GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Nakamichi VS. Mark Levinson

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-02, 09:57 PM
ShowGSLuVv
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nakamichi VS. Mark Levinson

I want to know of anyone who has listened to both audio systems, and hear ur guy's comments on which one is better, and by how much, bass, treble, all that good stuff

ShOwGS
Old 01-31-02, 08:09 AM
omegadoug
Driver School Candidate

I haven't heard either system, however, based on what I know about audiophile quality home systems, Levinson is tops.

Unfortunately, I think there is a ceiling on car audio quality regardless of producer because there is only so much air to move in the interior of a car.
Old 01-31-02, 08:15 AM
ThemisN
Pole Position

Originally posted by omegadoug
I haven't heard either system, however, based on what I know about audiophile quality home systems, Levinson is tops.

Unfortunately, I think there is a ceiling on car audio quality regardless of producer because there is only so much air to move in the interior of a car.
I would say you are looking at it the wrong way. In fact, I would think that most audiophiles regard a car, in general, capable of a better sound stage and fullness as opposed to a room in a home. Now stock locations cannot achieve this usually.

As far as trying to associate the success of Levinson in the home market and now in Lexus...they are two entirely different things. First off, Levinson does not necessarily do everything they want to their liking. This was the same for nakamichi, as if they used the components they would idealy like to use, that system wouldve sounded even better. This is all under cost restraints and specifications given by Lexus. Either way no assumption can be made on the basis you have shown that Levinson is better than Nakamichi...I would just hope that there is an evolution in the quality of factory upgrade systems instead of going backwards.
Old 01-31-02, 08:15 AM
gsnav
Lead Lap

Forget those systems, a lot of audio guys will tell you they are not that good, to beat it, you can just upgrade yoru speakers with the well known Dynaudio speakers and change the sub.
Old 01-31-02, 08:36 AM
ThemisN
Pole Position

Originally posted by gsnav
Forget those systems, a lot of audio guys will tell you they are not that good, to beat it, you can just upgrade yoru speakers with the well known Dynaudio speakers and change the sub.
I agree..ultimately, thats the way to go if you have a somewhat discerning ear.
Old 01-31-02, 08:44 AM
fangtl
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Not Really

Every real "audiophile" knows that anything currently carrying the Mark Levinson name is not really a Mark Levinson system. it hasn't been for almost 20 years.

Mark Levinson founded Mark Levinson Audio Systems (MLAS) in the early seventies, but due to personal and financial problems in the early 80s, he sold his name to a company that I cannot recalled right now. So since the early 80's, anything that is branded with the Levinson name is not actually Levinson developed or Levinson built, it's just a name.

Mark is currently the President and CEO of Red Rose Music ( redrosemusic.com ), your can read reviews about them on virtually any home audio magazine. Mark Levinson would never deviate from home audio, NEVER. He has never associated himself with any automotive manufacture in the sense that BOSE has associated with Acura, Mazda, and many others. In fact, if you want the real story, you should stop by Red Rose Music in New York City and speak with Mark himself.

Now regarding the Nak and "ML" system in the Lexuses, I have listened to the ML system, and frankly, I am not all that impressed. Remember, there is a placebo effect here; after all, when one hears of Mark Levinson, the immediate reaction is one of respect. Therefore, even if the mechanics are somewhat suspect, customers will often just stand in awe of the fact, that this is a Mark Levinson branded system. Regardless, the system you are hearing in the GSs and LSs are decent OEM systems; however, they can easily be defeated with an aftermarket system of minimal/medium caliber.

Email me if you want more details regarding the ML systems, I have already taken up too much bandwidth.
Old 01-31-02, 10:16 AM
omegadoug
Driver School Candidate

Interesting, I did not know that about Mr. Levinson. I'm not a card carrying audiophile, and my wallet thanks me for it.
Old 01-31-02, 12:57 PM
ShowGSLuVv
Lexus Test Driver

Well I have the Mark Levinson system and It's very good for a stock system I think, I know they have alot better aftermarket speakers, But here in Michigan there isn't anyone who would really be certified enough to do any work regarding forign cars. Take for instance a Place called Mickey shores, which every one of my friends who have had work done to there cars, be it TV's, system, etc etc. Have had alot of electrical problems, Even the Grand prix, which my brother installed a cerwin vega stroker fried the alternater twice... and it was only running a 250 watt PPI amp, so there had to have been something wrong with the way they hooked it up ya know.

ShOwGS
Old 02-01-02, 12:46 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The name "MARK LEVINSON" is owned by Harman International (they also own Harman Kardon, Infinity, JBL, etc...) www.harman.com

Personally, I have heard both systems and I think the ML system is bit better. While I'm not a huge fan on the ML system in Lexus cars (I've blown my ML Amp more times that I'd like to talk about), it does sound good (except for the rattles caused by the bass, but that's another issue)