GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Tough decision to make about my baby

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-08, 07:45 PM
MikeyK02
Instructor

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts
Default Tough decision to make about my baby

Hello my fellow GS driving/owning/admiring brother and sisteren.

Today, I got a call and I have to make one of the toughest decisions ever. Do I sell my baby (that I have worked SO hard for) in order to help my mother with saving her house, or do I try to find other means of helping her get the money?

Obviously I am going to help her either way, but should it have to come down to my baby? I've only owned her for 5 months, just started to make her my own and mod it, and now I'm faced with selling her, just to help out.

Have any of you ever been faced with a decision like this?
Old 01-16-08, 07:50 PM
cheap300
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Been down that road before. That sucks man hate to hear about the hard times. Cars are cars thow, its not hard to get another one. Best wishes to your family.
Old 01-16-08, 07:53 PM
flipicanez
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dude its your mother or a car. There are plenty of GS's out there to play with someday. For now its about saving a house and your mother's credit. You've had the car for 5 months......she's been there your whole life. (And don't consider that time that she couldn't get you those Nike's when you were 13 and made you mad.)
Old 01-16-08, 07:53 PM
VipDout
19x11.5 -51

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cheap300
Been down that road before. That sucks man hate to hear about the hard times. Cars are cars thow, its not hard to get another one. Best wishes to your family.
+1 to that Frank ...

As long as You arent too attached to the car yet ... you can get one later with a better Value ... Best of luck with family issues ..

Btw I have been a mortgage broker ... If the loan will keep adjusting after you help out ... maybe it might be time to walk away too ? Best luck and decisions
Old 01-16-08, 08:01 PM
MikeyK02
Instructor

Originally Posted by flipicanez
Dude its your mother or a car. There are plenty of GS's out there to play with someday. For now its about saving a house and your mother's credit. You've had the car for 5 months......she's been there your whole life. (And don't consider that time that she couldn't get you those Nike's when you were 13 and made you mad.)
Oh believe me, that's what i've been telling myself ALL day. For me, at least in my family, I am the only one who's really "done okay" for myself. And this car was the first thing I bought myself...for me. That's all. It's always do for everyone else, and never for myself. But I guess it was the hand I was dealt for the time being.

pxrlex,
Goodness man. I've never seen/heard anything like what my mom is going through. Her original place she got her house loan from went bankrupt about 2 or 3 years ago, and somewhere along the way, they lost the records of her paying. So I have basically been funding her lawyer fees, most of her house note, and what not to fix the issue.

Well about 3 months back, we get a letter saying she's going to get foreclosed on if we didnt come up with 7,000 by the end of the week. I got it and we paid for it.

Now she's trying to refinance it, and get into a fixed rate, and what do you know, the place that she pays her stuff too says they can't do it, b/c her credit went to **** after that whole ordeal. They say a lot of her stuff is in collections (which it shouldnt be, b/c we payed it)
Old 01-16-08, 08:09 PM
UncleRay
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Dude. Get away from that company!! They're trying to ****** you out of your money!!!! STAY AWAY FROM THAT COMPANY! Get a second, third opinion!
Old 01-16-08, 08:14 PM
DJ TANTRA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by flipicanez
gotta +1 with this man..

Try other means...maybe a loan on your name?

But worst comes to worst...save your mom's house!!
Old 01-16-08, 08:15 PM
Frankdorn
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

1. Think of what you don't like about your car (i.e. wish it was a V8 , wish it had a black interior, whatever). Look forward to that in your next car.

2. Think of how much you love your mom. If your shallow, you can also think about what you'll inherit someday. If you're noble, you'll know that giving what it was hardest for you to do so has made you a stronger person. Cheesy, but true. Its building character. Besides, wouldn't you feeling guilty driving a Lexus while your mother is losing sleep/her house? Kinda ruins the experience of owning it.

3. You've had the car for 5 months, so its not a racecar you've poured your life savings into in hopes of winning Nascar. My opinion may not be popular, but its just a Lexus GS. Not a '67 Shelby or a '58 Ferrari. You'll get another one.

