GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Don't EVER get your tires aligned at SEARS!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-08, 05:44 PM
kenkaniff
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Don't EVER get your tires aligned at SEARS!!!!!!!

So I bought two new tires and had Sears mount, balance, and align the tires. I come back 2 hours later and think everything's cool. It's dark at night and I'm tired and I go inside my house. I wake up this morning and the passenger side foglight is MISSING!!

I don't know if one of those techs stole it, or when the tech drove it up the ramp to get aligned, hit something and jossled the foglight loose, so that on the drive home it fell off.

UGH.

I talked to the manager and he said to come by the shop sometime tomorrow.

What will they do? Will they actually pay for the replacement?

UGH.
Old 02-05-08, 05:48 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

i would fight to hell and high water.

i hear ya on sear's cust. service though, once i took my old car there for a simple 4 wheel alignment and instead of the promised 30-45mins i was there for THREE HOURS!
Old 02-05-08, 06:56 PM
tofu_house
Lexus Champion

I'm not saying that they didn't take the foglight but I'm not quite sure you can say they did.

The foglight is probably the easiest car part to steal besides airhole cap for the tires.

All you need is a screwdriver and BAM, the foglight is gone.
Old 02-05-08, 07:06 PM
kenkaniff
Pole Position

I have a real sensitive Clifford remote start alarm. If anyone attempted to steal it, it would've went off. It didn't.
Old 02-05-08, 09:28 PM
LEXUS_KID
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why go there in the first place
Old 02-06-08, 04:16 AM
kit cat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

FYI: I know someone I trust and I goto Sears (and it's in a really bad neighborhood) for alignment for my car. He follows me step by step and tells me what caster/toe/camber I should go for my lowered car and did an excellent job.

I'm sorry about your incident but just wanted to say there are good Sears alignment places also...but then again, I would NEVER goto Sears if it wasn't for this one guy.
Old 02-06-08, 05:09 AM
5sp_jzz30
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

^^^^agreed. the sears by my house sucks but i know a guy there that does my alignments all the time. he tracks his cars too so i send friends there for alignments on their lowered cars.

as far as the fog light....did you do a walk around of your car before you left? you do you think it was sears? i try to do as much work on my car as i can but when i have to take it to a shop i always check everything before i leave. you would be surprised what people can screw up by doing the simplest jobs. when im not away at school at NIU i work at circuit city in the mobile audio install department and hate when people blame us for obviously blatant stuff that we didnt do. i have so many stories from the last 4 years.

i.e.
a guy with a GS400 to have a flip out screen installed. then comes back next day saying that we scratched up his door panel(passenger side too) and wants us to replace it. while he is telling me this story he has his dog clawing to get to the window....on the passenger side. guess what i told him.

not to offend anyone here but every "high end" car owner that was just a customer and not a referral or a friend i have ever dealt with was a total dik. the only exception was a guy with a Lamborghini Gualardo that i did a navigation for. he even gave me the keys and told me to take it out for a spin. i didnt want to do it but he was "have some fun, how often do you get to drive one of these?" so i drove...about 130 in 40mph zone

EDITED: woohoo my 500th post
Old 02-06-08, 05:22 AM
MadDawg350
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to hear of your troubles. IMO, Sears is only good for one thing and one thing only - tools.
Old 02-06-08, 05:43 AM
kit cat

Originally Posted by 5sp_jzz30
you would be surprised what people can screw up by doing the simplest jobs.
don't even get me started on this one
Old 02-06-08, 05:59 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The tech probably used a Craftsman screw driver to remove the fog light j/k

I am sure the situation wil be resolved with the manager..Good luck.
Old 02-06-08, 06:02 AM
speedaddic
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

not sure why a tech would waste his time stealing a fog light but...um ok....
Old 02-06-08, 06:10 AM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by kenkaniff
So I bought two new tires and had Sears mount, balance, and align the tires. I come back 2 hours later and think everything's cool. It's dark at night and I'm tired and I go inside my house. I wake up this morning and the passenger side foglight is MISSING!!

I don't know if one of those techs stole it, or when the tech drove it up the ramp to get aligned, hit something and jossled the foglight loose, so that on the drive home it fell off.

UGH.

I talked to the manager and he said to come by the shop sometime tomorrow.

What will they do? Will they actually pay for the replacement?

UGH.
So you think trashing a reputable business because YOU were too tired to inspect your car after having it returned to you. Look at your statement and notice where I highlighted YOUR admitted actions. If you don't know, suck up the loss like a man and move on. It's a $75 dollar part that can be replaced by checking the classifieds and YOU taking the initiative to replace the philips head screws holding in your fogs with hex head screws to protect your investment.

I feel your pain over someone taking your property but if you couldn't rule out Sears by checking over your car when you received it, then trashing the reputation of people in a public forum based on no evidence is silly. How stupid would a mechanic be to take a chance that you aren't going to notice a MISSING FOG light, when you pick up your car?

Seriously, "Don't EVER get your tires aligned at Sears" for a thread title? Shouldn't it be "Check your car whenever you turn it over to someone and and it's returned to you, don't be lazy like I was"
Old 02-06-08, 07:34 AM
upstateGS4
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a real sensitive Clifford remote start alarm. If anyone attempted to steal it, it would've went off. It didn't.
clifford remote start alarm? i got $1000 on me being able to remove your other fog light without that alarm making a single meep. i dont care if you have 10 shock sensors.

Originally Posted by oohpapi44
So you think trashing a reputable business because YOU were too tired to inspect your car after having it returned to you. Look at your statement and notice where I highlighted YOUR admitted actions. If you don't know, suck up the loss like a man and move on. It's a $75 dollar part that can be replaced by checking the classifieds and YOU taking the initiative to replace the philips head screws holding in your fogs with hex head screws to protect your investment.

I feel your pain over someone taking your property but if you couldn't rule out Sears by checking over your car when you received it, then trashing the reputation of people in a public forum based on no evidence is silly. How stupid would a mechanic be to take a chance that you aren't going to notice a MISSING FOG light, when you pick up your car?

Seriously, "Don't EVER get your tires aligned at Sears" for a thread title? Shouldn't it be "Check your car whenever you turn it over to someone and and it's returned to you, don't be lazy like I was"
agreed, 100%.. and your idea about replacing the philips with hex heads is great, every little bit helps. somebody can have a philips built into a swiss army knife, the hex heads far less probable. never thought of that but im going to do it now that you mentioned it. thanks.
Old 02-06-08, 07:40 AM
kit cat

didn't you have to give your key to the technician who did the alignment?
Old 02-06-08, 07:45 AM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Coco-bun
didn't you have to give your key to the technician who did the alignment?
I think he's trying to imply that his alarm is so sensitve his car is going to notice someone unscrewing a 1/2 inch screw from his front bumper in the middle of the night. So no one could have taken his fogs at night and it HAS to be the Sears Tech.

Quick Reply: Don't EVER get your tires aligned at SEARS!!!!!!!