GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

My Custom Carbon Tag

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-08, 03:01 PM
carbongs
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default My Custom Carbon Tag

Well, as many of you know, I have always wanted to be unique with my modding style. Some call it VIP, others call it Street. Well, I've made a tag that will clarify it all. Or course it isn't an official government issued tag but this will be on the car for shows and meets. I call my style of modding, STREET - VIP. Too many true VIP-ers were on my case about not being truly VIP with my mods. Some street tuners didn't like my tastes either. With my mods lately it is coming along the way I had envisioned it. All the street accents with the VIP lines. I could never go 100% each way. So, if you see this plate at any shows, It's me!

We started with a blank plate, custom emblems from youremblem.com, and
a sheet of c/f.

We started the project by sanding down the plates using a 800grit sandpaper. After cleaning the sanded plate down with alcohol, we sprayed it with Bulldog Adhesion Promoter. It helps the paint stick to the material... After waiting 10-20min for the paint to dry, we put on the first layer of Dupli-Color Low Gloss Black. Wait some more, and second coat, than the third coat.

We cut the C/F sheet into the size we wanted, and put the emblem on top of the c/f sheet. Put that on top of the freshly painted flat black plate, and we have ourself a new custom plate!!!

Mad props to Shin (CarbonIS) as he did most of the work, and I'm sorry for making you sand!

p.s. I am not saying that I am either street or vip. it is just my way of explaining to everyone where my car is headed in it's own direction taking aspects from both lifestyles and tuning methods and combining them into one unit.

Last edited by carbongs; 01-07-08 at 03:56 PM.
Old 01-07-08, 03:06 PM
chrispy

Received 79 Likes on 37 Posts

The plate looks cool but there's not much VIP about your car at all. Seems like "street" and VIP are opposites.
Old 01-07-08, 03:14 PM
carbongs
Lexus Champion

understood, that's why VIP is after street
Old 01-07-08, 03:46 PM
GS FONZy
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by chrispy
The plate looks cool but there's not much VIP about your car at all. Seems like "street" and VIP are opposites.
Old 01-07-08, 03:52 PM
carbongs
Lexus Champion

thanks for your opinions thus far. but as it is for all of us, our cars are constantly being upgraded and modified. so keep your eyes out on the progress of my build. trust me when I say that I have put a lot of planning and research into my project. in the end you can never please them all. I just like sharing my progress with you all because this is like a family. no matter what the comments are, both positive and negative, I take them with the most respect because you take the time out to post your thoughts. I would not rather hear it from anyone else. just keep your eyes open and on the lookout. there's much more to come.
Old 01-07-08, 03:56 PM
chrispy

Received 79 Likes on 37 Posts

I like how well documented your threads are. And the plate would go well with your car. But I don't see why it's necessary to label your style. It's your own style and it doesn't need a name. Glad to see you take constructive criticism.
Old 01-07-08, 04:03 PM
carbongs
Lexus Champion

no problem at all. any criticism is better than no criticism at all. it helps gauge the decisions that I need to make sometimes. I wanted to have the plate on the car because I can't always explain my reasoning at shows to the spectators or judges as well as the other exhibiters if I am not around the car at the time or am busy talking to someone. I am the type that likes to interact with the crowd trying to answer every question I can. at this past weekend's world of wheels show there were many questions about the carbon fiber material and why I chose to use it. a lot of people don't understand right away the purpose for which the things that we do. it isn't really a label as it is a reasoning.
Old 01-07-08, 04:51 PM
GS FONZy
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think you worry too much about what others think. I don't think your car is VIP or Tuner, but rather has its own style and uniqueness. May not be for everyone, but that's ok as long as you are happy. I think you should express your self through your work and not labels because that's not realy going to answer any questions at any show.
Old 01-07-08, 05:15 PM
carbongs
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by GS FONZy
I think you worry too much about what others think. I don't think your car is VIP or Tuner, but rather has its own style and uniqueness. May not be for everyone, but that's ok as long as you are happy. I think you should express your self through your work and not labels because that's not realy going to answer any questions at any show.
thank you for your words and I do think that you are right. I can't help but try to be accepted by the lexus community and especially the modded lexus world.
Old 01-07-08, 05:18 PM
V8_Aristo
Bippu

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"Street-VIP"? I see where the "street"came from, but where's the VIP?
Old 01-07-08, 05:22 PM
carbongs
Lexus Champion

soon to come my friend. soon...
Old 01-07-08, 06:05 PM
kit cat

Originally Posted by carbongs
Some call it VIP, others call it Street.
As much as I agree with GS FONZy, whoever calls it VIP needs to retake VIP 101.

I like the idea, I like the plate. But why add more lines? Or are you just gonna throw it on the dashboard or something?
Old 01-07-08, 06:09 PM
V8_Aristo
Bippu

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You already know that VIPstyle starts with the right car, then stance and wheel fitment right? Anything after that is the owners preference. No amount of tables, crystals or rear view mirror ornaments will make a car more "VIP".If you haven't figured it out by now, VIPstyle is how a car is put together and not the sum of it's parts.
Old 01-07-08, 06:22 PM
carbongs
Lexus Champion

I have a lot to learn, I acknowledge that. I am working on my research and I am learning more each day. my setup is not vip and I know that. give me some time and you'll see the overall direction of my plans.
Old 01-07-08, 06:24 PM
kit cat

Originally Posted by carbongs
I have a lot to learn, I acknowledge that. I am working on my research and I am learning more each day. my setup is not vip and I know that. give me some time and you'll see the overall direction of my plans.
Keep us updated, would love to see how you're going to integrate VIP style and carbon (have you checked out JunctionProduces carbon GS that was for sale?).

on a sidenote, until you made that butt-lift thread, am I the only one that thought it was car-bongs and not carbon-gs??

Quick Reply: My Custom Carbon Tag