GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

key question??-couldn't find in stickies..

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-08, 04:52 PM
MATEOGS
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default key question??-couldn't find in stickies..

I purchased a 99 gs 300 and the car only came with 2 keys, one that can do everything and one that can only open the doors and the trunk.neither keys have keyless entry and I didn't get a master key with the car.Is there a way I can buy a key blank with the keyless entry and program it without a masterkey??thanks in advance and sorry if it is the stickies and couldn't find it...
Old 01-30-08, 04:55 PM
DarKnight
Lexus Champion

Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts

Do a search for master key.
Old 01-30-08, 05:39 PM
ocean350
Driver

u can call Sewell and ask them about your issue. (i think Tami works there)
i bought one master key with remote recently and it worked fine.
(i do have a master key with remote, though)
or, pm tamicalhou
Old 01-31-08, 12:27 AM
SoCal Cyco
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

how much does the master go for,? other than dealer and ebay

Last edited by SoCal Cyco; 02-02-08 at 12:31 AM.
Old 01-31-08, 01:59 AM
djspawn00
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A master key at the dealer... probably gonna hurt your wallet. I bought a knock off key from ebay for about $60 or so, got it cut, programmed it... no problems at all. I even bought one without the remote functions since I use the remote from my prestige xr9000 instead of built in key remote.
Old 01-31-08, 02:37 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Sewell sells a master with remote for $157 or so. You'll need to program your own key though. I dont know how much the dealer charges though.
Old 01-31-08, 04:33 AM
DarKnight
Lexus Champion

Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts

Programming is easy if you have another master key.
Old 01-31-08, 07:59 PM
MATEOGS
Driver

so buy this key http://www.lexus-parts.com/parts_detail.asp?id=68697
than get it cut and program it with my car and it will become the master key and be able to do all functions??all i have right now are two valet keys(one that can start car,unlock doors and trunk and another that just opens doors and trunk)
Old 02-01-08, 07:41 PM
hurricane
Lead Lap

if u in nyc .. pm me i know a guy that get u a master key and reprogram it for 100$ even .. if u dont have another master key might be more ..
Old 02-01-08, 08:31 PM
natedahms
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

If the key starts the car it is a master key. It does not have to have the remote built into it to be a master key. I went through all this a month ago. I bought a cut remote key from Sewell for $175 or something close than that. All I got with my GS was a master key with out the remote built in. I was able to program the key the second try using the instructions on here and Sewells website. Programing the remote is a whole new story. FYI the directions you'll find in CL forums are correct. I tryed to program the remote using the instructions I found in the forums. No luck. I called JM Lexus here in Ft. Lauderdale and was given the same instructions from a tech that I found here in the forums. Still no luck. I took my GS to JM Lexus. Still no luck. I was told that my two rear door lock actuators were the problem since they were not working. I bought the two actuators, installed them and still no luck. Now if anyone can help me out I'd greatly appreciate it. I spent over $500 to get a remote for my GS to work and still no luck. I have the correct key. All my actuators work. I am able to get my door locks to cycle one time for add, two times for rewrite, three times prohibbit and so on. after that I hold down lock and unlock at the same time for a second or two, then press lock again and all I get is my door locks to cycle twice. I know I have the prossess down pat. Somethings wrong but I have no idea what. Any ideas? Please let me know.
Old 02-02-08, 12:44 AM
SoCal Cyco
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

So is natedahms correct in his statement that if it start the car then it is a master? I have a key that came with the car but it is not even a lexus key but does have a chip in it. Can't I just install an aftermarket alarm system? Or would that mess with other electrical stuff?
Old 02-02-08, 12:49 AM
dung0981
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by natedahms
If the key starts the car it is a master key. It does not have to have the remote built into it to be a master key. I went through all this a month ago. I bought a cut remote key from Sewell for $175 or something close than that. All I got with my GS was a master key with out the remote built in. I was able to program the key the second try using the instructions on here and Sewells website. Programing the remote is a whole new story. FYI the directions you'll find in CL forums are correct. I tryed to program the remote using the instructions I found in the forums. No luck. I called JM Lexus here in Ft. Lauderdale and was given the same instructions from a tech that I found here in the forums. Still no luck. I took my GS to JM Lexus. Still no luck. I was told that my two rear door lock actuators were the problem since they were not working. I bought the two actuators, installed them and still no luck. Now if anyone can help me out I'd greatly appreciate it. I spent over $500 to get a remote for my GS to work and still no luck. I have the correct key. All my actuators work. I am able to get my door locks to cycle one time for add, two times for rewrite, three times prohibbit and so on. after that I hold down lock and unlock at the same time for a second or two, then press lock again and all I get is my door locks to cycle twice. I know I have the prossess down pat. Somethings wrong but I have no idea what. Any ideas? Please let me know.
What year is your car? 02 and up, you need to get it program by the computer.
Old 02-02-08, 08:42 AM
MATEOGS
Driver

but how is my key the master key if it wont unlock the trunk from the inside..dont knowhow to explain this but i can only open with the key from the outside because the trunk lock is locked
Old 02-02-08, 10:17 AM
natedahms
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I have a 98 GS300. I'm not 100% sure but I think the instructions for programing both the key to start the car and the remote to unlock the doors and turnk are the same for 98-04. I'm almost possitive. I have no idea what youre talking about by you cant open the trunk with the key from the inside. You'll have to explain that a little better. I know I programed my remote key I ordered from Sewell Lexus with the key I was given with my car. Its a key with no remote buttons. All it says on it is Silca Italy on one side and TOY48BT4 on the other. It opens the doors, trunk, glove box, and starts the car. Which makes it a master key. A valet key only starts the car and opens the doors. Now if someone can tell me why I am unable to program the remote on the key I ordered from Sewell I woul grealty appreciate it. I was able to program it to start the car. All my actuators work and I know how to do the programming. I am able to get the lock to cycle once for add mode, twice for rewrite mode, three times for prohibbit and so on. after that I hold lock and unlock for a second or two. Then I press lock and everytime my locks cycle twice. The remote key I got from Sewell has a FCC ID:HYQ1512V that should be the right key occording to searches I've done. Ive checked and none of my fuses are blowen. I'm completely stumped as to why I cant get the remote programed.
Old 02-02-08, 10:22 AM
Chin
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If the key can lock/unlock doors, trunk, & glovebox, start car. Then I would call it a master key, whether or not your master key has the 3 button keyless entry built into the head of the key is another story.

Quick Reply: key question??-couldn't find in stickies..