GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Apexi S-AFC tips

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-02, 10:33 PM
GS - T.O.
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Apexi S-AFC tips

Hi,

I recently installed S-AFC on my GS300. I was going to wait untill I dyno my car to do this post but my work kept me really busy, so the dyno will have to wait. For now, I will try to clear up some of the confusion regarding S-AFC.

1. S-AFC connector comes with many different wires. However, for our GS, it doesn't need all of them. The ones I used are Black, Brown, Red, Green, White, Yellow and Gray. Each of their function are as follow,

Brown and Black for ground.
Red for power (Vdd).
Green for rpm.
White for Air Flow input.
Yellow for Air Flow output.
Gray for throttle.

2. The tapping connection should follow the T10-a exactly for GS300. I am not sure about GS400 or GS430. There were some discussion about the throttle signal doesn't follow the diagram for GS4 in past posts. If anyone know the right answer to this for GS4, feel free to add to this post.

3. Spicing a signal means tapping into a signal. It doesn't require cutting. The signal is tap so that S-AFC can see what ECU is seeing. S-AFC uses rpm and throttle signal to adjust the Air Flow signal. With this said, the only wire need to be cut is the Air Flow signal. S-AFC intercept this signal and produce a new one for the ECU.

4. Remove negative terminal of your battery when working.

5. Feel free to unplug the OEM connector to the ECU. This will give you more room to work. Each connector are unique, so don't worry about which one goes where after.

6. This may sound stupid, but it is very important - make sure you have the correct orientation of the T-10a diagram with respect to the ECU. If you have it upside down, all the wires that get tapped will be incorrect, and you might damage the S-AFC!

7. The correct sensor for our car is Hot Wire 13. This should be set for both IN and OUT.

8. Air Flow signal doesn't reach 100% is normal. In fact, the max I reached was only 60%.

I hope this will help you install the S-AFC. It look really cool at night and it should give you some extra HP! Once I have the dyno number, I will post that as well. Good luck!
Old 01-28-02, 10:35 PM
GS - T.O.
Driver

pics of the diagram with ECU opened.
Attached Thumbnails Apexi S-AFC tips-dscf0074-small.jpg  
Old 01-28-02, 10:36 PM
GS - T.O.
Driver

close up of ECU before spicing.
Attached Thumbnails Apexi S-AFC tips-dscf0075-small.jpg  
Old 01-28-02, 10:38 PM
GS - T.O.
Driver

finish result.
Attached Thumbnails Apexi S-AFC tips-dscf0102-small.jpg  
Old 01-28-02, 10:40 PM
CSHFLW
Lexus Test Driver

I've got some ???

Which T10-a? I have multiple copies of thats...each 100% different.....I got to go look at it again and then shoot you some more ? but bottom line....every function works? Also did you get all the wires for the SAFC spliced or cut at the ECU? Thanks
Old 01-28-02, 10:47 PM
GS - T.O.
Driver

The T10-a diagram from the Apexi web site is the correct one. It match the one in my manual as well. I spliced all the signals except for Air Flow, since that need to be cut for the S-AFC to do it's job. If you want to be safe, you can splice everything first, just leave the Yellow wire along. This way, S-AFC is only monitoring the signals.
Old 01-28-02, 11:35 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

very nice! can't wait til DYNO numbers!

btw, how did you manage to have the S-AFC rest in that pop-out tray? Did you have to cut it? Any details on how to do that? any close-up pics of it? thanks alot!
Old 01-28-02, 11:46 PM
RacingAristo

Ray,

You may want to come along when I install the S-AFC.
Old 01-29-02, 12:21 AM
CSHFLW
Lexus Test Driver

looks familier....
Attached Thumbnails Apexi S-AFC tips-lexus-stereo-018.jpg  
Old 01-29-02, 07:39 AM
LexusRules
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

thats so sweet man

Old 01-29-02, 06:37 PM
GS - T.O.
Driver

Hi Globe,

To put the S-AFC into the tray require a lot of custom work and cutting. I used a dremel to cut out most of the plastic. Then I use a trimer to trim the edge. I spend about half a day working on it. The ash tray can be remove easily, it is only connected via clips. You need to move the shift *** to N, then open the tray and pull.

To hide the wire you need to open the center console area (the wood piece). First remove the trim around the shifter. Then pull the wood piece upward (you might need to use a flat head screw driver with some tape to help you get started). It is held via clips only as well. Once you pull up a bit, remove the connected for the VSC and seat warmer switch (all the lexus wires are cut to almost exact length, so very little room to work). Once you open up everything, it will become clear what you need to do.

Sorry I don't have the pics for all this stuff, but you should be able to find them at Autotoys.com . Search for Lexus MD installation on their site. Good luck Ray!
Old 01-29-02, 06:40 PM
GS - T.O.
Driver

Originally posted by CSHFLW
looks familier....
Thanks for showing me that possibility! You are still the first to do it!
Old 01-29-02, 07:06 PM
GS3-Kid858
Driver

hey GS- T.O i was wondering if u could take a close up pic with the S-AFC spliced into the ECU? also i was wondering how did u do the setting or did the S-AFC do it for u? thanks in advance
Old 01-29-02, 07:20 PM
GS - T.O.
Driver

Hi GS3-Kid858,

S-AFC doesn't do the setting for you. You need to follow the manual and do the setup yourself.

Pics will have to come later, my friend borrowed my camera for a few days ...
Old 01-29-02, 07:59 PM
hubbard316
Pole Position

Are you still able to close the ash tray?

Quick Reply: Apexi S-AFC tips