GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Launching techniques, what Are your Secrets

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-08, 01:49 PM
Vic Nyce
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by IAGS400
Putting your shifter or e-shift in 2 doesn't start you in 2nd. It tells the transmission it can use 1 or 2.

Put it in 3 and the transmission will use 1, 2, or 3 and so on.

You can get the car to start in 2nd by using the snow setting.

If you are at the track, lower your tire pressure down somewhere between 18-24, depends on the car, tires and track.

are you sure about snow mode locking out 1st? in my car snow mode just deadens throttle response [a LOT!]. when accelerating in snow mode using e-shift at 2. i see the RPMs drop signifying a gear change from 1 to 2.
Old 01-10-08, 02:21 PM
IAGS400
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Vic Nyce
are you sure about snow mode locking out 1st? in my car snow mode just deadens throttle response [a LOT!]. when accelerating in snow mode using e-shift at 2. i see the RPMs drop signifying a gear change from 1 to 2.
There have been many threads on this. Search for "snow mode".
Old 01-10-08, 04:15 PM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Search and you will find. Try entering key words like "launch" or "drag" or Gtech", "G-Tech".

My 2cents is no matter what launch RPM people recommend, it is not a hard and fast number. Your results will all depend on the road surface type, your tires, wheel diameter, etc.

The bottom line is when you launch, if the tires spin for more than say one revolution, you need to back off on the rpm's. So just keep dropping your rpm until until the spin is minimal. It feels like you are hauling a$$ when the tires screech and spin with the engine roaring, but in actuality thats a slower 0- 60.

Get a G-Tech Pro or similar device if you really want to practice your launch techniques. I've learned that the butt-o-meter does not do as good of a job of telling you when you have launched correctly compared to a G-Tech.

A NA GS with all the standard available bolt on engine mods, headers, intake, exhaust, TC & 3.76 LSD will do 0-60 in around 5.2-3 sec. Again your actual results will all depend on over a dozen other variables that can affect your performance, but I'd say 5.3 sec is a good number to shoot for. Your results when running on a drag strip will also differ because of the surface type. That's what the car mags use when they test 0-60 performance, so don't expect to get as good of results when practicing on standard road surfaces.
Old 01-10-08, 04:35 PM
GS FONZy
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Complete stock, have fun trying to get traction, No LSD= No hard launching.

Are your wheels 16"? if they are 16s drop the pressure betwwen 15-20psi and warm up your tires (burn out power braking) before stagging. Leave your car in "D" no tricks needed. power brake and keep you rev at 2200 and the minute you see the third yellow light up, let go of brake and smash your gas pedal. Hopefully traction will be good and you won't have traction issues. I had tractions probles without LSD and could never launch hard, lets hope that does not happend to you.
If you can get a bottle of VHT, that stuff will help out with traction.

BTW in you have 17" wheels or higher do not drop tire pressure more than 10psi because you can damage your tires.

Last edited by GS FONZy; 01-11-08 at 04:34 PM.
Old 01-11-08, 05:58 AM
TruPlaya26
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by pitmanr200
sounds like some good ideas. anybody hit in the 13's stock?
Yea push the brake pedal and then press the gas till the needle sits between 1700-1800 rpm, at the green light, release the brake and slam the gas, and you're OFF !! If you have good tires you may be able to brake torque a little higher (leave the needle between 2000-2200rpm). You should try practicing so that you know the highest rpm you can sit at without spinning the wheels.

Now as for hitting the 13's with a stock 2nd Gen GS, I just don't think we'll be seeing that, with all the bolt-on mods available maybe
Old 01-11-08, 04:32 PM
GS FONZy
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by TruPlaya26
at the green light, release the brake and slam the gas, and you're OFF !!
GREEN LIGHT, talk about high reaction times
Old 01-11-08, 04:57 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

and yes when the shifter is in D the car is atomatically put in 2nd gear,
this is incorrect(unless you're in snow mode). the car always starts from a stop in 1st, it will just shift real early if you don't get on it.

brake torquing does give a quicker launch but it's also hell on the super soft lexus motor mounts.

btw-my car launches nice with my sticky Goodyear GS-D3s on my light stock 16s.
Old 01-11-08, 05:20 PM
BLAZE
Lexus Test Driver

Smile

Originally Posted by chuckb
this is incorrect(unless you're in snow mode). the car always starts from a stop in 1st, it will just shift real early if you don't get on it.

brake torquing does give a quicker launch but it's also hell on the super soft lexus motor mounts.

btw-my car launches nice with my sticky Goodyear GS-D3s on my light stock 16s.
So what's up for bradenton? We can make it a mini-mini meet....lol
Old 01-11-08, 06:37 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by blaise

So what's up for bradenton? We can make it a mini-mini meet....lol
one of these days..........
we need a nice cool test and tune night.

http://www.bradentonmotorsports.com/
Old 01-11-08, 08:42 PM
swat1727
Instructor

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts

lose weight =)
Old 01-14-08, 06:22 AM
TruPlaya26
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by GS FONZy
GREEN LIGHT, talk about high reaction times
Lol wasn't talking about the track here, I meant green light on the street ... But yea at the track I release and smash at the second yellow
Old 01-14-08, 09:42 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

All of this being done at stop lights and not a track right ? 300hp A/T.. Stomp and go.
Old 01-14-08, 05:19 PM
BigManne
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Are your wheels 16"? if they are 16s drop the pressure betwwen 15-20psi and warm up your tires (burn out power braking) before stagging.
if you do not have drag radials or slicks it is pointless to do a big burn out. normal radials will not get more sticky if they are heated up. they just turn to powder. you just need to dust off the tires from rocks and stuff thats it. if you go to a track drive around the water box if you are on normal tires.
Old 01-14-08, 07:58 PM
GS FONZy
Lexus Champion

Lol wasn't talking about the track here, I meant green light on the street ... But yea at the track I release and smash at the second yellow
third yellow, if you leave after second yellow you will red light.

Originally Posted by BigManne
if you do not have drag radials or slicks it is pointless to do a big burn out. normal radials will not get more sticky if they are heated up. they just turn to powder. you just need to dust off the tires from rocks and stuff thats it. if you go to a track drive around the water box if you are on normal tires.
I didn't say sit in the box and burn them like slicks, just get them warm. Anyways it works for me, but drag radial is the way to go.
Old 01-15-08, 05:41 AM
TruPlaya26
Lexus Champion

third yellow, if you leave after second yellow you will red light.
Let's just say I don't have the quickest reaction time in the world ... those lights move quick and I've only red lighted once which was the first day I ever went out to the track, against a Maxima LOL ... I'm more of a street racing guy, I still need to get used to the track

Quick Reply: Launching techniques, what Are your Secrets