GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Need help w/ Alarm problem after starter replacement

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-08, 05:40 PM
minla007
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Need help w/ Alarm problem after starter replacement

so i just had my starter replaced on a 98 gs4...and now now my alarms are all screwy....mechanic is blaming it on the alarm, but i think its bs cuz everything was fine before the repair....here is the problem:

I have 2 alarms: stock alarm and a dei alarm w/ remote start

DEI alarm:
- no longer chirps, seems to be on permanent silent mode
- no lights flash either
- locks/unlocks doors ok and remote starts ok
- does NOT arm the alarm

Stock alarm:
- locks/unlocks ok and chirps
- does NOT arm the alarm

also, the blinking light inside the car that indicated the car was armed no longer blinks. when i lock the doors, the light just stays on, no blink.
my concern is that both the alarms is being not being activated, so the car is not armed. i armed/disarmed w/ the fob inside the car and unlocked manually and opened door, but the alarm didn't sound. i hit the panic button to make sure the sirens work and the panic button sets the sirens off.

at this point, im not sure what to do? do i have to reprogram the alarm or something? maybe a loose wire? all the fuses were checked and ok. what else should i check?

any help would be greatly appreciated...thanks!

Last edited by minla007; 01-10-08 at 06:11 PM. Reason: edit
Old 01-10-08, 05:51 PM
GS FONZy
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Your alarm is in sleep mode, check your manual and located your ghost switch.
I rememeber my old alarm was "ignition on and press switch 3 times, then turn ignition off". That would turn alarm back on. You might have to go back to where it was installed if you can figure it out.
Old 01-10-08, 06:08 PM
minla007
Pole Position

Originally Posted by GS FONZy
Your alarm is in sleep mode, check your manual and located your ghost switch.
I rememeber my old alarm was "ignition on and press switch 3 times, then turn ignition off". That would turn alarm back on. You might have to go back to where it was installed if you can figure it out.
are you referring to the stock alarm or the dei alarm being in sleep mode? what/where is the ghost switch?

i bought this car used w/ all the stuff already on it so i don't know who installed it. i do remember there being some type of switch underneath the steering wheel right above where you feet would be on the floor...i forgot what it does...could that be the ghost switch?
Old 01-10-08, 09:01 PM
GS FONZy
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by minla007
are you referring to the stock alarm or the dei alarm being in sleep mode? what/where is the ghost switch?

i bought this car used w/ all the stuff already on it so i don't know who installed it. i do remember there being some type of switch underneath the steering wheel right above where you feet would be on the floor...i forgot what it does...could that be the ghost switch?
Yes, that's the switch. Just go to any place that installs alarms. Go up to an installer and tell them your problem. They usually help out on small things like this.
Old 01-10-08, 09:15 PM
Chin
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You need to take your car into a professional. But here are some of my thoughts...

1. Since you have remote start, it is possible the original alarm installer permanently disabled your factory alarm to prevent it from triggering when the car is remote started.

2. It is possible that your DEI aftermarket alarm is in valet mode. Follow the directions below and see if they work for you. The switch you see under the dash, may or may not be for your alarm... but try this:

To de-activate the Valet Mode do the following:

There is a push button or toggle switch to enable the alarm (to disengage the valet mode). Without knowing where this switch is you won't be able to reconnect the alarm.

1. Put the key in the ignition and turn it to the "on" position.
2. Flip the toggle or hold the push button for at least 1 seconds no more than 2 seconds on most DEI products,
keep it pressed in.
3. Turn the ignition off.
4. The LED. light will be off.
5. Release the push button. If you have a toggle leave it alone as described in step 2.

3. If the above steps do not work for you and depending on what transmitter you have, if it is a 2 button transmitter, try this: Turn the ignition on, then on your transmitter hit 1 then 2 then 1 again, pressing each one for about half a second 1-2-1...

You will know if your DEI alarm is in valet mode it the led inside the car is constantly on and not flashing.

4. Also you said the vehicle was fine before the starter replacement... check under the hood to see (if you have them) if the hood pin switches were accidentally bent or damaged or the wiring going to the pin switch was disconnected.

Good luck...
Old 01-11-08, 06:26 AM
minla007
Pole Position

thanks for your replies guys! much appreciated...i will try out your suggestions and report back if it works or not..

btw..i have a 4 button DEI fob...does not have LCD though
Old 01-11-08, 08:55 AM
minla007
Pole Position

the 1-2-1 button key press sequence worked perfectly...now my alarm is armed!! thanks guys!!! i did it w/ the door open and now everything chirps, led flashes and car is armed!

for dei product documentation go here: www.directed.com
Old 01-11-08, 11:06 AM
Chin
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by minla007
the 1-2-1 button key press sequence worked perfectly...now my alarm is armed!! thanks guys!!! i did it w/ the door open and now everything chirps, led flashes and car is armed!

for dei product documentation go here: www.directed.com
Cool, glad I could help. Just so you know, DEI truly makes some of the best and most reliable alarms on the planet. If they are installed correctly, they should last just as long as your car. The problems arise when an installer does not know what the hell he is doing or if they half *** the install.