GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

GS400 Dealer service problem...

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-08 | 04:10 PM
raytseng
Instructor

Originally Posted by DoWnAqT
Alright, ill say this and maybe ill take the heat or whatever...Im a master tech over at a toyota dealer...As for the waterpump seaping after it was replaced...I would need to see the pump to see if the seap hole was seaping (normal) or if a gasket was leaking. either way sometimes **** happens...As for the cam seal going 2 months after....no one is held reliable for that...you can not predict anything when it comes to that kind of stuff, wasnt touched because it looked fine, now its leaking...They could just pop the seals in when they replace the water pump again, since they are in there now...but you would be paying for the extra time to replace them. but not full pop since they are already in there fixing the pump.....

As for the idiot techs at the dealers...yeah they are idiot techs at dealers that use air hammers on **** you wouldnt even think of...and then you have the techs that actually give a **** about what they do..I myself take pride in my work, and ashamed if something goes wrong...But people also really need to understand that no one and I mean no one is perfect...We all make mistakes and the technicians are always the bad people becuause the dealer is charging 100 bucks an hour. also the technician is only getting a 1/4 of that, if that... So what im trying to say it have some respect for these guys, this isnt exactly simple stuff...alot of education is needed to fix cars now days. engines are alot more demanding in clearences, so alot more special care is needed and never mind having to diagnose cars....Sometimes it easy, sometimes you need to rip apart the car to find one stupid little thing.

I like your attitude. I did edit my post to add a paragraph that agrees that sometimes it's not the mechanics fault.
Maybe in the future, you can start/or join your own shop with that attitude in mind and weed out only non-idiots for your crew, and get a bigger slice of the shop rate pie. I'm sure you can get CL members as customers.
Old 03-30-08 | 01:43 AM
stoked
Pit Crew

I have found the course of direction for this thread quite interesting...truly even the best mechanics can make errors, misjudge, and miss potential problems in any maintenance situation. I want to clarify that while I initially was told that my cam seal had failed, it was indeed the crank seal. There were problems between conflicting statements between two independent dealerships. One said that my original water pump was still in the car...the other said that they replaced the pump. I wish I knew better where the crank seal was in relation to the pump, but to have a problem like this within three months and 2500 miles leads someone to wonder. I told the service manager that (before any work was done) that I wanted them to go through the whole engine and replace any seals that showed any signs of age or premature wear. This diagnosis cost me $120. Then a seal breaks, and the tech at another dealer said that the seal was hard as a rock and he had yet to see a seal just explode out of the crank like that.
I do not appreciate that my thread turned into a fight over spelling and competency. This post is not in the rambling section, but was proposed to request opinions on a state of action. I have been in these forums for over seven years and have found them to be very useful, but also am surprised at the amount of thread fighting!