you go for it or not. I am not too put off by having to do the 90K, as I'll know it has been done right, etc. The respray, hmm. . . What do ya think.
Old 01-08-08, 08:24 PM
Frankdorn
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

A respray? You mean body kit opportunity. Dent fixed for $50. Good to know the 90K miles service is done correctly, not thrown together because they're "selling the car anyway". I would also do GS4, because regrets cost money at trade-in time. Judging by the questions you're asking regarding service history, I would pay the $200 to have a Lexus dealer do a prepurchase inspection to feel more confident, or hold out for a car with a doc'd history. Good luck!
Old 01-08-08, 08:44 PM
FlyersFan
Driver School Candidate

Ha! Yes, I thought about a body kit too. The owner has had the car for 90% of the miles w/warranty up to 80K which he said never needed to be used. Get a strong feeling guy is straight up, not a hustler as he was very forthcoming about things. Already called the local Lexus, $150 for a PPI. Maybe I'll do that and let them comment. Thanks again for all the comments.
Old 01-08-08, 10:58 PM
xgumsolesx
Rookie

I've got a great condition 1998 GS400 in FL... I'm only asking $8,000 firm. Chassis has 200k but it's got a fresh motor with 70k or so miles, details in my listing, search cars for sale...

Thanks
Old 01-09-08, 07:40 AM
TruPlaya26
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just because the GS3 was family owned does not necessarily mean it will be in better condition ... Since it was family owned it most likely had kids in it all the time, and kids love finding new ways to dirty the car and hide "surprises" like food or gum ... Trust me on this I have a 7 year old sister and 9 year old brother lol ... Just make sure before you buy one you check it out completely inside and out ... But if you ask me I think you should go out and find yourself a nice 400/430
Old 01-09-08, 08:27 AM
cobra2top
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I think he is talking about family owned as being privately owned. When I sold my BMW 540 it was privately owned from day one and that actually helped me on the sale. Many of these luxury cars were originally leased. I have a few friends that lease and if you saw how they treated them it would make you think! One friend would beat he crap out of his X5 because he would say "I am turning it back in on another soon". It was amazing because when he did turn it back in it was on the lot the next week detailed and looking great. If the current owner ever knew!! I believe when you know the car is being traded back in at some point, you may beat on it a little harder knowing it was going to be turned back in.

I know my GS4 was a one owner "family owned". They bought the car new and knowing they were keeping it for a long time (9 years) garage kept it and were 100% on top of all maintainence. I know I lucked out so I am pretty happy. Regardless they are out there, it is just the time to find it.
Old 01-09-08, 10:50 AM
FlyersFan
Driver School Candidate

XG, thanks for the lead. Looking for a 99/2000, but appreciate the heads up.

TP26 - no going back, going to be a GS4. The price difference does not justify "not" getting the larger engine and fun factor.

And, yes, Cobra is right, meant private family owned. And yes, my two kids do a number on our Blazer. Going to check every nook of anything I pick up. Kind of a gear head so, it goes with the territory.

Cobra, your scenario is my ideal. We'll see. The wait, man the wait! Thanks again guys.
Old 01-09-08, 11:07 AM
cobra2top
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FlyersFan

Cobra, your scenario is my ideal. We'll see. The wait, man the wait! Thanks again guys.
GOOD LUCK!!! They are out there.....the wait sucks but you know it will be totally worth it!!!!

I know about the kid thing, I'm the same way checking EVERYTHING out.......I have 2 also and happily the rear seats hold up pretty well with carseats....just have to keep the rear headrest in the garage!!
Old 01-10-08, 08:01 AM
TruPlaya26
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by cobra2top
GOOD LUCK!!! They are out there.....the wait sucks but you know it will be totally worth it!!!!

I know about the kid thing, I'm the same way checking EVERYTHING out.......I have 2 also and happily the rear seats hold up pretty well with carseats....just have to keep the rear headrest in the garage!!
Very true about waiting for the right one ... I waited almost 6 months before I pulled the trigger on my GS, I just couldn't find one i was "completely" satisfied with. And finally I saw this one and test drove it and inspected it, and drove it off the lot the same day, I just couldn't say no to the big V8 engine and a 2001 LEXUS with only 37k miles ... Good Luck Man
Old 01-10-08, 09:51 AM
werewolf
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

OK, we're at $12K for the 99 GS4 with 96k on the clock. I will need a 90K service and there is a small dent in the hood (paintless dent can probalby fix) and the front bumper cover is scratched (read: respray). The rest of the car is in great shape, loaded, rims, navi, etc. If it checks out on a PPI, would you go for it or not. I am not too put off by having to do the 90K, as I'll know it has been done right, etc. The respray, hmm. . . What do ya think.
Background: I bought a 1998 GS400 with 110K on the clock so your search is similar to what my search was. Started looking for a GS300 and couldn't pass on a 400.

Suggestions:
1) a 90K service can be also be done by a good independent for less. Example: I price quoted a 120K service from the local Lexus dealer and a well-reputed independent. 1300 from the dealer and 700 from the independent. Suggest you split the difference with the dealer using the Lexus quote you got of 1600 and use a good independent.
2) the GS400 v8 is not that different from a Tundra v8 so Toyota techs should know how to change the timing belt, do the 90k service. Personally I would still use a Lexus independent mechanic (should be familiar with the common issues on a GS400 sedan)
3) May want to consider pre-emptively changing out the starter or having the mechanic examine/replace wear items in the starter unit (contacts). B/c of the v8 engine design, the starter sits close to the block and you can't reach it unless you've removed the intake manifold (which you need to do to replace the timing belt). The starter is something that seems to go bad every 80-130K. If you're gonna do the 90K service, doing the starter at the same time will save you some labor cost.
4) Would also use a good independent for the PPI. For reference, I paid 80-90 for a PPI in SoCal.
5) Use your cash saving to buy beer for helpful Club Lexus members

Just some suggestions. I've gotten very good treatment from Lexus dealers but their margins on car sales, parts and service seem high.

Good luck
Old 01-10-08, 03:09 PM
FlyersFan
Driver School Candidate

Thanks Werewolf! Appreciate the tips! My boy with the GS4 for sale oddly went AWOL when I agreed to price but said I had spoken to the master tech at the local Lexus and needed to just get the PPI done first which I would gladly set up. Ha! Guess, I am back to the waitn'! Probably just as well.

Hey at least you guys convinced me on a 400! (No offense to the 300 clan! They're both great rides.)
Old 01-11-08, 06:06 AM
TruPlaya26
Lexus Champion

Thanks Werewolf! Appreciate the tips! My boy with the GS4 for sale oddly went AWOL when I agreed to price but said I had spoken to the master tech at the local Lexus and needed to just get the PPI done first which I would gladly set up. Ha! Guess, I am back to the waitn'! Probably just as well.

Hey at least you guys convinced me on a 400! (No offense to the 300 clan! They're both great rides.)
So since you're convinced on the 400, can we convince you to step up to a 430? I should be a car salesman