GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Need Help With Noise From Engine!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-08, 06:39 PM
Oconee1985
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Updated!! Need Help With Noise From Engine!!

Ive got a 2000 gs300 and when it is cold i get a whinining/whirring noise that sounds like it is coming from the timing belt cover area. The noise comes happens with the car in park/neutral or going down the road and increases / decreases w/ rpms. The timing belt was replaced about 21k miles ago at the dealership. There is no way to reproduce the sound. It is more consistent when it is cold but will do it when the weather is warm and the engine is warm.

I searched the forumns and it seems several people think it is the tensioner but I never saw any type of fix or confirmation and the SC guys had the same problem and had instructions on how to remove the bearing ffom the tensioner for a fix along with part number but I didnt see anything like that on the GS forums.

Thanks for any help.

Last edited by Oconee1985; 02-01-08 at 06:13 PM. Reason: found problem which is unusual
Old 01-08-08, 06:44 PM
UncleRay
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

It's best that you take this to a Lexus Dealership to look at. I took my GS400 to them with the same problem, (However the sound would only occur when driving 38-40MPH) and they found out that one of my fans needed to be greased. Charged me a good $3.00 lol
Old 01-08-08, 06:50 PM
Oconee1985
Driver

That may be what I end up doing but the only problem with that is the nearest dealer is about 2hrs drive from here. With my luck I will have to take a whole day to go over there and back and they want be able to recreate it.

I was hoping it was something I could take to my local guy and have him fix after narrowing it down.
Old 01-08-08, 08:32 PM
01gs3
Pole Position

I actually had a whirring/squeaking sound at idle rpms too. I had my 90k service (water pump and timing belt) done couple months back so I looked at those first. Turns out it was the water pump. If you hear th squealing and can't really designate the area, get a coolant hose or something along those lines to use as a stethescope (spelling?). Put one end on various things like the alternator or water pump and the other up to your ear. Sorry if I'm vague. Ended up being under the 90k service warranty and dealership took care of it.
Old 01-09-08, 11:57 AM
Oconee1985
Driver

Just my luck I called the lexus dealership and they warranty their work for one year....... yep warranty ran out LAST month... So any other ideas I would appreciate it before I take it to my local guy.
Old 01-09-08, 12:07 PM
dung0981
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thats not the timing belt problem. The drive belt loose, when you are increasing/decreasing the engine speed. some of the pulley slide on the belt create some whining noise. Change the drive belt and check drive belt tensioner
Hope this help
Old 01-22-08, 09:51 AM
Blanco
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Same here

My '98 GS4 is having a very similar problem. It makes a low whining sound intermittantly. I have no control trying to reproduce it. I first noticed it getting off the highway, and rolling to a stop. Without moving and engine running the sound persisted for a minute, until I turned off A/C. Uh oh, maybe compressor going bad? So I drive around some more with A/C off. Sound returns 10-15 minutes later in parking lot. I jump out and pop hood to see if I can locate sound. A/C is still off, so it sounds like it might be the water pump or power steering going south. Sound stops within a minute.

The drive home induces more noise, on the highway. This time the pitch of the whine changes independent of rpm/car speed. Drove to work this morning, and got no noise. I KNOW it's not a belt problem, so I'm taking it by my local Lexus mechanic today. If anyone is interested I'll post the diagnosis when they find out what the problem is.

The sound comes from the front of the engine, and sounds ominously like a bad water pump, which was replaced about 20k-30k miles ago with t-belt. The pitch is lower than bad belt, and higher than bad power steering pump/leak. Was searching here this morning. Could be a bad tensioner, I hope. Replacing the water pump could be pricey.
Old 01-22-08, 08:20 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

It could be serpantine belt, or any of the pulleys its turning - whether its idler, tensioner, AC, PS, alternator or fan. It could be one of the fans as well. It could also be idler pulleys for the timing belt, or even worse, the water pump.
Old 01-23-08, 10:01 PM
Blanco
Lexus Test Driver

Well the mechanic couldn't diagnose the problem without hearing the noise, and of course it wasn't making any when he inspected the car. It's done a couple of times since then. Both times it stopped when turning off the auto climate control, so I'm beginning to think it's the compressor pulley, clutch, or compressor itself. I want to be more certain before taking it back again for another look.
Old 01-24-08, 11:47 AM
tommyjaix
Lead Lap

I have the same problem but it sounds more like a vibrating piece of metal, I think mine is coming from the broken heatshield I have by the stock intake, its crakked into 2 piece and when I gas it, the vibration of the tube would cause those two to beat against each other producing that noise, I'm going to electric tape it today and see if the noise persists. if so, I'll be on the same boat as everyone here
Old 01-24-08, 05:58 PM
Oconee1985
Driver

On mine both lexus and my mechanic think its the tensioner which is of course the one thing lexus didnt replace when they did the timing belt. As soon as my buddy can get to it I will let you guys know if it takes care of it. Also, I will list the toyota part numbers and cost.
Old 01-26-08, 11:08 AM
SlvrGS300
Lead Lap

did you guys ever figure out what was making the noise? I had the same noise in my car. It ended up being the acc belt tensioner. Found out the hard way as I was driving home and the pulley froze completely, throwing the acc belt. Luckily I was only a few blocks from home, and have a GTE in my garage to replace the tensioner until I have all my parts to do the swap. It looks like the bearing inside of it disintegrated because when i removed the pulley all the ball bearings fell out on to the floor and there was metal shavings everywhere.
Old 01-31-08, 12:49 PM
Oconee1985
Driver

Well I found out my problem my buddy just sent me a picture of what was wrong with my car. The Einstein at Hennessy who did the timing belt job (before I bought the car) didnt tighten the pulley nut and when my mechanic took everything apart the nut was laying in the pulley. Check out the picture

Old 01-31-08, 12:52 PM
Oconee1985
Driver

Ok the picture isnt working for some reason so here is the url

https://www.clublexus.com/gallery/sh...112469&cat=500
Old 01-31-08, 02:57 PM
UncleRay
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Oconee1985
Well I found out my problem my buddy just sent me a picture of what was wrong with my car. The Einstein at Hennessy who did the timing belt job (before I bought the car) didnt tighten the pulley nut and when my mechanic took everything apart the nut was laying in the pulley. Check out the picture

WOOOOAH!!!!!! That is DANGEROUS!!!

Quick Reply: Need Help With Noise From Engine!!