GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Anyone own a BMW 3 or 5 series before or after your GS?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-08, 10:00 PM
IMXCITD
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by ReLexin
Don't switch.... You'll regret it.
Sound advice.
Old 02-07-08, 08:00 AM
timphan85
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had an E46 2o03 model. It was a convertible and it was great but it was in the shop every month. I currently have a 2002 E39 525i and its been great to me. All i have to do is change the oil and tires and check all fluids and drive. It hasnt really given me any problems yet *knocks on wood* and i hope it doesnt. It is used as a daily driver and has over 100k miles on it already. I also have a 2002 lexus gs300 that i love. I started with a 1999 gs300 as my first lexus and switched several cars in between yet to come back to the GS. Its a clean car and i love the comfort. I also drive an s2000 as a daily because it offers m3 handling and fun without the reliability issue because its a honda it will last forever.
Old 02-07-08, 11:01 AM
dbox
Driver

i have had -

03 M3
00 M5
04 X5
05 M3

bought my girl an 01 525i(she's now in an Acura TL)

the most solid out of all was the 525i with both M3's coming in a close 2nd. the BMW feeling is fantastic but i'm right back in a GS(had a 99GS3, now have 03GS3). stick with Lexus IMO unless you're ready to deal with BMW service as much as a GF.
Old 02-07-08, 07:20 PM
diamondmit
Driver

Default I'm driving an '01 330 CiC and have 108K miles on the car with no service problems...

...at all. At 100K miles I replaced the shocks and springs (I had a broken spring), but given that these are wear items, I don't see this as a service issue.

I love the car, and drive it very hard. Handling is terrific / telepathic and during the summer months, I park the GS and don't drive the Lex much at all. The GS430 is my winter driver with Dunlop M3 Snow tires all around.

I've had good service from the BMW dealer, and there are a gazillion aftermarket products for any purpose, plus lot's of independent mechanics that specialize in the marque. The interior is nice, but not up to par with Lexus; I have the upgraded audio (Harmon/Kardon) and it's nice, but I like the factory Lexus stereo better (I have the nav interface).

The ride in the BMW, to me, is perfect; smooth and compliant, yet still able to carve it up. The Lexus is too floaty, and even a little harsh over smaller bumps.

Headlights are better in the BMW; Steering and brakes much better in the BMW. With my SRT intake on the GS, engine intake noise is way better on the Lexus, but I do have an ECIS cold air intake on the BMW that sounds pretty good as well.

I get an average of 26mpg in the BMW and 21 in the Lexus with highway mileage for each at about 29mpg/24mpg respectively.

I guess I've been lucky, although the E46 models are known to be very reliable. Make sure that you inspect the rear mounting points for the shocks on ANY E46 you consider as hard use has the potential to tear the sheetmetal here - it is rare, but the only real issue to specifically look for. Even that has a simple $12 reinforcement plate fix from Turner Motorsports (or any of another 20 companies). Let me know if I can provide you any other insights. I've got to admit, I love owning both of these cars, and for different reasons and I'm totally comfortable in both.

Best regards,
DD.
Old 02-07-08, 09:42 PM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

IMO, MB and BMW are all very precisely engineered

the german engineering is precise enough that electrical stuff will start breaking down after the warranty expires
lol
Old 02-07-08, 10:33 PM
Blue400
Rookie

I'm posting this using my brother's account on here, He just bought a 98 gs400, while i have 99 528i sport. After driving both cars, i love the power of the lexus ( mine only v6). The lexus feels good driving on bumpy uneven roads, very quick. On the other hand the bmw handles amazing it's almost like driving a car on rail tracks, no way your falling asleep in it. Ofcourse its the sport package and is very responsive at every rpm range. The interior of the lexus if very inviting, where the bmw feels more roomy at least for the driver and front passenger. As for the maintainance issues, well yes the cooling system requires replacement and power steering hoses. My brother calls me 2 days after he bought the car all panicky and had his ball joints replaced and the locking module. So i figure every car has their issues but the bmw does seem to encounter more problems. Electronics so far have been perfect. But the lexus wins me over with THE CUP HOLDER.
Old 02-08-08, 09:49 AM
alredxiii
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So you mean to say that you cannot have precise engneering and reliable
Old 02-08-08, 10:55 AM
VipDout
19x11.5 -51