4. Set a goal for buying your next GS and stick to it. You shouldn't have to babysit this fiasco forever, so stay on that lawyer's A$$ and make sure he's taking care of your business. Then buy your car back.
Old 01-16-08, 08:16 PM
MikeyK02
Instructor

Originally Posted by GS400RcrX
Dude. Get away from that company!! They're trying to ****** you out of your money!!!! STAY AWAY FROM THAT COMPANY! Get a second, third opinion!
Believe me we are. She has a friend TRYING to get her a loan. That we went to last month. However he's saying her score is/was the 500-550 range. And nowadays, i fear it's damn near impossible to get her ANYTHING worth something.

Not to mention, I am trying to expand my business while working full time, so I never have the time to just sit and talk it out with her. And when we do, she just breaks down in tears

(which I know how that feels like) b/c she feels so helpless. And thinks she's a burden to me. Which at this point, the way I see it is that she's help me become a man, but where do you draw the line.

Meaning, how much money do you put up for something that seems like a lost hope. Within the last year, with ALL this mess, i've definetly put up over 20,xxx just to help keep this place. And that creates a strain with me and my g/f (who I live with) as well.

I really just want to drive somewhere and yell until I can't yell anymore.
Old 01-16-08, 10:52 PM
masboy
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

MikeyK02, I'm feelin' you brother...feelin' you. I'm quite similar in the same boat as you are right now. I decided to let my GS go soon, family always comes first. you can change car as many as you want, but family can't be changed.

think this way, if you do a huge favor to your family (mom), GOD will pay you back TWICE...even more if you're lucky. Do it willingly, and you'll be surprise how GOD will pay you back someday.

Once Michael Jordan said
If you're trying to achieve, there will be roadblocks. I've had them; everybody has had them. But obstacles don't have to stop you. If you run into a wall, don't turn around and give up. Figure out how to climb it, go through it, or work around it.
Don't walk away, don't drive away from this situation. Face it, and you will become a different person after it's all said and done.

Wish you the best of luck MikeyK02. Let GS go and think positive, you might get IS-F sometimes next 2 year. Hey....you never know
Old 01-16-08, 11:19 PM
kalristo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

save your mom, i would
like russel peters says, "be a man, do the right thing"
man i just turned a comedy into something serious

Last edited by kalristo; 01-16-08 at 11:19 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-17-08, 12:03 AM
markgs4
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

best of luck to with whatever you decide....but as others have eluded to, the car can always be replaced down the line with something similar and probably of better value, but the house (if it can be saved) would appear to be the bigger priority.

Like pxrlex, Im in the mtg industry too but as an underwriter, and I see so many foreclosures and short sales come thru my desk everyday now. I see refinances daily for people trying to get out of their adjustable rate mortgages. And while I would love to get them all approved, guidelines have changed so much that these borrowers no longer qualify....and many are forced to walk away from their properties.

Again, best of luck and best wishes to you and your mom...I hope things work out somehow.
Old 01-17-08, 12:29 AM
El Duque
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mikey, sent you a pm.
Old 01-17-08, 03:20 AM
cliffud
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

hmmm- ditch a depreciating asset to help pay for an asset that is currently appreciating or soon will be (when the housing market recovers)...

in my honest opinion - sell the ride man. pick up an old school LS400 and give the leftover cash to the mom. when it's family, there's no need to think twice.

c.
Old 01-17-08, 08:06 AM
MikeyK02
Instructor

Hey all,
I appreciate all the imput. And I guess I came off a little wrong last night. Meaning I obviously am going to help my mom in this situation. I just wanted to see if any of you ever just felt helpless on a situation such as this.

After shelling out 20K plus on a house, that I dont even live in, I wanted to see when you would draw the line? Would you keep putting money into what seems to be a hole, or money pit...only to find out a few months later that something else is wrong.

It sounds bad but yeah. I guess it's just me ranting. I hope this situation is something no one else has to go through.

Quick Reply: Tough decision to make about my baby