GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

CarbonGS' GS3 Evolving Too!

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-08, 04:53 AM
Wringo
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Carbon King!

The carbon king strikes again! Lol! Looking good my man!
Old 02-03-08, 09:09 AM
carbongs
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by wringo
The carbon king strikes again! Lol! Looking good my man!
thanks wringo, i really hope to meet you and your amazing vehicle one day
Old 02-04-08, 11:22 AM
carbongs
Lexus Champion

lots of fun stuff today, not! just sanding + resin + dry + sanding + resin + dry! lol
Old 02-04-08, 12:21 PM
BigGene
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are you wrapping the bottles in carbon fiber? The project is looking grat!
Old 02-04-08, 02:13 PM
carbongs
Lexus Champion

nah, not the bottles. these are not my actual bottles so i am not wrapping them. eventually i would like to do some carbon accenting on the bottles but we will see. thanks! bottles will be painted glass black to keep the trunk clean.
Old 02-06-08, 08:22 AM
carbongs
Lexus Champion

From today!

Old 02-06-08, 08:35 AM
kit cat

looks great!

I have a question though. I realize you are putting HKS cam gears but why make a cut out on the cover? Are you going to adjust it that frequently? Dunno how the 2JZGE cam gear covers are but seems like a huge risk to expose such an important gear to rocks and debris when it looks like the cover can be taken off with a few bolts.
Old 02-06-08, 08:37 AM
Wringo
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Carbon?

I love the way the wood panels turned out!
Old 02-06-08, 09:00 AM
carbongs
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Coco-bun
looks great!

I have a question though. I realize you are putting HKS cam gears but why make a cut out on the cover? Are you going to adjust it that frequently? Dunno how the 2JZGE cam gear covers are but seems like a huge risk to expose such an important gear to rocks and debris when it looks like the cover can be taken off with a few bolts.
thanks! yeah i just cut the hole for show purposes. i have many friends that run open cam covers, or no covers at all on their cars. my engine bay stays pretty clean. you'll see when i am done. once we put on the cam gear it'll add lots of contrast. again, just for show purposes.

Originally Posted by wringo
I love the way the wood panels turned out!
thanks man! they aren't 100% yet. gots to take them off after the show this week and wetsand and reclear. there are still some bumpy places on them
Old 02-06-08, 09:04 AM
kit cat

Originally Posted by carbongs
thanks! yeah i just cut the hole for show purposes. i have many friends that run open cam covers, or no covers at all on their cars. my engine bay stays pretty clean. you'll see when i am done. once we put on the cam gear it'll add lots of contrast. again, just for show purposes.
forgot you show your GS on a regular basis. i've seen cars with no cam gear covers but those really scare me...

but yeah, the carbonfiber interior pieces did turn out great. and is it just the pictures or is the center piece blended over w/ black wood trim?

Old 02-06-08, 09:25 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,283 Likes on 1,389 Posts

Tony, think the stuff looks great! I know from all your pics that this took a lot of work!

I do have a suggestions and a question for you.

Suggestion: I think you should have an 'all or nothing' approach with this finish... it may be what you have planned for the long run, but I wouldn't mix and match the blackwood with the CF. Too many textures going on.

Question: Is the finish on the overlay material rough and uneven textured? Looks that way in a couple of the pics with the way the light plays off of it. If so, I wonder if there is any way to make it flat and smooth.
Old 02-06-08, 09:34 AM
carbongs
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Coco-bun
forgot you show your GS on a regular basis. i've seen cars with no cam gear covers but those really scare me...

but yeah, the carbonfiber interior pieces did turn out great. and is it just the pictures or is the center piece blended over w/ black wood trim?
no that is supposed to be black faded in there where my nitrous activation and purge buttons are. it is just dirty with my fingerprints lol. no blackwood in there at all.

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
Tony, think the stuff looks great! I know from all your pics that this took a lot of work!

I do have a suggestions and a question for you.

Suggestion: I think you should have an 'all or nothing' approach with this finish... it may be what you have planned for the long run, but I wouldn't mix and match the blackwood with the CF. Too many textures going on.

Question: Is the finish on the overlay material rough and uneven textured? Looks that way in a couple of the pics with the way the light plays off of it. If so, I wonder if there is any way to make it flat and smooth.
thank you so much for your response dave. it always means a lot to me. but yeah there is no more wood at all of any type in the car. just carbon. the carbon is rough since we didn't have time to do another layer or two of resin. once i get back from birmingham this weekend i'll be taking them off again, wet sanding and reclearing them to a smoother finish! they will be SMOOTH lol
Old 02-06-08, 09:42 AM
speedaddic
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

the shift boot doesn't look like it fits very well...do you know anybody that does sewing? The carbon is definately bumpy as well. The "fade in" wouldve looked better just as a whole piece of carbon. That's why Lexus has the whole piece wood, not half and half. Just my opinion.

Ever thought of doing the front double din dash kit in carbon? That would finish your look off pretty sweet.
Old 02-06-08, 10:21 AM
carbongs
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by speedaddic
the shift boot doesn't look like it fits very well...do you know anybody that does sewing? The carbon is definately bumpy as well. The "fade in" wouldve looked better just as a whole piece of carbon. That's why Lexus has the whole piece wood, not half and half. Just my opinion.

Ever thought of doing the front double din dash kit in carbon? That would finish your look off pretty sweet.
It fits perfectly for the gear box. when i go down to L it doesn't have any tension. yeah i know the carbon is rough but as i stated before, it will be resanded and recleared after this weekend. we didnt' have carbon large enough to cover the whole center console piece that's why we had to do it like that i am planning on getting the kit for the dash pieces in carbon, the way we do it is too thick, i think, to have it cover those pieces. thanks for the input though, i really appreciate the feedback. i know there's lots of things here and there that would look better and that's why i rely on you guys to give input. it is always appreciated
Old 02-06-08, 01:02 PM
UncleRay
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow carbon, you are really kickin' it! Love the new trunk set up you have, it's very unique If I may suggest, try wrapping CF on the reflector bowl in your head lights. It'll probably give it a little touch

Quick Reply: CarbonGS' GS3 Evolving Too!