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Blue400
I'm posting this using my brother's account on here, He just bought a 98 gs400, while i have 99 528i sport. After driving both cars, i love the power of the lexus ( mine only v6). The lexus feels good driving on bumpy uneven roads, very quick. On the other hand the bmw handles amazing it's almost like driving a car on rail tracks, no way your falling asleep in it. Ofcourse its the sport package and is very responsive at every rpm range. The interior of the lexus if very inviting, where the bmw feels more roomy at least for the driver and front passenger. As for the maintainance issues, well yes the cooling system requires replacement and power steering hoses. My brother calls me 2 days after he bought the car all panicky and had his ball joints replaced and the locking module. So i figure every car has their issues but the bmw does seem to encounter more problems. Electronics so far have been perfect. But the lexus wins me over with THE CUP HOLDER.
Dude .. seriously ... cupholder and the damn storage compartments ?? I hate it in the bimmer .. Everything is stored on passengers lap or that seat ..
Old 02-18-08, 07:35 AM
DallasLex
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by nytoy
Just curious if anyone has owned a 1999-2008 3-series or 1997-2008 5-series BMW and a 2nd gen GS. I'm considering switching to the dark side and dealing with the less relability for a little more sportiness. I do love my lexus, but I often find myself wondering. Another problem is the lack of power except for the 540 with the V8 in it. The grass always looks greener on the other side I guess...
I have both, the GS430 and 330i. The Lexus is my daily driver and the BMW the weekender. The main reason is there's no car that posesses the virtues of both in one package.

The bimmer is everything I ever wanted in pure handlling and response. The Lexus is everything I ever wanted in pure luxury, comfort, and reliability; best of both worlds.
Old 02-18-08, 09:34 AM
Kbueno
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by DallasLex
I have both, the GS430 and 330i. The Lexus is my daily driver and the BMW the weekender. The main reason is there's no car that posesses the virtues of both in one package.

The bimmer is everything I ever wanted in pure handlling and response. The Lexus is everything I ever wanted in pure luxury, comfort, and reliability; best of both worlds.
+1

2001 GS430
2007 335i

It does get hard to choose sometimes.
Old 02-20-08, 07:22 PM
Nilesh
Driver School Candidate

Default Lexus VS BMW

I have 99 BMW 540I (V-8), 2000 Lexus GS3000 and 2005 BMW 530 W/Sports Package.

In my experience, 2005 - 530 with Sports Package is best driver car. There is no comparison as far as the way BMW picks up and go. Only problem with BMW is reliablity, I have had many issues with electronics. It is also has rough ride and that is due to sports suspension and run-flat tires which are standard with sports package.

I bought my Lexus new and at first I loved the way the car felt and when I was in market to buy new car, I was about to by the 3rd generation GS3 but didnt because I already the 2nd Generation and that is when I test drove 530 and the car blew me away. That car can reach 60 MPH very quickly, quicker then any stock lexus I have seen.

If you want something different go for BMW but be ready to spend money after the warrenty is over. BMW has great program where they cover everything for first 50000 miles including oil changes and brakes, butafter that you are screwed. I cant even remember how much money I have spent on my 540 and still has issues, I am finally selling it.

Good Luck

Last edited by Nilesh; 02-20-08 at 07:25 PM.
Old 02-20-08, 08:51 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

If you're going to switch to a BMW, watch out for this light:
Attached Thumbnails Anyone own a BMW 3 or 5 series before or after your GS?-carisscrewed.jpg  
Old 02-22-08, 01:14 PM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by alredxiii
So you mean to say that you cannot have precise engneering and reliable
that i said was that the engineering is so precise that it will be reliable when warranty is still in effect
but unreliable right when warranty runs out
Old 02-22-08, 02:12 PM
werewolf
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by UberNoob
that i said was that the engineering is so precise that it will be reliable when warranty is still in effect
but unreliable right when warranty runs out
That's right. Parts = profit

I have a friend who works for a German car company and he rejected certain parts in a design b/c they failed too infrequently past a certain number of uses (i.e. after 3 years)
Old 02-22-08, 02:45 PM
kpytoi9
Rookie

ive had an 02 3 series and a 00 540i. The 3 series was very reliable as long as you do the maintenace. The only weakness on the 540 was the cooling system, but once replaced, the car was like new. I kept both til around 100k miles.

Quick Reply: Anyone own a BMW 3 or 5 series before or after your GS?